Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior User

93f250tn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best oil to use on high mileage 95 f150?

My buddy is changing the oil tommorow and kinda stuck between what oil to use... its a 95 f150 4x4 with the 351w and has 201k miles. Hes using the truck for work so hes doing it for me. I was planning on telling him to use mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic motor oil but i was thinking if i should switch to the high mileage stuff and if i should switch to 10w30. I have used the oil before in my 98 camaro Z28 that had a built LS1 pushing 420rwhp and loved it but im new to trucks and the 351w so im not excatly sure what this engine likes and dosent like Thanks for the input Also is it worth spending the money on the more expensive oil or should i just us conventional?
1997 F250HD 4x4 7.3 powerstroke ext. cab long bed - Straight piped factory exhaust, MBRP 3" downpipe, Napa air filter, TW custom 6 pos chip, shift kit, Add-a-leafs on all 4 corners, 325/60r18 Toyo's, 20% tint, Isspro gauges
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Postmaster

nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.
worth every penny! I have a small SUV I run Mobil one 15000 mile protection in and go 10K between oil changes with 5K oil filter changes. I would definatly stay with at least 1 qt of synthetic as it give the oil better lubrication properties (ie out performs conventional oils all the way on a falinx (spell check) test. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic for trucks and SUV's haven't got brave enough to go 10K with the trucks yet... But easy to go 5K with plenty of oil life left. ALSO GET A WIX! they are the best oil filter you can get besides a Royal Purple oil filter which are only sold a Pep Boyz right now... ugh!!!! anyway spend the $5 extra bucks and your engine will love you for it... think about it like getting the Shlitz or Bud Light... which would you rather have... Personally if I was your engine I'd hope you buy the good stuff!

PS google the falinx test for synthetic oils... or Trucks had it on Power Block just the other day... Oh and mobile 1 is known to be one of the top runners for synthetic oil quality... I did weeks of research before i settled on mobil 1 synthetics... it's all I use now.
Ol' Girl 83 F150 NP208 300 T18 - For sale!

Nathan - FTE Iowa Chapter
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Posting Guru

DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've been running Castrol high mileage in my 91 F150 [10w40] and my wifes 97 jeep cherokee [5w30] since we bought them and haven't had any trouble. I've used Castrol in all my vehicles and it seems to be a good oil, tho opinions seem to vary on it.

Ultimately it comes down to you, what you want to run vs. what can afford.
"Official Project Stages: (1) Uncritical Acceptance. (2) Wild Enthusiasm (3) Dejected Disillusionment. (4) Total Confusion. (5) Search for the Guilty. (6) Punishment of the Innocent. (7) Promotion of the Non-participants."
-Unknown
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstueve View Post
worth every penny! I have a small SUV I run Mobil one 15000 mile protection in and go 10K between oil changes with 5K oil filter changes. I would definatly stay with at least 1 qt of synthetic as it give the oil better lubrication properties (ie out performs conventional oils all the way on a falinx (spell check) test. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic for trucks and SUV's haven't got brave enough to go 10K with the trucks yet... But easy to go 5K with plenty of oil life left. ALSO GET A WIX! they are the best oil filter you can get besides a Royal Purple oil filter which are only sold a Pep Boyz right now... ugh!!!! anyway spend the $5 extra bucks and your engine will love you for it... think about it like getting the Shlitz or Bud Light... which would you rather have... Personally if I was your engine I'd hope you buy the good stuff!

PS google the falinx test for synthetic oils... or Trucks had it on Power Block just the other day... Oh and mobile 1 is known to be one of the top runners for synthetic oil quality... I did weeks of research before i settled on mobil 1 synthetics... it's all I use now.
Thanks for your advice! where can i find the WIX oil filter? and if i cant whats the second best to go with?
1997 F250HD 4x4 7.3 powerstroke ext. cab long bed - Straight piped factory exhaust, MBRP 3" downpipe, Napa air filter, TW custom 6 pos chip, shift kit, Add-a-leafs on all 4 corners, 325/60r18 Toyo's, 20% tint, Isspro gauges
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Elder User

fishforlife2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
wix filter is the best for the money...i personally run amsoil 10w30, but if i didnt run that valvoline's maxlife is one of the best ones out rite now as far as high mileage oil is concerned. the maxlife comes in a semi, and full synthetic. i believe you can get a 5 qt. jug at wally world for bout 30 bucks. mobil 1 is a great oil when it comes down to it, however it is like a old technology when you compare it to some of the others. for you like i said above i would reccommend valvoline maxlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
The only way this Bronco could get any better is if Jessica Alba and Lindsey Lohan made love and waxed this Bronco with their combined love juices.
1995 F150 Flareside w/ six cylinders of fury, SAS'd, Locked, and sittin on 35's for now
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM
New User

rmeyer001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What about coke buildup and losing oil pressure?

