Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iacv and pvc on a '86 Ranger 4-cylinder 2.3L gas

Hi... I'm Bozo4ford,

Ranger 1986 / 2.3L / EFI / GAS / 2WD / 4 Cylinder/ 5-speed OD/ 154,000 miles

I have another post discussing my stalling problems on the forum entitled "Ranger & B-Series > All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models > (subject of Topic..."1986 Ranger 2.3 gas-putting & stalling after replacing spark plugs"

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ark-plugs.html

Basically, After running for about 35-45 seconds, the truck stalls out and if I'm driving down the street I have to keep gas on the pedal or else it stalls. First I thought it was everything with emissions,TFI Module, PVC, MAP sensor,idle Air control valve, timing, fuel problem.I could reppave everthing before I fix the main problem.

Besides all of those discussions, I thought it might be more suitable here. I have two questions.
First -
Where would I find the PVC Valve for this truck? Most peeps tell me it's by the throttle body, but looking at the new part I just bought with two ports and a cap at the other end to plug into something, but for the life of me, I can not find out where it is, or even if I should replace it.

Secondly -
I bought some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner that helps contact failure, cleans and protects sensitive electronic parts,and looks like it's good for fusible links.
Here is a picture of two relays that the wires going into from body wire harness that looks pretty corroded, and wondered if it would be safe for these, and other inside fusible links that clip in together -

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=27039

And here is another photo of where my iacv is located...I had many people tell me it's impossible to be over by the Air Filter Assembly, and it had to be by my throttle body....but here it is -

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=27038

Thanks for your eyes on this. Take care, Bozo

Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen the IAC on the air filter like that before. I'd concentrate on that first, remove it, clean it, check the seals and passages and check the hose that runs from it over to the throttle body, then check the passages in the throttle body as well. Clean the TB while you're in there with Throttle Body (not carb) cleaner.

As for finding the PCV valve, look on the drivers side under the back of the intake manifold. There should be a big black rubber hose going under the manifold, it would be on the end of that. It's hard to see but perhaps with a mirror you can spot it.

I don't see problem with using that contact cleaner, can't really hurt.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Should I try to replace the PVC before the smog test, right now it's finally idling enough by itself for a smog test.

Well,
I had mentioned that I was going to remove the Idle Air Control Valve, I did, and cleaned a lot of carbon build-up from both the ports and plunger with carb cleaner, and also thankfully, the gasket looked pretty good after 24 years...that's right, I didn't stutter, the blue bomber has celebrated it's 24th year of haulin' my sorry butt all over the place.

After re-installing the valve, and buying yet another distributor cap, It appears to be idling by itself, so the moment of truth is today when I take my Blue Bomber in for that dreaded California every-other-year smog test only, it would redeem myself for yet another two years of bliss, unless I win the lotto, junk this ride and get a new truck!

BIG QUESTION….Will she pass or fail?

My mercy lays solely with the ford smog gods.....BUT if it fails, then its back to the drawing board. I will post again today with the news. Stay tuned if you would like. Have great day!