Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Excursion Tank, Anybody Put One In Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When using the excursion rear tank I would assume that youd have to use the excursion exhaust, or the 450/550 exhaust. I was just lookign at my 450 and it looked like it was bent around the tank differently then my 350 (450/550 have the rear tank also as another swap idea)
you can use this fuel selector POLLAK 6 Port Electric Fuel Tank Selector Valve : eBay Motors (item 270495872752 end time Mar-04-10 09:20:47 PST) and then use a different selector switch to run this valve as well as your sending unit. by that i mean use more then just a tripple pole switch, use one with 9 or 12 poles ont he back, use the 6 poles to run the selector valve like normal, but then run the center pole to the gauge and then the outer two comming from each sending unit.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:49 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
When using the excursion rear tank I would assume that youd have to use the excursion exhaust, or the 450/550 exhaust. I was just lookign at my 450 and it looked like it was bent around the tank differently then my 350 (450/550 have the rear tank also as another swap idea)
you can use this fuel selector POLLAK 6 Port Electric Fuel Tank Selector Valve : eBay Motors (item 270495872752 end time Mar-04-10 09:20:47 PST) and then use a different selector switch to run this valve as well as your sending unit. by that i mean use more then just a tripple pole switch, use one with 9 or 12 poles ont he back, use the 6 poles to run the selector valve like normal, but then run the center pole to the gauge and then the outer two comming from each sending unit.
You don't have to get so complicated with wiring the gauge sender. That valve has gauge inputs for both tanks and an output for the gauge. When it switches tanks the gauge will read from the tank you are running on so you only need one switch for the valve.

I put one of those valves in a 61 GMC so I could run a 40 gal tank in the bed along with the 17 gal behind the seat. Worked great.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
Cory, thanks a million for your input. I didn't even think about the exahust, and I'm running a 5". If you get time over the next week or two, could you snap a few pictures for me from underneath and behind please.
You got it brother, i'll get you a bunch here shortly while its still nice out today and post up here, and i'll put a tape measure in some of the pics to give you a better idea.
Originally Posted by big poppa
Subscribing on the pics, nice job Cory, although I got duals but I can still dream..
Thanks Mike, you dont exaxtly have to use one out of an excursion though, just measure the room that you have with the duals and go hunting for a tank, you might want to look into some 78-79 bronco tanks, I believe the 25 gal one is 21x31x12 and the 33 gal is 21x31x15.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggy.
You got it brother, i'll get you a bunch here shortly while its still nice out today and post up here, and i'll put a tape measure in some of the pics to give you a better idea.

Thanks Mike, you dont exaxtly have to use one out of an excursion though, just measure the room that you have with the duals and go hunting for a tank, you might want to look into some 78-79 bronco tanks, I believe the 25 gal one is 21x31x12 and the 33 gal is 21x31x15.
Thanks Cory, next time I'm down close to the salvage yard I'll pop in again and see what they got, been awhile so there should be newer stuff.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Thanks Cory, next time I'm down close to the salvage yard I'll pop in again and see what they got, been awhile so there should be newer stuff.
No problem Mike, you can measure to see what you've got to work with, and then look up some dimensions online. But your best for looking for something that will have a good fit is looking for vehicles that had a tank meant for mounting behind the axle. The reason I went with the excursion tank is because I got a heck of a good deal on, $100 for the tank and $50 for parts. If I had a side exit exhaust or duals I would most likely ended up going with the bronco tank.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have some clearance issues with my 5" exhaust.....

Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
You can make it work Jeff, let me edit one of the pictures and I'll show you.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggy.
No problem Mike, you can measure to see what you've got to work with, and then look up some dimensions online. But your best for looking for something that will have a good fit is looking for vehicles that had a tank meant for mounting behind the axle. The reason I went with the excursion tank is because I got a heck of a good deal on, $100 for the tank and $50 for parts. If I had a side exit exhaust or duals I would most likely ended up going with the bronco tank.
Thanks Cory, as soon as things get straightened out here, been really nuts, I'll have some purchasing power in a couple weeks, I'll let you know when I'm jumpin..

Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Thanks Cory, as soon as things get straightened out here, been really nuts, I'll have some purchasing power in a couple weeks, I'll let you know when I'm jumpin..
Sounds good Mike, I'll help ya if I can, dont know how, but I will if I can.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru

Jeff,where the black circle is, there is a tad more room right here than it exactly looks, but you could get a 5'' exhaust through there, it might be a good idea to trim off the bump stop for extra room, but it can be done, you most likely will have to modify that section of the exhaust, I think I may try tomorrow to put my 4'' back in tomorrow if I have time just to see what it will do. If I get that far I'll report back with a go or no go.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Hey Jeff, I was going to let you know that the day before yesterday I decided to try and put my 4'' exhaust back on, and it did fit, it was tight right between the shock and the tank, but it did fit. I think if you were to get the tank an inch or two further back than what I did, you could easily get 5'' through there.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its anything like my wifes excursion your going to have a tough time getting a 5" in there. 4" just hugs everything...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of scrounging around and finding a Bronco tank like you said. Heck any thing over 20 gallons would make me happy for those long hunting trips into the boondocks. Get tired of carrying 4-5gal. diesel cans along........

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
time for a dumb question can you put a Bronco tank some where other than than the tire mount? i use mine and would like to keep it, also would a tank off a 8ft bed fit a 6 3/4 bed?

Quick Reply: Excursion Tank, Anybody Put One In Yet?