Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new cat AGAIN?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new cat AGAIN?!

i just got it not even 5 months back.. ill tell you one thing im not buying another cat until i have to smog the some of a bitch again > im gonna gut this one out and run it with a gutted out cat since magnaflow doesnt warranty their products..1 year warranty my *** tell me my truck is running too rich when i have an AIR FUEL METER that tells me its running the perfect mixture. ill tell you why it got red hot was cuz the platinum dislodged and turned sideways plugging the exhaust thats why it got hot! one year warrenty

Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
pete17c
Senior User
in a few years you won't have to smog it .. pretty sure they stop that at 25 years old .. maybe you can find a small, local shop and see if they won't 'divert' the smog equip to a different car while they test yours (I've seen it done) for an additional fee in the meantime ..

.. though I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal ..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Originally Posted by pete17c
in a few years you won't have to smog it .. pretty sure they stop that at 25 years old .. maybe you can find a small, local shop and see if they won't 'divert' the smog equip to a different car while they test yours (I've seen it done) for an additional fee in the meantime ..

.. though I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal ..
i was thinking about that too, i might just know someone who could get a guy to do it

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
pete17c
Senior User
where I live they don't do the 'sniffer' test, just visual .. but where I work (closer to NYC) it's required .. it's decided by the addy on your registration .. I have had my car inspected near work and have to tell them I don't need the 'sniff' test (it's cheaper too)..

not sure where you are, but all it would take in NY is for someone living in a 'snifer' zone to have a friend upstate to catch the few pieces of mail the DMV sends you (I can only think of the registration reminder every 2 years) and forward them ..

I'm sure it'll change soon, but hopefully my '87 will pass the 25 year mark by then ..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Originally Posted by pete17c
where I live they don't do the 'sniffer' test, just visual .. but where I work (closer to NYC) it's required .. it's decided by the addy on your registration .. I have had my car inspected near work and have to tell them I don't need the 'sniff' test (it's cheaper too)..

not sure where you are, but all it would take in NY is for someone living in a 'snifer' zone to have a friend upstate to catch the few pieces of mail the DMV sends you (I can only think of the registration reminder every 2 years) and forward them ..

I'm sure it'll change soon, but hopefully my '87 will pass the 25 year mark by then ..

i live in California. i have the harshest emissions standards

Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Just get a new cat and see if it happens again. If so something is wrong with the truck. My exhaust guy says that Magnaflow makes good mufflers, but their cats leave room for improvement. He likes Cherry Bomb cats. Try those or maybe Catco. You could only run the cat for emissions and the rest of the year leave it on the shelf.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
Just get a new cat and see if it happens again. If so something is wrong with the truck. My exhaust guy says that Magnaflow makes good mufflers, but their cats leave room for improvement. He likes Cherry Bomb cats. Try those or maybe Catco. You could only run the cat for emissions and the rest of the year leave it on the shelf.

i was gonna hollow this one out break all the insides out so it looks like i have one and when i need and smog time comes around then get a new cat and swap it back out afterwords..magnaflow doesnt wanna warreny my cat fine then ill run around with a dirty truck because thats what i have to do to make my way until i can come up with the $400 for a new cat again

Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I guess you could do it that way. If you do, make it so that the cat can be easily swapped back and forth using ball flange type connections.

http://image.carcraft.com/f/howto/92...all_flange.jpg