Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 AM
jp1251
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minor stuff: Got my tach properly wired, fixed my speedometer cable, replaced lower radiator hose, and put on a custom steering wheel (which is squeaking when I turn to the right, so I'll have to get back in there and grease it I guess).

Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM
dmccorkle911
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mounted my electric fan today!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Went to the local salvage yard looking for the four nuts to hold the f250 hood emblem/reflector as they are supposed to not be available( let me know if you know of a source). I found the truck with them although I was able to only get one off. I was unprepared and killing time as I was to meet a person that had a 79 bronco that he was poarting a couple of miles down the road, that did not pan out as the panels were unusable. So Only one nut, but I find my holy grail in the mean time. I love the look of the large Stainless trim on the back window, but are impossible to find and not being reproduced. First truck in the yard ever I have seen. The truck had a fire and made the rubber seal hard and brittle. It was a royal pain getting it off as I had to cut into seal bit by bit to allow the lip to be freed. Got it and a set of metal blue hand door cups to replace my just broke blue plastic ones. So all in all a good score.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM
fitzmotor
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got done with final fitment of my fold up lumber rack, it folds away in the bed wall.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice use of diamond plate.

Originally Posted by dmccorkle911

Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:25 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
got my 78 tagged and insured again ad been driving it around it has 2 twisted off bolts in the heads so its got a bad exhaust leak sound when you pop the hood but once the hood is closed you can't hear it.....the oil pressure gauge works for about 5 seconds and then pegs out at nothing so i worked on the wire and it still didn't fix it so now i wonder if the oil sending unit is bad i have taken off the valve covers and its definitely getting oil there and the oil in warm/hot but not burnt.... and my gas gauge which has never worked as long as i had the truck mysteriously started working whether or not its accurate is a different story..... any ideas on the oil gauge other than the obvious need for a mechanical gauge?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
mckoloum
Senior User
Today I took the trim off, I knew I was opening a can of worm, but this is not too bad finally, a little welding and filler and voila!

And how she sit now, waiting for the 390 block from the machine shop, then new paint! I mean not until next year probably....

Old 08-23-2014, 12:40 AM
0ldman
Senior User
Originally Posted by dmccorkle911
Which fan is that?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A cut here, aaaaand......

Out with the old......

In with the new.

Must admit it did take me three tries, so I guess third time really was the charm for me today
I need to get the glass tinted now because its a lot like being in a green house with the sun beatin on your neck.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:51 AM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Added a floor shifter of a 2001 focus

Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 AM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Still gotta do some trimming but it works real good just had to modify the bracket where it goes to the tranny but work great...

Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
gas gauge has been actually consistently working much to my surprise and i think i figured out the oil pressure problem it must have been a faulty oil filter i switched it out and now my oil pressure stays correct and never drops off

Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM
gothicman02
Freshman User
I haven't done this today, but what I've done so far on my truck since February when I first got it. What was new/replaced when I got the truck for $1500(brake booster, alternator, gas tank, spark plugs, wires, and distributor, fuel pump and filter):

-Fixed a battery drain when I first got it. Was the voltage regulator. Replaced and it fixed the problem, but now the radio doesn't work. Probably the capacitor doesn't have good ground that attaches to it.

-Oil was black. Replaced with cheapo oil and ran MMO in it for about 100 miles. Drained, put a Wix XP filter on. Runs better with less noise. Still a low oil pressure issue, but a rebuild will be needed to fix. Not as bad with Castrol HM 10w-40. Pressure is good cold, but once warm it drops to L

-Had my father help me adjust carb. Still new to these. He grew up with his impala SS fastback with a ford rear end for his high powered small block V8 so he knows how to adjust them right. Was idling high when warm. Choke wasn't working properly. Needed adjustment. Also the fuel and idle screws needed adjustment. Learned alot.

-Parking brake didn't work. Adjusted and it worked temporarely. I then heard a pop while taking trash to the dump and setting the parking brake. I got home and checked the rear passenger tire. The retaining springs that hold the shoes on broke off. Messed up the shoes and drum (granted the drum needed to be replaced anyway). Replaced shoes and drum and bleed the brakes.

-lubed all moving parts with white lithium grease. Hood, doors, side windows, etc.

-Put in a new exhaust system. Hearthrob Dual Exhaust kit with Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers to the rear wheels

-Fixed a fuel leak at the filler neck for the rear gas tank. Was the rubber vapor and filler hoses. Had to drop the tank. Ended up killing two birds with one stone so I investigated another issue with my fuel gauge. Ended up being the sending unit. The float was completely corroded and rotted out. All that was left was the outline of it. Replaced the sending unit, and got new fuel line/PVC hoses put in along with the filler hoses.

-Added PVC Valves to the oil cap and valve cover along with grommets and hoses

-Have been noticing a slip when taking off. Checked trans fluid and was low (automatic). Went ahead and replaced the filter and fluid. Cleaned up the pan, and put in magnets. Was very very clean on the inside. Looks brand new. Checked and topped off and runs great now. No more slipping.

-Greased all lube points for the suspension. Need to hit the driveshaft and firewall next.

-(current) Working on tailgate. Has been completely rusted out and non-functional. Took the tailgate off, bought a used OEM from a junkyard and i'm fixing it up now. Took all the parts off, and soaked the rusted parts in vinegar. Works wonders. Right now i'm painting the parts. Currently stripping paint off the tailgate.

-(Future) Get a carb rebuild. The transmission shifts into reverse hard and drive. I bet this is a vacuum issue because of improper adjustment. Also fix transmission linkage to the carb. Someone took it off.

-(Future) Fix rust hole near the driver side drip edge. Start to rust badly. Needs to be cut out. Will need a donor truck probably, or bend my own metal. More than likely donor tho. The windshield pillar looks rotted out pretty bad. I need a welder. Expensive

-(Future) fix any remaining rust spots. Mainly on the doors, bed, and door jams.

-(Future) Fix speedo. Its waaaaay off. About 10-20 MPH faster than i'm going. I'll need to check the gears and the speedo gear. Also needs a new cable. Its shot.

-(Future) Paint. Main cause for the current rust spots. Lots of prep to be done. Need a shop more expensive stuff

-(Future) Chassis Saver the underbelly Thank god I don't live in a rust belt.

-(Future) Clean out cab interior. All original stuff there. Want to replace with original new, but we will see. Speakers need to be replaced as well. They are original. Completely shot. Also fix cluster lights and contacts. Everything is working now but it goes in and out. May fix this sooner.

-(Future) New tires. I'd like slightly bigger tires.

-(Future) Clean up any remaining missing parts/accessories.

-(Future) Engine Rebuild/swap. Currently a 351m

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Reassembly

Just putting the motor back together. Got a great jump on it this weekend. Just needs to get plumbed in.

Fresh intake and water pump with new carb and coil.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:33 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
460 car motor huh? Still have the front sump pan? Did you locate the truck exhaust manifolds or "make" the car one work on the passenger side frame rail?

Quick Reply: What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?