Notices

Winches? Best value, and way to mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winches? Best value, and way to mount

Hey, I was wondering about a winch. Might come in handy. I like superwinches, because they reel in quicker, and are built tough. How could I have a detachable setup for either the front or back? A reese hitch mount sounds like it would work. what all should I be looking to do. Just an idea, nothing I am doing soon

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I'm a Warn fan and have more experience with their line than any others. Warn has two "lines" The offical made in the USA Warn and the Magnum/Tabor made in mexico warn. You can save a little money with the made in mexico version, but the tolerances and parts aren't as high quality.

For mounts, there are baskets available and they usually top out at 9k winches. They can get spendy to run wire to both the front and rear in heavy gauge wire and a solenoid. The wire should probably be a minimum of 6ga with 2-1/0 being preferable. The solenoid is a great safety feature to keep the wire from being constantly energized, you can tell it when to power the wire/winch and the rest of the time it's off. In case you get in an accident or run something up under the frame, it will not short out or burn your truck down.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
everything you said makes sence. I would rather pull some loads with a winch, and take my time instead of beating the mechanical drivetrain of my truck. Make sence? Like pulling a friends vehicle out of mud or snow. Does that make sence?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
yeah, I think a removable winch with 50 foot of cable, and 3000 or 4000 flat load capacity would be perfectly fine for what I want. After all you can always double the winch with a pulley and double the amount you can pull! be a nice way to prevent unnecessary beating on my truck.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
yes, no?

does anyone else agree?