Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Tennessee Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Postmaster

nflfreak43 has a good reputation on FTE.nflfreak43 has a good reputation on FTE.
Ingram moving?

has anyone heard any details on this.. im talking bout the Ingram Entertainment returns and distribution center in La Vergne. It's a HUGE employer in the La Vergne Smyrna area and i heard today they are moving. so if they are that means a ton of people out of work here. which is not good.

AOD, red clutch packs, 2" OD band, Rebuilt/upgraded valve body, Stall coming soon
Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Postmaster

macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.
Haven't heard a thing about it...doesn't sound good.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Posting Guru

torkum is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Chris if its the place I'm thinking of I knew several people that worked there. It was one of the places people were going to from the business I worked at for better pay.One side of the business printed books by the order, mostly out of date best sellers.
At one time the Ingram family owned alot of business in Nashville from making barges to publishing. My old neighbor was a pilot for the Ingram family just for where ever they wanted to go. Some weeks he didn't go anywhere but on holidays he would be gone for days. He told me it was a love hate kinda job.

www.TrueBlueTrucks.com
Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Postmaster

nflfreak43 has a good reputation on FTE.nflfreak43 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkum View Post
Chris if its the place I'm thinking of I knew several people that worked there. It was one of the places people were going to from the business I worked at for better pay.One side of the business printed books by the order, mostly out of date best sellers.
At one time the Ingram family owned alot of business in Nashville from making barges to publishing. My old neighbor was a pilot for the Ingram family just for where ever they wanted to go. Some weeks he didn't go anywhere but on holidays he would be gone for days. He told me it was a love hate kinda job.
yep and the other half was a returns center. well i work with a guy Jason who previously worked at ingram for 14 years. and he hated it after the father died. he said before his death they had extra water fountains gatorade fountains and christmas parties and christmas bonus'. but after his death he said all of that got taken away and now they use you up till they have no other reason for ya and can your azz. but its still jobs no matter what way ya look at it. so its not good if its true. i aint been able to find anything bout it.

AOD, red clutch packs, 2" OD band, Rebuilt/upgraded valve body, Stall coming soon
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Posting Guru

At the end of the day it does suck. We have the NAFTA treaty to thank for all this.

www.TrueBlueTrucks.com
Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
At the end of the day it does suck. We have the NAFTA treaty to thank for all this.
yep exactly.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:

The irony is we are actually better off with NAFTA(and other trade agreements like this) then we were before it. I mean there will always be "losers" no matter what and by "losers" I mean those that get the short end of the straw, not "losers" as in bums. However, we are better off now then compared to if we would have kept the status quo. I remember when NAFTA was a big deal and people used to have picket signs that said: "After NAFTA the SHAFTA". For them, that could have very well been true, I don't remember what happened to them, but as a whole we are far better off then before.

Now eventually no matter where a company is or where they produce their products, it will even out with what the costs to produce things here. Arbitrage doesn't last forever.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Posting Guru

tex I respect your knowledge and I only speak from local business owners that I know who lost alot of business because of NAFTA. Guess the truth hurts those who loose their jobs and never regain what they had.

www.TrueBlueTrucks.com
Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
tex I respect your knowledge and I only speak from local business owners that I know who lost alot of business because of NAFTA.
My grandfather lost one of his businesses around the time of NAFTA, I don't know if it was specifically caused by NAFTA or the timing was just right, but he did lose one of them around that time. I've known a few that have either been hurt or had to become workers for someone else or the very minority were just jobless(minority with regard to those that I personally knew). I don't mean to downplay the tragedy of those that it does affect negatively. Don't think that of me(probably hard to do).

My grandfather was never fond of NAFTA, nor anyone in Kingsville rather was fond of it. What they couldn't do, and it's not easy to do, is look beyond just what it did in their little pocket of the world(and trust me that was a very very small pocket), because it didn't affect everyone the same way.

The irony is that benefits had the potential to be applied to everyone, those that were hit the hardest with the negatives couldn't yoke the full potential of the benefits, so I think that's were we get the bad blood.

However, considering that 3/4s our economy is based on how much we consume(rather or not that's good or bad that's another thread all by itself), free trade is the better thing for us(or as close to free trade as we can have). Now our economy switching over to a consumption one started long before now, some would argue that started with the baby boomers. Long before NAFTA.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Posting Guru

tex I know you are correct but for me sometimes being correct doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. We are going through a transition of becoming a consumer driven society in America rather than being a manufacturing society.

www.TrueBlueTrucks.com
Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 PM