1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

CEL and no idea again

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
drivembig
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL and no idea again

Well I finally bit the bullet and paid Ford to check out my 1995 F350 dually. I could't find a code reader that would read my truck. The code is a P1212. The tech said that the ICP had shorted out because of a wiring issue and damaged that circuit in the PCM. He said that I would need a new PCM and maybe a new ICP sensor.

Any idea how to determine if this is the case or not. He said that the truck was only reading 725 psi of oil pressure to the injectors and that no matter what RPM it didn't change, so he ran a new wire from the ICP sensor to the PCM and he said it was the same. He wanted to make sure it wasn't the wiring harness.

My question is, before I go spending big bucks on a new PCM. Is there any other thing that would be affected if the PCM was bad? Or, should I start by replacing the ICP sensor first?

Either way, where would be the best place to buy the parts?

B.T.W. This problem was all my fault by trying the ICP mod and shorting out the wires myself........trying to switch resistors back and forth and not securing them well.......Thought that might help a bit....

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
drivembig
Senior User
I found some awesome information after I posted this thread. I guesss I will be doing some checking in the morning.

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER></CENTER>
SIGNAL FUNCTIONS
The Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor is a variable capacitance sensor that when supplied with a 5 volt reference signal from the PCM produces a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure.
The ICP sensor's primary function is to provide a feedback signal to indicate injection control pressure to enable the PCM to command the correct injector timing and pulse width and the correct injection control pressure for proper fuel delivery at all speed and load conditions.
FAULT DETECTION MANAGEMENT
If the PCM detects a malfunctioning ICP sensor, the CHECK ENGINE lamp will illuminate. The PCM will go to open loop control of injection control pressure. (Operate from an estimated ICP pressure.)
At idle, the NGS tool will display a fixed PID value of 725 PSI for ICPA when a signal fault is present.
<CENTER></CENTER>
<CENTER>After removing connector always check for damaged pins, corrosion, loose terminals, etc.</CENTER>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=3>Connector Checks to Ground (B-)</TH></TR><TR><TH colSpan=3>(Check with Sensor Connector Disconnected and Ignition key off, all accessories off)</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Test Points</TD><TD align=middle>Spec.</TD><TD align=middle>Comments</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>A to Grd.</TD><TD align=middle>< 5 ohms</TD><TD>Resistance to chassis ground check with key off, if > than 5 ohms harness is open.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>B to Grd.</TD><TD align=middle>> 1000 ohms</TD><TD>Resistance less than 1000 ohms indicates a short to ground.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>C to Grd.</TD><TD align=middle>> 1000 ohms</TD><TD>Resistance less than 1000 ohms indicates a short to ground.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=3>Connector Voltage Checks</TH></TR><TR><TH colSpan=3>(Check with Sensor Connector Disconnected and Ignition Key On)</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Test Points</TD><TD align=middle>Spec.</TD><TD align=middle>Comments</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>A to Grd.</TD><TD align=middle>0 - .25 volts</TD><TD>If greater than .25 volts, signal wire is shorted to VRef or battery.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>B to Grd.</TD><TD align=middle>5 volts ± .5</TD><TD>V Ref. check with key ON, if voltage is not in spec., see V Ref circuit</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>C to Grd.</TD><TD align=middle>0 - .25 volts</TD><TD>If greater than .25 volts, signal wire is shorted to V Ref or battery.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=3>Harness Resistance Checks</TH></TR><TR><TH colSpan=3>(Check with breakout box installed on engine harness only)</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Test Points</TD><TD align=middle>Spec.</TD><TD align=middle>Comments</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>#91 to A</TD><TD align=middle>< 5 ohms</TD><TD>Resistance from harness connector to 104 pin connector - Signal ground</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>#90 to B</TD><TD align=middle>< 5 ohms</TD><TD>Resistance from harness connector to 104 pin connector - V Ref</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>#87 to C</TD><TD align=middle>< 5 ohms</TD><TD>Resistance from harness connector to 104 pin connector - ICP signal</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3 align=middle>Test Points</TD><TH>Operational Voltage Checks</TH></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 align=middle>(+) #87 to (-) #91</TD><TH>(Check with breakout box installed in line with the PCM)</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Voltage</TD><TD align=middle>PSI</TD><TD align=middle>MPA</TD><TD align=middle>Comments</TD></TR><TR><TD>1.0 v</TD><TD align=middle>580</TD><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD>Minimum required at engine cranking speed 100 RPM</TD></TR><TR><TD>.88-1.19 v</TD><TD align=middle>540-790</TD><TD align=middle>3.7-5.5</TD><TD>Normal warm idle voltage signal</TD></TR><TR><TD>1.38-1.53 v</TD><TD align=middle>960-1088</TD><TD align=middle>6.6-7.5</TD><TD>Normal high idle voltage signal</TD></TR><TR><TD>3.22 v</TD><TD align=middle>2520</TD><TD align=middle>17.4</TD><TD>Snap accel or full load pressure signal</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=2>Circuit Faults:</TH><TH>Diagnostic Trouble Code Description</TH></TR><TR><TD align=right>1280</TD><TD align=middle>=</TD><TD>Signal voltage was less than .039 volts for more than .2 seconds.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>1281</TD><TD align=middle>=</TD><TD>Signal voltage was greater than 4.90 volts for more than .2 seconds.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>1212</TD><TD align=middle>=</TD><TD>Signal above 1.625 volts with engine off. (1160 psi, 8 MPa)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well a new ICP sensor is cheaper and easier than a PCM. I would start there.
Or if you have a volt ohm meter you can test everything with info posted above.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Where would be a good place to purchase a ICP sensor? I have checked on the local parts houses websites and can't seem to find one listed. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Have you checked with parts guy ed?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Your truck has the obd2 port.
Kill 2 birds with one stone.
I would go with a pcm upgrade just so you will not
have trouble pulling codes anymore.
Then move onto the repairs needed if any.

