1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Metalworking - Ron Covell workshop

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Metalworking - Ron Covell workshop

I believe that most of us are familiar with Ron Covell and the extraordinary metal work that he does. This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend one of his 2-day classes on sheetmetal forming. I own and have watched many of his videos but there is no substitute for seeing him operate in person. I would encourage anyone who has an interest in forming metal to attend one of his workshops and see the master at work. Ron is a soft-spoken man who has a passion for metal working and is more than eager to share his passion with others. He answered all my questions thoroughly and with forethought, needless to say I was impressed. Grant Peterson was there taking pictures and said that this event would be featured in an upcoming issue of Classic Trucks magazine. Ron writes a monthly article for this mag called "Professor Hammer" which is a good read as well.
I have done bodywork on and off since I was in high school some 45 years ago and I thought I knew how to work metal...I learned that some of the hammer/dolly techniques that I used were causing many of the problems that I was trying to solve. Talk about an epiphany!
If metal work is a challenge for you then I would encourage you to watch his basic and advanced DVDs on metal shaping and welding. He told us that he was coming out with an advanced TIG DVD soon where he addresses welding of exotic metals and alloys.
I have a couple of cabs that have been pushed to the back of the garage because the rust or dents were too severe to even consider a restoration, especially the drip rails. Now I feel that I have the tools to tackle these jobs and maybe be able to put a couple of these 56's back on the road where they belong.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
councilman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

knowledge is power. Share the wealth.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've been tempted to attend one, even tho bodywork is behind me.

Did he talk at all about sources of sheet metal? The shops around here don't seem to have the right kinds.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Sheet metal types and properties were discussed and handouts provided. Suppliers were discussed and local suppliers listed. The metal that Ron uses is "drawing quality" which is readily available but most suppliers want to sell it in quantity so that may be a problem in your area. Even with bodywork "behind you", there are still may projects that can be done using hammerforming...dash trim, exterior trim, grill sections, even the elusive Big Job hood scoop would be a fairly simple project with this technique. One of the gentlemen in the class had actually made an air cleaner for his 59 Chevy that had the same shape as the rear section of the car...looked really good and was even featured in R&C magazine. He was an average guy, not a metalsmith by any means, and yet with a little knowledge went on to fabricate a one-of-a-kind accessory for his car.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Ron is the MAN! metal shaping really isn't that difficult and doesn't require a large investment in tools. There are a few basic techniques, and then analizing the form you are trying to make to decide the best way to tackle it. Two major stumbling blocks novices run into is thinking that a complex panel must be formed out of one piece just because the factory did it that way with multi ton stamping presses, and not understanding the difference between working "on dolly" and "off dolly" and the effect each produces in the metal. Many think that most work in done "on dolly" when the opposite is much more often the proper technique to use, so they end up stretching and work hardening the panel creating more problems than fixing.
The deep drawing cold rolled steel is somewhat difficult to find because as Charlie said the metals house must buy it in full crates, but just regular cold rolled sheet steel will work satisfactory for most forming and is even available from places like Lowes or Home Depot if you don't need large pieces and don't mind paying the price. You can recognize cold rolled sheet by it's silver color as opposed to hot rolled that has a dark blackish color. At the DIY stores it is often labeled "weld steel".

Old 02-28-2010, 01:18 AM
oldmanrvr5
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, I agree metal working difficult without the proper tools. I have been a tool and die maker for over 15 years. I currently work at a place called Jedco Aerospace. I work with all kinds of steel from cold rolled to titanium. I have built all kinds of draw dies , blank dies, to progressive dies, transfer dies, and stainless steel hot form dies. I have worked in the automotive and in the aerospace industries. A current project at work is taking a piece of titanium that worth $50,000.00 and is about a 1/2 inch thick and hot forming it. This is a process that requires the dies to reach a temperature of about 1800 degrees while the press is in operation. ( gets a bit hot in the summer for the press operators).

I have a ton of different tools that I built myself for metal working. Most of the tools have been built on cnc machines or various other machines we have at the shop. Welding is a big part of the daily job, mig, tig, mostly. Welding is a art that requires a great deal of patients when working with thin sheet metals and various materials.

I want to get back to working on the 56 but the classes at ITT are taking up a great deal of my time. Just starting to get into electronics and will have a the classes for computer electronics and engineering completed by December of 2010.

The current project that I have going on the 56 is designing a tilt front end that operates by hydraulics, without cutting the fenders up. Trying to slide the front end forward with a 12 volt hydraulic cylinder pump and then lift the one piece front end up to work inside on the motor. Waiting for all this darn snow to disappear.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:25 AM
oldmanrvr5
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a picture of a tool I built this month. Tim

Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
It doesn't require a lot of expensive specialized tools to work sheet metal for one of a kind projects. Many are already in a decently equipped shop.
A sandbag, inexpensive or homemade bending brake, a good sized bench vise, Plastic or wood torpedo mallet, pick hammer, slap hammer, cross peen hammer, toe, heel, universal dollies, rubber dolly or hockey puck, old wood baseball bat or two, set of compound metal shears, some pliers, duckbill vise grips would be a good basic set of tools. Many used body tools can be picked up inexpensively on ebay or at flea markets. a little clean up and refurbishment and they are as good as new. Try to buy used name brands: Martin, Snap-on, etc over cheap imports, the steel and balance is much better.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlie you are very fortunate to have gotten a lesson directly from Ron. I have viewed his DVDs and learned a lot. But in person would be great.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I bought a couple of his videos while at the workshop, the one that he did with Ron Fournier on hammerforming is really good...that is the one that took the magic out of a lot of the shaped metal pieces that I always wondered about. Ron Covell has a new DVD that will be released shortly that is on advanced TIG welding and deals with many of the more exotic metals...I'm not there yet but it's always fun to dream.
Frank C., if you like Ron's videos then you would really enjoy the workshop...he comes across in person EXACTLY as he does on video, there is no acting involved when they tape his videos he is just a very soft-spoken intelligent man who has a knack for explaining his techniques clearly. I have to give my wife credit here...it was she who bought the workshop for me for Valentine's Day. Yep, she's a keeper!