Sponsored by:

Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
I took a stab at the over ride switch today, getting bruised knuckles in that tiny space. I have a 2000 Ex and have shared 4 picture in my 'various' album. Can someone tell if I'd ID'd the right wire? Seems more blue than black. i guess i can just cut and see what happens...

Thx
As you can see from my post, I did this from the instrument panel. That does not look like a black with blue stripe. That looks like blue with black stripe. I assume both methods are working with the same wire, just in different places. I still think the instrment panel removal method is the way to go. You have plenty of room to work and install a switch. you can sit in the drivers seat and do the whole thing, rather than snaking around on your back bustin knuckles.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did my Dome light override mod this evening, thanks to the info in this thread.
Here is a crappy cell phone pic of my switch location. Next to the steering wheel.
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjItMjAxMTAxMTQtMTk0Ny5qcGc.jpg
Views: 7441
Size:  16.7 KB

Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 PM
gwh1bass
Senior User
Where did you access the wiring?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gwh1bass
Where did you access the wiring?
Depends on the yr truck you have. The 00 have access behing the fuse panel under the drivers side. The others yrs easier access was behind the passenger side kick panel, where the fuel shut off switch is.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Mine was behind the passenger side kick panel.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
airjeff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my '04 Explorer the headlight/dimmer switch assembly looked the same as my '05 Ex, but the dimmer had a detent when you turned it all the way down. When in that position the lights would stay off. Anyone checked into switching switches? I sold my Explorer too quickly after I picked up the Ex to try.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by airjeff
In my '04 Explorer the headlight/dimmer switch assembly looked the same as my '05 Ex, but the dimmer had a detent when you turned it all the way down. When in that position the lights would stay off. .
The switch from the expy is the same also. You would still need to run another wire tho to the switch to control the override. Stock wiring runs thru a control box first. It is faster/easier to just run a new switch. I have mine mounted in between the rear vent switches on the overhead and it looks nice and stock.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rickx
I removed the instrument panel and spliced a wire into the Black / Light blue wire. This wire is located on the connector furthest toward the passenger side. It is the only wire of this color anywhere on the instrument panel. I ran that wire through a toggle switch that I mounted in the dash just to the right of the headlight switch.

Now I control the interior and running board lights with the flip of a switch.............
I did the same... and LOVE this mod.
Thanks a bunch for the wire location, as it's much less footage of wire when using your location(s) of both where to splice and where I wanted my switch as well.

I used a temporary tiny toggle switch, as I want to get a cleaner one (rocker switch) from the local elect. place tomorrow or the next day. Otherwise, I'd have shared pictures too.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
I did the same... and LOVE this mod.
Thanks a bunch for the wire location, as it's much less footage of wire when using your location(s) of both where to splice and where I wanted my switch as well.

I used a temporary tiny toggle switch, as I want to get a cleaner one (rocker switch) from the local elect. place tomorrow or the next day. Otherwise, I'd have shared pictures too.

When u say instrument panel, do u mean instrument cluster?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by labman1014
When u say instrument panel, do u mean instrument cluster?
Yes sir... speedo, temp, rpm...etc gauge cluster. Remove it's 4 screws, pull it out a bit, and the furthest to the right (towards pass. side) plug... has the black/blue strip wire needed to perform the MOD.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Champ32442
New User
Ok. I have read through this. I have an 00 ex. Im guessing the wire I need to get to is behind the fuse box. What's the best way to get to it? Or the easiest!
Thanks.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ32442
Ok. I have read through this. I have an 00 ex. Im guessing the wire I need to get to is behind the fuse box. What's the best way to get to it? Or the easiest!
Thanks.

Champ, if you can find that elusive BK/LB wire on a 2000, let me know. I've plumb woreout my neck trying to find that sucker. Easy to find LB with a little BK, but not vice versa on mine.

Attached Images    
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Champ32442
New User
Champ, if you can find that elusive BK/LB wire on a 2000, let me know. I've plumb woreout my neck trying to find that sucker. Easy to find LB with a little BK, but not vice versa on mine.
Man idk. I looked for an hour. I'm just going off what everyone else has said that's it's behind the fuse. I have pulled the 4 bolts that hold the fuse box. It barely moves anyway. Easy to find my butt. Lol.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ32442
Man idk. I looked for an hour. I'm just going off what everyone else has said that's it's behind the fuse. I have pulled the 4 bolts that hold the fuse box. It barely moves anyway. Easy to find my butt. Lol.
Agree, the fusebox might move 1.5 inches. Then dig and dig into the bundles. Oops in the title is for nursing those cut and bruised knuckles.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Champ32442
New User
Agree, the fusebox might move 1.5 inches. Then dig and dig into the bundles. Oops in the title is for nuring those cut and bruised knuckles.
So true. I'm going to go try it again in a few days if no one else has any ideas. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS