Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Bent front spring!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bent front spring!

Took the truck in today for an alignment... the mechanic said the front end looked real good except my right side front spring is bent er twisted and my front end was sagging about 1 1/2". I don't even want to know what the PO did to cause that bent one!

Anyhow he suggested if I wanted to save a few bucks to get a set out a wrecking yard and then put an add a leaf on it to bring the height back up.

I can see me owning this truck for at least five years. What you guys think... go the less expensive route and just get it fixed now.... or wait about 2 months and replace both front springs with new and do the complete bumper to bumper urethane bushing kit while I am at it?
<BR>

Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
id go option 2

Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
I am only really thinking of going cheaper route now cause I just dumped $800 on new tires and don't want them ruined before I have time to fix it right.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
oh jeez, man them tires is expensive. Be grateful ya aint got a dually. IN that case id go the cheaper route for now.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go route A and grab both sides from the junkyard as long as they're cheap! Both sides should be worn out equally, so that would save your tires, and you could hold off a little longer until May or June when its nicer out to do your bushings.
You might find a good deal on new springs between now and then for your bushing job coming up.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what a bummer.
ah well,don't sweat it.the bone yard springs could be in great shape.
there must be a way to check they're strength and compare them with new.you could be surprised.try getting them off a rig that looks like it never saw a plow.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Problem is not a lot of wrecking yards around here... might have to drive down to Reno to find a good set.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warrozz can you see a bend in it. The reason I ask is I have been down this road before. As far as the sag I would almost bet you bushings and maybe bolts and shackles are the culprit. I personally like oem springs better than aftermarket unless you are wanting a lift. I think Dave tried add a leafs and it raised it too much to line it up.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM
gonecrazyi
Senior User
I agree with starmilt,

Did this mechanic have the truck in the air while he was looking at the springs.

When I swapped my d50 for a d60 I put the d50 back in the other truck. I found that the spring twists and bends A LOT when its up in the air and the wheels are hanging.

I also agree with the bushings being worn. That d50 gained about 1.5 inches in height when the new bushings were installed.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by starmilt
Warrozz can you see a bend in it. The reason I ask is I have been down this road before. As far as the sag I would almost bet you bushings and maybe bolts and shackles are the culprit. I personally like oem springs better than aftermarket unless you are wanting a lift. I think Dave tried add a leafs and it raised it too much to line it up.
I will climb under there and try to see if I can see it. If not I may just go back to the shop and have him point it out to me.

I don't want it lifted, so I will go stock if I have to replace.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I am just sceptical when it comes to alignment shops and ford frontends. Back in the 70's with the twin I beams I started getting my lessons very few shops actually had the equipment and know how to bend the beams.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by starmilt
I am just sceptical when it comes to alignment shops and ford frontends. Back in the 70's with the twin I beams I started getting my lessons very few shops actually had the equipment and know how to bend the beams.
Yea I am the same way, been round and round with more then one alignment shop! Hopefully I find something one way or the other while I am under there.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If A hit B hard enough to bend the springs on an IFS axle, you should see plenty of indications in other places as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
LOL I reckon that is a good way to word it.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
i need to replace the spring shakle bolts, bushings and the metal clips that hold the leafs together, not sure if that is possible for just the clips/retainers.

there is way too much between the leaf and bushing if it is still there! gotta pen it in the weekend or when i take a few weeks off in a month.

Quick Reply: Bent front spring!