1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

my wife saved the day!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
my wife saved the day!

I'm changing out my turbo to a D66 and of course I was struggling with the rear drivers side pedestal bolt. After several attempts to locate it I, to say the least, was getting very frustrated. I told myself that I've done this before and that I could do it again. I read on here once that you could reach around with your left arm behind the up pipes and locate the bolt. Then with your finger guide the socket down onto the bolt. BS, my arm is way to big to fit around behind the up pipes so I just had to go fishing. I finally hit the bolt and latched onto it. Holding the extension I reached for the ratchet and it wasn't there! I refused to let go of the extension so I reached for my cell and asked my wife to come outside to help. She found it in my tool box and away I went. I've got two of them and later I found the one I reached for on the ground. Sorry for the long story, now the rest of the story.

Jose replied to my last thread about turbo removing and instead of making the tool he suggested I got a claw foot (I think that's what its called) and got a good hold of the bottom drivers side collector nut and can't break it loose to save my ***. I've soaked it now for a couple of days with that PB blaster or whatever you call it. I'm ready to get the cutting torch out and the hell with the core deposit. Any suggestions??

Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I'm changing out my turbo to a D66 and of course I was struggling with the rear drivers side pedestal bolt. After several attempts to locate it I, to say the least, was getting very frustrated. I told myself that I've done this before and that I could do it again. I read on here once that you could reach around with your left arm behind the up pipes and locate the bolt. Then with your finger guide the socket down onto the bolt. BS, my arm is way to big to fit around behind the up pipes so I just had to go fishing. I finally hit the bolt and latched onto it. Holding the extension I reached for the ratchet and it wasn't there! I refused to let go of the extension so I reached for my cell and asked my wife to come outside to help. She found it in my tool box and away I went. I've got two of them and later I found the one I reached for on the ground. Sorry for the long story, now the rest of the story.

Jose replied to my last thread about turbo removing and instead of making the tool he suggested I got a claw foot (I think that's what its called) and got a good hold of the bottom drivers side collector nut and can't break it loose to save my ***. I've soaked it now for a couple of days with that PB blaster or whatever you call it. I'm ready to get the cutting torch out and the hell with the core deposit. Any suggestions??
Nice! I have 1 female friend that would help me if I need it. She a big gear head, young and wants to learn all she can. You wouldn't know it if you just meet thought. That the cool part. My other female friends would not step foot into my smelly dirty grarge! LOL. Kinda home to me and it doesn't smell! LOL. Sorry for the rant. It cool your wife came out and helped you. Glad your cell was close and not on the tail gate or bench.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

I seen the tool on your last thread and I think you may have to break down and make one I had too as well

I used a pipe wrench on the pipe worked good a little tight on the drivers side but it broke it loose I got this Idea from someone on this site a long time ago.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

dougbrown, takes cool that the young lady is interested. My wife's sister is like that, her husband restored a 41 Ford and I think she knows more about the car then he does. Yes, I had the cell in my pocket, luck had it the left pocket and my left hand was free to get it. Pretty funny looking back on it, it was like a matter of life and death that I didn't let go.

WALJOH, I'm impressed with that tool! I suppose with the angle of that collector flange the pipe would be clear of the hood. I'm going to keep this in mind if soaking doesn't do the trick along with the claw foot. Thanks a lot!!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 PM
wheelie31
Senior User
yo doug,whos this girl you speak of, Im interested, whats her Facebook link?!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

WALJOH, I'm impressed with that tool! I suppose with the angle of that collector flange the pipe would be clear of the hood. I'm going to keep this in mind if soaking doesn't do the trick along with the claw foot. Thanks a lot!!
I wouldn,t be too Impressed lol just a wrench cut and welded on a pipe took 10 min to make the pipe is about 2 foot long and there is lots of room between the hood .

good luck

Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 AM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wheelie31
yo doug,whos this girl you speak of, Im interested, whats her Facebook link?!
She is to young for you! LOL She is not even 18 yet. Beside it my best friends girl. best of all she loves diesels!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Crows foot is what you are thinking of. =)

There are lots of neat tools on this forum, we should have a thread for home made tools for the PSD.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:04 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
I second what William says, it would be very helpful.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:11 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You can get that damn pedistal bolt out with a 1/4" drive swivel and an adapter to a 3/8's drive and extension so you could put some muscle on it to get it out. Just don't break the 1/4" swivel and socket. 10mm socket I believe. It's also best to spray all those bolts down with some PB Blaster ahead of time so it can be working on the rust.

