4R100 Harsh 1-2

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:14 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I haven't seen the springs break in the E40D or 4R100.

The 4R70W is the trans that the 1-2 accumulator springs will break.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did it

I just replaced my Line Pressure Modulator valve and Sleeve using Sonnax 96948-01K on my 2000 Excursion V10 2wd with the 4R100. However, it did not solve the hard 1-2 shift issue for me, though it did get a little better.

It was a simple job. Here is the quick and dirty:

BTW you will need a set of metric sockets/nut drivers 9-11mm, and needle nose pliers.

1. Drain trans fluid by loosening nut at bottom of pan. (10-20mins)

2. Remove 20 bolts from pan (10mm?)

3. Remove Filter by pulling direct downward

4. Pretend you knew a bunch of fluid would gush out when you removed the filter

5. The Accumulator Valve Body is the rectangular part closer to the front of the truck. Remove it by taking out all the bolts that hold it in (10-15 bolts, 2 nuts) I think the bolts are 9mm and the nuts are 10mm.

6. Spit out the fluid that dripped in your mouth because you tilted the valve body while you were removing it.

7. Turn the valve body face down and find the end with the two circles. One has a screw hole, the other has a slight raised nipple. Remove the retaining clip on the one that has the nipple (that is the sleeve).

8. I used needle nose pliers to gently pull the existing sleeve. I think I tilted the valve body from side to side after removing the clip to have enough surface to grip the sleeve with the needle nose pliers.

9. Two springs may fall out with it, if not, just tilt it and they should come out.

10. Make sure the pin on the new valve is seated in the hole at the end of the spring cap. (looks a bit like a donut) (mmm... donut)

11. Slide everything back in the order it came out and replace the retaining clip.

12. Reverse steps to reassemble. You can replace the filter with a new one while you are at it. Refill with trans fluid.

13. Enjoy a frosty beverage of your choice.

I know I left out a few details like making sure you are very careful, do not get any debris in the parts/sleeve/cylinder, and lube o-rings. Also, if you are like me, it will probably be a messy job. Expect to spill some fluid. Have a roll or two of paper towels handy and some rags. I think I did the whole thing in under 1.5 hours.

I reused my old fluid but then took it straight to get one of those automated complete flush and fill jobs to ensure I had fresh fluid and the fluid was circulated throughout the nooks and crannies.

The Sonnax part was $33~ from a local DACCO transmission parts supplier. (daccoinc.com I think)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Homer

Old 09-19-2012, 10:35 AM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
I just replaced my Line Pressure Modulator valve and Sleeve using Sonnax 96948-01K on my 2000 Excursion V10 2wd with the 4R100. However, it did not solve the hard 1-2 shift issue for me, though it did get a little better.
I have never known the Line Pressure Modulator valve to be the reason for a harsh shift in this transmission, it does say intermittent harsh shifts in the discription for the valve but I have never used it. The valve train located next to this valve is called the intermediate clutch accumalator valve this is where the harsh shift problem can be found in most cases.

I have seen that the small valve in the bottom can stick and cause the harsh shift, Transgo has a shift kit that addresses this problem.

TransGo | E4OD/4R100: SK E4OD

I like this kit even though you wont be able to use the parts for the drum and pump without a complete disassemble of the trans but it gives you a new steel valve that helps prevent it from sticking, so I think it worth it. Also I wouldn't worry about drilling the plate ether, just use the springs and valve for the accumulator body.

In a previous post in this thread I said that I had never seen the accumulator spring break in the transmission, that was true until last week when I found one broken. The 4R70W is more known for this, I say 1 out of 3 will be broken but the E40D and 4R100 usually wont be a broke spring rather a sticky valve. YMMV

Name:  Accum valve.jpg
Views: 4816
Size:  265.0 KB

Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
So Mr. 80,

I just want to confirm your suggestion since now I am familiar with the accumulator valve body. In my previous post I described how I removed one of the two valves in the valve body. Just a few questions...

Are you saying that the hard shift is more likely due to the valve next to it? (the one with the screw hole)

Second, I can replace the valve with the one in the kit, but can I use the original spring (if it is not broken)?

Or, should I use the spring that is for the accumulator valve? (that comes with the kit?)

I don't mind spending the extra ~$40 and another hour if it could solve my problem.

Thanks heaps!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

This is the valve train next to the line pressure modulator valve, yes it has a threaded end plug. You can reuse the spring if it is not broken, you can even reuse the valve (intermediate regulator valve) once you free it up in its bore if it is sticky.

I cant tell you this will fix your problem, it is just a area that does not need to be overlooked when chasing a harsh 1-2 shift. Any kind of problem with this valve train can cause a harsh 1-2 shift.

When I read your post I thought "man he was so close".

Name:  4R100 ACC.JPG
Views: 6022
Size:  24.5 KB

Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Thanks for info. I am going to order the kit and let you know how it goes.

-H J Simpson

Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Excursion 4R100 Harsh 1-2 Shift Fixed

Thanks heaps for the advice.

I pulled the intermediate clutch accumulator valve (the one with the screw hole) and the spring behind it came out in three pieces :-o . The large valve came out easily but I was not able to pull the small valve, but I could see it was moving freely.

Aside from the broken spring, the large valve seemed to be in good shape. I dipped it in some fluid and put it back in. I replaced the big spring with the one from the TransGo kit, reassembled everything and refilled with it fluid.

Works like a charm now!!

Such a relief! Thanks again. I also learned a bit about the transmission too.

-Homie

Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Riker
New User
Talking

Thanks jk080 for the info on the 1-2 accumulator!
My 99 F250 started the infamous harsh 1-2 shift. Took it to the Ford dealership, and two transmission shops. I got ridiculous answers like, "the trans would have to be dropped to check it out", that someone cleared the codes so the trans has to "relearn" and that pulling the accumulator off the valve body might damage the gasket which would be expensive to repair....
I thought that at least the dealership would have more familiarity with their transmissions and issues, especially on a vehicle that's 13 years old.
After reading your posts I purchased the transgo kit, pulled the accumulator and found the 1-2 spring was also in 3 pieces. Just like Homer Simpson I couldn't get the valve out, but it moved freely so I put in the new springs and now my truck shifts perfectly, and it only cost me $48 and a few hours.
Thank you guys for your help!