6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

UPDATE ON 27 GALLON FILL UP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 PM
BIG BLUE BEAST
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE ON 27 GALLON FILL UP

ok went to dealer, showed them all my receipts from september when i picked up the truck new. he looks at me kinda funny. you guy's know the look. takes the truck in and say's it should be ready in an hour or so. and do i need a ride home... no i'll wait. i'm trying real hard to get an explanation as to whats wrong. he looks at me and says why did i wait so long. i plead stupid and he goes on to tell me some of the filler necks are defective where they mount on the top of the tank. i watch through the service window as the tech replaces the filler hose. service writer gives me back the keys tells me theres only a gallon in the tank and go fill'er up. sure enough it takes 37.3 gallons. i go back tell em nice job. now what about the 20 or so gallons you drained out. again the funny look. wants to know if i can hang around and he'll change the oil-oil filter and fuel filter on the house. so i went for it.... hats off to herb chambers truck center... nice job

Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
well, mystery solved, bad filler hose..hard to beleive but we shall see when this one is empty.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wow, interesting...

Glad to hear you got it worked out!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
BIG BLUE BEAST
Freshman User
yeah i though i was in for a fight.. but they proved me wrong. very upstanding people

Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Big Blue Beast:

Am I missing something? How does a defective filler neck cause the tank to not accept 11 gallons of fuel? I will let more learned participants to chime in. Elsewhere I read where someone thought a sender. It just does not make sense to me.

Did they give you a completed Repair Order? Even on a warranty claim you should get some paperwork.

I do hope your problem is resolved. It just would be nice to confirm the fix.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
This is funny you posted this. I actually darn near ran out of fuel as i was missing while i coasted into the the gas station. Anyway, i filled up the truck and could just barely get 27 gallons in her so was wondering why this is. Senix have you noticed this with your truck. No big deal but most my vehicles when i run them out fill to around the tank size. Also, i was on flat ground and took my time to get it to the neck.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Big Blue Beast:

Am I missing something? How does a defective filler neck cause the tank to not accept 11 gallons of fuel? I will let more learned participants to chime in. Elsewhere I read where someone thought a sender. It just does not make sense to me.

Did they give you a completed Repair Order? Even on a warranty claim you should get some paperwork.

My thoughts exactly. Did anyone explain to you what was defective about the filler neck?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM
BIG BLUE BEAST
Freshman User
Big Blue Beast:

w/o just say's repair/ replace defect filler tube. why that fixed it i don't know. as i'm not that mechanical inclined.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
I would bet money that the fill tube dipped down into the tank too far, creating an oversize air bubble in the top of the tank that could not escape?? The vent tubes on these tanks tie right into the fill necks so if it goes down too far there would be no where for the trapped air to go. This would cause fuel to come back up the fill tube before filling the void in the tank. I saw a post on here about a year ago detailing how to cut the fill tube so that the tank filled to the top before the pump nozzle kicks out, I assume it was addressing the exact same problem. I changed out to the Titan tank and they made sure to cut the fill tube short and add an additional vent tube at the highest point in the tank. This way the tank is completely full the first time the nozzle kicks out. Sure saves a lot of time waiting for the bubbles to go down and ensures a full tank every time. Plus when you're getting free fuel at work you want to make sure and squeeze in every last drop, haha.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by sawtooth
This is funny you posted this. I actually darn near ran out of fuel as i was missing while i coasted into the the gas station. Anyway, i filled up the truck and could just barely get 27 gallons in her so was wondering why this is. Senix have you noticed this with your truck. No big deal but most my vehicles when i run them out fill to around the tank size. Also, i was on flat ground and took my time to get it to the neck.

I have run the lie-o-meter down to about 10 miles before empty but that is about it. I think I put somewhere around 24-25 gals in it. I may have to experiement.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Brandon D:

I too remember the articles more than a year ago. I think there is a procedure for HARPOONING the filler neck. That was to completely fill up a tank. I thought the OP said he was patient at filling. I know on my truck when the first click off of the auto on the pump, from that point I can normally get more than seven gallons in tank by being slow and patient.

If you go to truck stop that has the large nozzles on diesel pumps it is problematic. I normally just give up and end up after a couple automatic shut offs.

Glad the OP is happy and problem solved.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brandon D
I would bet money that the fill tube dipped down into the tank too far, creating an oversize air bubble in the top of the tank that could not escape?? The vent tubes on these tanks tie right into the fill necks so if it goes down too far there would be no where for the trapped air to go. This would cause fuel to come back up the fill tube before filling the void in the tank. I saw a post on here about a year ago detailing how to cut the fill tube so that the tank filled to the top before the pump nozzle kicks out, I assume it was addressing the exact same problem. I changed out to the Titan tank and they made sure to cut the fill tube short and add an additional vent tube at the highest point in the tank. This way the tank is completely full the first time the nozzle kicks out. Sure saves a lot of time waiting for the bubbles to go down and ensures a full tank every time. Plus when you're getting free fuel at work you want to make sure and squeeze in every last drop, haha.
Brandon D:

I too remember the articles more than a year ago. I think there is a procedure for HARPOONING the filler neck. That was to completely fill up a tank. I thought the OP said he was patient at filling. I know on my truck when the first click off of the auto on the pump, from that point I can normally get more than seven gallons in tank by being slow and patient.

If you go to truck stop that has the large nozzles on diesel pumps it is problematic. I normally just give up and end up after a couple automatic shut offs.

Glad the OP is happy and problem solved.
I mentioned this in his other thread. Harpooning is cutting both vent tubes inside the tank as short as you can, and that will allow you to fill the tank almost all of the way full. I did this on my 7.3, and I could fill up until I had to slowly the last half gallon or so. I have heard that these are the same tanks as previous years.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did they actually change any parts or just harpoon the tank for you?

Most I've stuffed into mine has been about 33 gallons.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Yesterday I showed less than 1/4 of a tank, and I put in 34 gallons. I cannot complain about the fuel tank issues. But $95.00 for a fill up wakes you right up.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 PM
BIG BLUE BEAST
Freshman User
Originally Posted by John7894
Did they actually change any parts or just harpoon the tank for you?

Most I've stuffed into mine has been about 33 gallons.
they replaced the filler tube-neck -hose what ever you want to call it.........was on empty today had to fill'er up 37.7 gallons. $116.72 OUCH.

Quick Reply: UPDATE ON 27 GALLON FILL UP