Congrats on having a wife that's not afraid to get dirty!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

crows foot didn't work, rounded off the nut. John, that's the setup I was using when I called the wife for the rachet that fell to the ground and I refused to let go because I found the back right pedestal bolt. My real problem was the nut on the collector flange, bottom right. Two home made tools were mentioned to me and before I was going to start making them I tried one more thing. I put a socket on the nut and then took a wobble extension, threw all caution to the wind and pounded the wobble extension into the socket with a big hammer. At that point I didn't care about my tools or the $300 core. IT WORKED!! Turbo is out and D66 is going to go back in after I 'try' to change out the up pipe gaskets. I got the brass ones from Beans but I have no idea of how to get the back nuts on those suckers. Does anybody know if it would be easier to remove the up pipes from the manifolds and then pull the pipes up to change out those gaskets. The bolts on the manifold connections look like they need changing anyway, eaten up. Any tips, tricks and suggestions???

Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
so Glenn, what did you do with your 1.0 housing?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Its in a box ready to ship back to Beans for my $300 deposit. I asked Beans if I could keep my 1" but was told the turbo had to be shipped back intact within 30 days. The 30 days is up on 3-14. I thought of you because you had asked me about it. Problem is, I'm in AZ and the stock housing is in NE. I will not be returning in time to make it happen to keep the 1". If I could get my hands on a stock housing we could make this happen, if you want it? Its not worth keeping for $300 though. So, I'll not mail the turbo back for awhile and I'll check around here for a stock housing. Let me know if you can brain storm a plan and I"ll make you a heck of a deal. I enjoyed using the 1" for faster spool up but like TJ said, its hard on the turbo bearing.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

crows foot didn't work, rounded off the nut. John, that's the setup I was using when I called the wife for the rachet that fell to the ground and I refused to let go because I found the back right pedestal bolt. My real problem was the nut on the collector flange, bottom right. Two home made tools were mentioned to me and before I was going to start making them I tried one more thing. I put a socket on the nut and then took a wobble extension, threw all caution to the wind and pounded the wobble extension into the socket with a big hammer. At that point I didn't care about my tools or the $300 core. IT WORKED!! Turbo is out and D66 is going to go back in after I 'try' to change out the up pipe gaskets. I got the brass ones from Beans but I have no idea of how to get the back nuts on those suckers. Does anybody know if it would be easier to remove the up pipes from the manifolds and then pull the pipes up to change out those gaskets. The bolts on the manifold connections look like they need changing anyway, eaten up. Any tips, tricks and suggestions???
Rite on glad you got it off good luck with the rest of it can,t wait to hear what you think of the new turbo.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Its in a box ready to ship back to Beans for my $300 deposit. I asked Beans if I could keep my 1" but was told the turbo had to be shipped back intact within 30 days. The 30 days is up on 3-14. I thought of you because you had asked me about it. Problem is, I'm in AZ and the stock housing is in NE. I will not be returning in time to make it happen to keep the 1". If I could get my hands on a stock housing we could make this happen, if you want it? Its not worth keeping for $300 though. So, I'll not mail the turbo back for awhile and I'll check around here for a stock housing. Let me know if you can brain storm a plan and I"ll make you a heck of a deal. I enjoyed using the 1" for faster spool up but like TJ said, its hard on the turbo bearing.
Don't worry about it. I was just curious. I've got other things I should be spending money on first anyways...

Quick Reply: my wife saved the day!