6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

"interesting" injector story

Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"interesting" injector story

First let me start off by saying that I am NOT a huge fan or believer of "snake" oils, so take this for what its worth.

My buddies '04 6.0 has been having some BAD cold start issues, injector problems. I did head gaskets/studs on it for him a few months ago but could not get him to spring for a set of injectors at that time. Well after hearing him compain constantly but not wanting/able to spend the coin for a set of injectors, I had a last resort.

I got the truck to normal temps, and shut off, I poured in 1 qt of BG109. Started truck back up and ran on high idle for 15-20 minutes, shut truck off and drained oil for about 2 hours, changed filter, filled with fresh MC 15w40. Obiously only TIME would tell if this had any effect.

After almost 2 weeks he is ESTATIC as to how well the cold starts are now. He said it runs like a new truck when started cold!!

IMO I feel this is a "band-aid" but for $13 for a qt of BG109, it may be benneficial for someone at some point, maybe in a $$ bind and need to buy some time etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is BG109?? and where do you buy it

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Its a POTENT cleaning addative made by BG products. They do not sell to the general public (they consider it professional use only) but all you have to do is find a local shop that uses BG products (they have an entire line of chemicals, trans, cooling, induction flushes plus tons of additives) weather it be a dealer or independent shop. I have used BG products for years with good results everytime. Find a shop that uses BG and go the the parts dept and tell them you want BG109

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If that doesn't work have him put in the 5w40 rotella and get the inductive heat flash that should take care of it. I did mine.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
theonlypheonix
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you might just try a 5W40 syn oil (big diff between 15W40 dino and syn 5W40 when cold). I've been using 5W40 syn Rotella since 20K miles and don't have any cold start complaints (i.e. rough idle at cold start, smoke, etc.) except when it gets colder then -0 F (still don't have the inj heat flash either).

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by theonlypheonix
you might just try a 5W40 syn oil (big diff between 15W40 dino and syn 5W40 when cold).

I agree with this assessment. Although I'm a Mobil 1 fan myself, but I think synth definitely does help out alot when dealing with cold start.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
I agree with this assessment. Although I'm a Mobil 1 fan myself, but I think synth definitely does help out alot when dealing with cold start.

Oh no doubt. I run 5-40 synthetic in my truck. Helps with cold starts, BUT you still can have injector issues. I just picked my truck up yesterday after getting 3 injectors and the latest vxcf9 flash.

So while using 5-40 will help with cold starts and stiction, you can certainly still have issues.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 AM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure that synthetic goes a long way to preventing injector issues, but I haven't read or heard of synthetic curing injector issues (except in arctic climates).

I have been wondering about the BG additive for the 6.0 injectors as I have had good past experience with it in a gasser.

I used to have a Mazda minivan that had an engine series with notorious sticky hydaulic lifters. A mechanic friend sold me some BG(unknown#) oil additive and the sticky lifter knock went away almost instantly. But I needed to re-treat it about every 2 years as the knock would sometimes come back.

So after reading the information and opinions about Hot Shots Secret on this and other forums, I wondered if it was a similar formulation to the BG products. After all, both products are trying to do the same thing; break down the oil varnish on surfaces with tight tolerances.

So I guess the questions that I am posting for discussion are:

1. Because the BG product is oil based, and designed to be poured into the oil, I am sure it is safe for the bearings, rings, etc., but is it safe for the HPOP and injectors on a modern diesel engine?

2. How much difference in formulation can there be between the BG product and Hot Shots Secret.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 AM
strokin83
Senior User
My truck got to the point that it wouldn't start till the second try when I was using motocraft 15w 40. So I started using the 5w 40 and it would start up fine. I know it doesn't fix the problem but it makes the sticky spool valves work when the heavier oil doesn't. As far as hot shot secret I think you would be better off saving your $50 and paying for the more expensive oil change. I tried a full dose and noticed no difference. But some people claim to have had good luck with it so who knows.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by loubell
I am sure that synthetic goes a long way to preventing injector issues, but I haven't read or heard of synthetic curing injector issues (except in arctic climates).

I have been wondering about the BG additive for the 6.0 injectors as I have had good past experience with it in a gasser.

I used to have a Mazda minivan that had an engine series with notorious sticky hydaulic lifters. A mechanic friend sold me some BG(unknown#) oil additive and the sticky lifter knock went away almost instantly. But I needed to re-treat it about every 2 years as the knock would sometimes come back.

So after reading the information and opinions about Hot Shots Secret on this and other forums, I wondered if it was a similar formulation to the BG products. After all, both products are trying to do the same thing; break down the oil varnish on surfaces with tight tolerances.

So I guess the questions that I am posting for discussion are:

1. Because the BG product is oil based, and designed to be poured into the oil, I am sure it is safe for the bearings, rings, etc., but is it safe for the HPOP and injectors on a modern diesel engine?

2. How much difference in formulation can there be between the BG product and Hot Shots Secret.

Your prob. refering to BG MOA, which I have had good luck with.

This BG109 is not what I would consider oil based, its the consistincy of diesel fuel. Im not sure of the chemical properties, it may be considered oil based, but its very thin. DO NOT ADD THIS AND LEAVE IT. Only run it 10-20 minutes to let it circulate and then drain.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
Your prob. refering to BG MOA, which I have had good luck with.

This BG109 is not what I would consider oil based, its the consistincy of diesel fuel. Im not sure of the chemical properties, it may be considered oil based, but its very thin. DO NOT ADD THIS AND LEAVE IT. Only run it 10-20 minutes to let it circulate and then drain.
The problem I'd have with doing something like this is that, because our oil system retains 3-4 quarts when the oil is changed, you would have to change your oil multiple times to get all of the BG109 out of the oil system.

And at the pressures oil is subjected to in our oil system, I'd be worried about foaming if ANYTHING is added to the oil.

I'm not saying I'm against trying an oil additive, I'm just explaining why I'd be leery about it.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:47 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by w_huisman
The problem I'd have with doing something like this is that, because our oil system retains 3-4 quarts when the oil is changed, you would have to change your oil multiple times to get all of the BG109 out of the oil system.

And at the pressures oil is subjected to in our oil system, I'd be worried about foaming if ANYTHING is added to the oil.

I'm not saying I'm against trying an oil additive, I'm just explaining why I'd be leery about it.

Yes you do bring up a point that I too have thought about aswell. Might be, just for piece of mind, best off to change oil again after a 100 miles or so. Time will tell I suppose.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
mohle
More Turbo
BG has been almost a standard in the automotive repair industry. Some manufacturers actually list their treatments as part of their recommended services. I've always wondered what they have for diesel products. When I worked as a mechanic, the stuff really did work miracles on some engines. If you could get some that is safe for a diesel that you could run through the intake etc... that would be awesome. On gasoline powered vehicles one had to have a special adapter that hooked their cans to the intake, or for sludge poured it into the oil. Never - ever, exceed the recommended time on the oil type additive and on the injector stuff, never allow it to flow faster into the intake than recommended. Otherwise you will eat your seals or take out carbon in chunks - something that your turbo really doesn't like.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Isn't it BG that has the carbon cleaning machine for the 6.0. If so part of their cleaning procedure involves adding an additive to the oil to clean the injectors. Works the same way I think, added to the oil, run for 15 to 20 minutes or so then drained and oil changed.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 AM
gtdan01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BG Products, Inc.

Says it is diesel and rotary compatible. Whether or not it is HPOP and high pressure oil safe or not, who knows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "interesting" injector story