OK, so what about this high mileage engine and running an oil that may inadvertently "clean up" the engine and thus drop your oil pressure. Example: Back in the early 90's I bought a high mileage 1977 F150 and ran a synthetic oil, thinking it was the best thing for this older truck, and it removed all the coke (ash) buildup that is common in high mileage engines, and it made my oil pressure drop, really drop, like to 10-20lbs. I ended up rebuilding and the mains were nice and smooth with no buildup, but that coke that was there and had made the gap much smaller, now the coke was gone and the gap was much larger and the oil pressure dropped. Think of a levee and a river. I am now in the same boat now with the truck I just bought has 180K. When I did the water pump, some bolts broke and I had to remove the timing chain cover... this let me see the front inside part of the oil pan and there was this black hard film on the inside of the oil pan. I want the best lubrication for my truck, but I don't want to remove buildup that is keeping my oil pressure up. Remember, I don't know the history of this truck. For you guys that have had them since low mileage, and properly maintained them, I think synthetic is fine, but my question is what about these high mileage ones that may have a build up?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer001 View Post
OK, so what about this high mileage engine and running an oil that may inadvertently "clean up" the engine and thus drop your oil pressure. Example: Back in the early 90's I bought a high mileage 1977 F150 and ran a synthetic oil, thinking it was the best thing for this older truck, and it removed all the coke (ash) buildup that is common in high mileage engines, and it made my oil pressure drop, really drop, like to 10-20lbs. I ended up rebuilding and the mains were nice and smooth with no buildup, but that coke that was there and had made the gap much smaller, now the coke was gone and the gap was much larger and the oil pressure dropped. Think of a levee and a river. I am now in the same boat now with the truck I just bought has 180K. When I did the water pump, some bolts broke and I had to remove the timing chain cover... this let me see the front inside part of the oil pan and there was this black hard film on the inside of the oil pan. I want the best lubrication for my truck, but I don't want to remove buildup that is keeping my oil pressure up. Remember, I don't know the history of this truck. For you guys that have had them since low mileage, and properly maintained them, I think synthetic is fine, but my question is what about these high mileage ones that may have a build up?
Thanks,
Rick
Very good point rick! as far as my truck gos it was very well maintained... i am the second owner and the first was a ford manager that seems like he has kept it very well maintained but i dont want to take any chances. I could always go with the synthetic blend instead of the full on synthetic max life oil? BTW to give you an idea on how well kept the engine was i seafoamed the truck when i got it at 190k miles and there was very little carbon buildup because there wasnt very much white smoke at all which if it had alot of buildup it would have smoked for awhile and alot so im guessing based on that the engine was very well maintained but im not sure if that is a good thing to measure by?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Postmaster

White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93f250tn View Post
Thanks for your advice! where can i find the WIX oil filter? and if i cant whats the second best to go with?

Go to NAPA, wix makes NAPA filters... Actually NAPA filters ARE WIX filters, just renumbered..
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't think that full synthetic is necessary at all. What oil has been run in the truck for most of its life? If it has had Valvoline conventional all its life, I would switch the their Max Life. If it has had Pennzoil all its life, then I would go to Pennzoil high mileage. I wouldn't switch brands, but you could go to synthetic blend.

You don't need a Wix filter although Wix is good. Just get an FL1A Motorcraft, if you can't find a Wix.

By the way, I don't care if Amsoil is the best on the market. It is a pyramid scheme and I don not support that at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Junior User

John SCB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 View Post
I don't think that full synthetic is necessary at all.
I agree 100%. Scheduled dino oil changes are fine if that's how the engine started at the factory. It's also more economical than going synthetic this late in life. I've heard more bad things about changing to syn later on than good things. At 169,000 miles my 5.8L has always been fine with conventional 10w/30...no complaints.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Postmaster

nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.nstueve has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'd just like to clearify my statements from above... A synthetic will improve your oils quality... the only reason I am running full synthetic is because i do 10K oil changes (crazy right... had the oil lab tested and it was still good for another 3-4K!) anyhow my old man uses Castrol GTX 10W30 and adds a quart of synthetic to his truck. gives a little extra protection and life to oil without streching it thin or to a consistancy that the engine isn't used to...

Ask the PO what he put in...
Ol' Girl 83 F150 NP208 300 T18 - For sale!

Nathan - FTE Iowa Chapter
Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 PM
New User

greyduk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a 95 F-150 with a 351w also... and I'm getting a valve-tap type sound out of the passenger side of the engine. I haven't gotten to removing the valve cover yet to see if there's anything loose in there, as I'd rather get a more confident idea of what it is first. One shop recommended using a higher viscosity oil next oil change to see if that makes it go away at all... Last time was 10w30 and time before that was 5w40, sounds the same both ways.... Would the advice about full synthetic being unnecessary still apply here? It's got just under 130k miles on it.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Junior User

nashaj is starting off with a positive reputation.
AMSOIL 0W30, read up on it. It's great stuff!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstueve View Post
think about it like getting the Shlitz or Bud Light...
OMG that made me laugh out loud!!!

Wow, some people think bud light is the "good stuff". Yikes!

If you haven't been using synthetic, don't switch to it at 200k. Your engine will start leaking everywhere. Use a high-quality conventional oil.

If your engine has under 50k or so then definitely switch to Mobil 1 - it's the best oil you can buy for your engine. But not at 200k.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduk View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a 95 F-150 with a 351w also... and I'm getting a valve-tap type sound out of the passenger side of the engine. I haven't gotten to removing the valve cover yet to see if there's anything loose in there, as I'd rather get a more confident idea of what it is first. One shop recommended using a higher viscosity oil next oil change to see if that makes it go away at all... Last time was 10w30 and time before that was 5w40, sounds the same both ways.... Would the advice about full synthetic being unnecessary still apply here? It's got just under 130k miles on it.

Thanks!
Before you tear into the engine, what oil filter is on it? If its a Fram, try replacing it with an FL1A.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1996, 351w, conventional, dino, engines, f150, filter, ford, high, mileage, mileiage, oil, truck, trucks, weight, wix