ICP at 725 tells me the pcm is in limp.
(reason unknown as of now)

Bill

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Have you checked with parts guy ed?
I'm not sure who that is. Is it someone on here or is there a website?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Originally Posted by MADVAN
Your truck has the obd2 port.
Kill 2 birds with one stone.
I would go with a pcm upgrade just so you will not
have trouble pulling codes anymore.
Then move onto the repairs needed if any.

ICP at 725 tells me the pcm is in limp.
(reason unknown as of now)

Bill

What kind of upgrade is available for this truck on the PCM? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
From the manual....

Note: This code may set after a high-pressure oil system repair (i.e., injector change). Drive vehicle to clear air from system after repair, and clear code.

Continuous DTC P1212 in federal vehicles, indicates that there was no ICP detected during crank (long crank time) or a bias ICP sensor signal was detected at key on.
On California vehicles, continuous DTC P1212 indicates that there was no ICP detected during crank (long crank time).
Possible causes:
high-pressure oil system repair
empty/low oil reservoir at crank
low engine oil level or incorrect viscosity
IPR circuit fault
damaged low-pressure oil pump
damaged IPR valve
damaged ICP sensor
damaged high-pressure oil pump
Check engine oil level.
Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test to verify ICP/IPR circuit faults are not present at this time.
DO you have another thread on this ?...

Could you link it?...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM
drivembig
Senior User
This was the original thread with the problem.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...d-no-idea.html

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by drivembig
This was the original thread with the problem.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...d-no-idea.html
Thanks , we'll try not to muck this one up...

Tell us more about the ICP wiring & the Mod..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure who that is. Is it someone on here or is there a website?

Thanks.
Here:
www.partsguyed.com

Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
F4TZ9F838A 95 7.3L ICP sensor list $179.58 check my site for sell price.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
What kind of upgrade is available for this truck on the PCM? Thanks in advance.
Back then your trucks weight allowed for it not to be obd2 compliant.
Your truck is obd2 just not compliant. Ford locked the access to the pcm
so only they can get the info needed. They used the non compliant
loop hole so you have to go to the dealer for repair.

A reflash of your pcm can fix the above issue.
Problem now is the pcm could be bad, so it would be a waste to try and reflash it.

Bill

Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
drivembig
Senior User
ah, ok. That explains why I couldn't read the code with a standard reader. It rained all day today, so I will go by the guide above and check voltages and resistance and see if I can narrow down whether it's the pcm or the icp sensor. Thanks for all your help on this issue.

I also ask him about the excessive fuel consumption and he suggested changing the injector O-rings. The truck does smoke a blue like smoke when I start it up and for awhile aftwards, which I have read that some smoke at start up is normal. I can't really see any smoke after the truck warms up unless I'm really in the throttle.

He said that there were updated O-rings from what was factory on this truck. If so, where is the best place to get the O-ring kit and what kind of money am I looking at to get the kit?

Again, I really appreciate all the help that everyone has given me since I've been on here. Thanks.

Quick Reply: CEL and no idea again