Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Freshman User

dangerranger10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 RANGER WON'T STAY RUNNING...

I'm sorry I cannot look up this post on previous entries (no time). Can someone help me with my Ranger starting but not staying running?

In the mornings (when it's cold), my truck will start and then immediately shut off. If I keep my foot on the accelerator, it will stay running. Soon as I take it off, it shuts down.

If I can get it into gear and start heading down the road, it runs fine and will eventually run perfect (even with my foot off the accelerator).

Any ideas, would be appreciative!! Mike
Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
IAC maybe.

Do you have a CEL lit????

Have you checked fuel pressure????

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Freshman User

dangerranger10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know what IAC stands for?. No check engine light. How do you check fuel pressure? Thanks Mike
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
IAC = Idle Air Control, you can read all about it in the "Tech Info" thread atop this forums thread listing page.
A search will turn up all kinds of threads on troubleshooting, cleaning, or replacing the IAC & doing a fuel pressure check.

If your going to begin turning wrenches on your ride, it would be a good idea to consider purchasing a repair manual, CD, or factory repair manual, or if you don't want to purchase something, drop by your local library for a manual, to familiarize yourself with what & where things are on your particular vehicle & how to properly & safely work on it.

We can offer up suggestions on particular things to do & specific things to look for on a trouble shoot, but we have to depend on reliable feedback input, to make good guesses.

Most autoparts stores have a fuel pressure gauge in their "Loan-A-Tool" program, for a refundable deposit.

Be sure to use safety glasses if you do the test.

Let us know how it goes.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 87, ford, fordranger, gear, ranger, running, start, starts, stay, wont