2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vac line check valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vac line check valves

Does anybody know about the check valve located closest to the solenoid on the firewall. It is right behind an elbow in the vac line connected to the solenoid. Just wondering if mine is bad; I took it out to blow on and air comes thru both ways??? In the other check valves (running along the vac line behind intake) when I blew in them air only came out one way. I just wonder if this check valve is bad if it would cause my passenger side iwe not to disengage when its freezing cold?
Thanks for any input
JW

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Replace it, air should not go through both ways, I believe if you check all the lines around the solenoid there are 2 check valves total (at least mine had 2) make sure both of them are good, but deffinately replace that one if you can blow through both ends, you might have found your problem there, maybe.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 AM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Yeah I'm gonna replace it. Couldn't find just the check valves at parts store so went to dealership and it only comes with the tube assembly that connects to the solenoid $27. Be here Friday, I hope it fixes it. I'm thinking, with that check valve not working properly, when its freezing cold in the mornings its not enough vac to disengage the cold grease on Iwe. Once it warms up the grease becomes easier to move thus disengaging completely with some vacuum but not complete vacuum due to check valve malfunction.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
you couldnt find any check valves at the parts store? Thats weird. i found ones at multiple stores here, they were 3 way check valves, so i just had to plug off the extra port. Huh, maybe the stores down where you are do see a need to carry them.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 AM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Yeah their all pretty much worthless. I walk in their with a part in my hand they go to mumbling around and immediately say dealer item sorry WTF?? You haven't even heard what it came off of you freaking idiot. I swear man they find those employees under a bridge somewhere. You should've seen the guy that was gonna cut my vac line in advance the other day. You would've thought I asked him to rebuild my forkin motor or something. I even had the hose off my truck so he could measure exactly and cut, but no he tells me um we only sell it by the foot, you mean you can't take this hose here and lay it beside new hose and cut? We only sell it by the foot.....OMG I'm dealing with a forking moron, I say never mind I'll go to Napa!! Sorry this truck thing got me on edge LOL.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Ya, i hear ya, i guess i just lucked out that my father-in-law owns the two local NAPAs here in western pa. But i know what you mean about where do they find these people. I miss the old school guys that used to run these parts stores, they knew everything about everything. And even if they couldnt find that exact part in the their "computer" They knew of another part that would work or was the same. These computer systems made the average joe smoe think he is a car guy, just cause he can look up a part on a screen. I dont know how many times ive had to run back to the parts store 5 mins before they close because they gave me the wrong part.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Update!!

Well I as I mentioned above I found a check valve (closest to solenoid on firewall) that was malfunctioning, after replacing this I have plenty of vacuum and no grinding this morning @ 25 deg woo hoo!!!!!!!!!

On a side note I got dealership to change out my fuel filter, cause I fought with the old one til I was blue in the face, so I said fork it they can do it. $32.50 later and man what I difference that thing made. It feels like a whole new truck. The one they took off had black gummy **** coming out of it I'm figuring that is why my truck has been hesitating when passing. Anyways thanks for the help guys hopefully I've fixed my 4x4 system for good this time. (oughta have every damn thing under there is new LOL!!!!!!!)

Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Glad to hear it. I felt the same way last year. I have a completely new front end I replaced all the IWE stuff then chased a vibe in the front and replaced all brake lines, calipers, pads, a ball joint, and all shocks to then find out it was the steering rack and that was replaced by my extended warranty, with new tie rods and sway bar end links.

Anyway I hope that's the end of your IWE woes and you can move on. And when you said you were going to give up and trade it in I was going to tell you to give it one more try and double check everything

Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Yeah I'm glad I did, I really like my truck it just gets a little frustrating every morning worrying if I'm gonna hear grinding this morning. Yeah I put shocks and calipers and pads on mine also thinking that might be the problem early on. Glad I found this forum!!!! Especially you XJ, you have really helped with 4x4 system. Hell the dealer I've been going to really don't have a clue about half the stuff you told me. They first tried to tell me there were no check valves in the vac lines and then bam I handed him the old one and said then what line did I pull this little jewel out of. LMAO it really is amazing how much they don't know about the trucks they are paid to work/experiment on.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
I'm glad to help. And I know how you feel going to the dealership. I took my truck to one dealership for the vibe and after research on here told them to check out the steering rack. They said it was making a poping noise but was fine. So I took it to another dealership and they took one look at it and said yup its the rack. They replaced it in a day and it has been fine since. It makes you wonder how many cars are out there everywhere that are messed up cause these supposed "certified" techs know nothing