Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Junior User

johnkirk is starting off with a positive reputation.
1999 Expedition Turn Signal/Hazard problem

I have searched the forums here & can't quite find what I am looking for. The turn signals & Hazard flashers have stopped working in my 1999 Expedition. Fuses are all ok. I can't seem to locate the flasher relay. Does anyone know where it is? Does anyone have a picture of the location?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Junior User

Ok. I found the black box that houses the blower relay & the flasher relay. Is the blue relay the flasher relay?
Thannks.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Senior User

vze2sgxa is starting off with a positive reputation.
When this happend to my truck, I found it was a single burned out rear turn signal/stop bulb. Might want to check all of those first.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
It's under the center section of the instrument panel in the relay/flasher block.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Junior User

1999 expedition flasher

Ok. I found the box & replaced the blue relay & nothing changed.
I did determine the following:

The brake lights don't work.
The flashers don't work.
The turn signals don't work.
However, the turn signals & brake lights both work when the flasher button on the steering column is in the on position.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Junior User

1999 expedition turn signal blinker

Is it ok to drive with the hazard switch in the on position so that the brake lights & turn signals work?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
In the underdash fuse box...check or replace fuses #13 (20A) and fuse #23 (10A). More than likely fuse #23 is blown.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Junior User

Fuse 13 & 23 are both OK. I also checked all of my tail light bulbs & they are all ok. Other than replacing the turn signal swith on the steering column, I dont know what else to do.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Post Fiend

Since both fuses are okay, you either mistakenly did not replace the flasher unit or the turn signal switch is no good.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Junior User

I did replace the blue flasher. I verified that the part number on the blue unit was in fact the flasher.
If my turn signal switch is bad, why do the turn signals & brake lights work when the hazard button is in the on position, but they don't work when it is in the off position? And the hazards wont flash at all.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Posting Guru

fordtech08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the hazard buttun is part of the turn signal switch, when they go bad they do stupid stuff
77 F100
Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Posting Guru

Gevans17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
turn signal switch

multifunction switch/turn signal is prone to failure on early Expeditions
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Elder User

c_hohensee is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have changed my multi-function switch twice, it was doing different strange things both times. Good thing it is easy to change.

98 XLT 4X4 5.4 W/aftercooled Vortech S/C, custom tuned w/lightning maf and 42# injectors, Flexlite electric fan, Lightning Head and Marker lights and LED tails, Bilsteins, S/S headers and Magnaflow catback, Pioneer nav system and Airlift rear bags w/compressor
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hohensee View Post
I have changed my multi-function switch twice, it was doing different strange things both times. Good thing it is easy to change.
Do I need to remove the ignition key cylinder in order to remove the cowling that covers the steering wheel column? Thanks for everyone's help with this!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Posting Guru

Gevans17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Multifunction switch R and R

Yes, the lock cylinder has to come out. Insert key and turn to RUN position; then insert punch thru hole in the lower steering column shroud and push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.Twist the tilt wheel handle and shank and remove.Move gear selector to lowest position to access steering column opening cover.Release the four clips and remove the steering column opening cover.
Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds. Remove the lower steering column shroud. Remove the upper steering column shroud.

Remove the multi function switch. Remove the two screws. Disconnect the electrical connectors. Remove the multi function switch.Then try to remember how you took it all apart!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM