Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM
New User

snasby57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
serpentine belt size

Hi all
I have a 1996 ranger 4.0 efi 4x4 my air conditioning compressor is starting to lock up i want to bypass until i have the cash to repair it. my question is what size serpentine belt do i need to bypass the compressor so i can drive the truck.
all help appreciated
steve
Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Well if the A/C clutch part is ok, just disconnect it's electrical connector, so the clutch won't try to engage & turn the compressor.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM
New User

snasby57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
clutch assy

how do i find out if the clutch is ok? when the engine runs the clutch just tries to turn i see a lot of red powder must be rust around it. the belt whines and do i buy a belt for engine without ac will that fit.
steve
Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Elder User

Rangerman Stan is starting off with a positive reputation.
The air conditioner compressor clutch will engage off and on during an engine warm up cycle, so you could watch for this while it's warming up. Also, if its some what warm outside you could turn on the air conditioner and watch for the clutch to engage. The bearings in the large pulley on the compressor started to come apart on my 91 4.0 and made the engine vibrate and caused a screaching noise. I bypassed the compressor pulley with a belt for an engine without AC and it was all good after that. You should be able to do the same thing.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by snasby57 View Post
how do i find out if the clutch is ok? when the engine runs the clutch just tries to turn i see a lot of red powder must be rust around it. the belt whines and do i buy a belt for engine without ac will that fit.
steve
Well you said the A/C Compressor was starting to lock up, so with the A/C Off, if the clutch assy & the belt aren't making any noise, then the clutch pully bearing is ok, so just unplug the electrical connector to the clutch, so it won't try to run the A/C compressor.

If the clutch pully bearing is bad, it'll make the noise even if the A/C is off, so disconnecting the A/C clutch electrical connector won't do any good.

Maybe a belt for a 4.0L without A/C will work, but I really don't know, you'll just have to try one & see.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
tie a string around the pulley's that you want to operate, take the string off and measure it.

It's not what I would do but you could try it.

The best course of action is to fix the AC pulley. Don't create another problem by not fixing a problem, it's just not beneficial in the long run.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2009, 40, 40l, ac, air, belt, clutch, compressor, conditioning, ford, locks, pulley, ranger, serpentine, size, sizing, vibrate