1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 Fender Support Rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:03 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
53 Fender Support Rods

Does anyone have a stock fender hood support rod handy they can measure for length? I am talking about the two rods that run from the firewall to the front corner of the fenders. My aftermarket S/S rods appear to be a bit too long. What a shock that a repro part might need to be tweaked I am going to use the bullet nuts on the end (basically a deepwell acorn nut. That may be the reason they appear long. Also, do the rods normally pull, push, or adjusted to neutral tension? The shop manual is pretty thin in this department.

Thanks

Last edited by fatfenders; 01-19-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:32 PM
fordgo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53 Fender Support Rods

Fenders
I just measured mine and the length from the threaded end to the center of the firewall bolt hole is 38 and 3/4 long over all the total length is 39 inches hope this helps oh yeah the rods are off my 54 f-100

Last edited by fordgo; 01-19-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:52 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
53 Fender Support Rods

Fenders... my 54 measures 38 7/8. I have lifted the fender slightly by tightening in my attempts to make the hood alignment work out. The shop manual indicates that fine tuning these supports in conjunction with their counterparts on the hood, will bring a zen-like meeting of the sheet metal. The guys who wrote that had full, rich imaginations. best. himmelberg

Old 01-19-2003, 09:03 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53 Fender Support Rods

Thanks guys, mine are exactly one inch longer than yours. Hard to believe Ford would screw up both of your trucks up so bad

Oh the life of a rodder boy. My aftermarket luck has just been unreal lately. Just received my Rod Doors headliner kit a few days ago. "Hey, I ordered a smooth one, what's that funky design embossed in the roof? You know, the one that doesn't match my flamed door panels"

And do tell Himmelberg, what is a "zen like" meeting. I guess my vocabulary needs work.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:07 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53 Fender Support Rods

OK, I found the adjustment section in the book. New question. Which side of the firewall bracket do the rods mount too? Inside or out? I would have thought it would be obvious. No such luck. I have them on the outside at the moment. One side seems fine but the other misses the front fender bracket by quite a bit. Looks like some bracket tweaking will be necessary once I know which side of firewall bracket is correct. I can attempt to post a PIC if necessary.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2003, 02:25 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 53 Fender Support Rods

hey 'fenders and the other 53 to 56ers,

... I totally miss the rods as well as the bracket on the radiator support (... or whatever that thing is called which streches from fender to fender). The rods I can figure out and make my own, but I was wondering if one could post a pix plus some dimensions of these two brackets. I plan on making my own and guess some info on the original ones could help.

THANX !!!

Old 01-20-2003, 05:03 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
53 Fender Support Rods

'fenders... zen-like= the sound of one handed hood closing. The support goes in from the outside.
Kai... will send pics and dimensions as soon as I get posting pics in the new era figured out. best. himmelberg

Old 01-20-2003, 08:35 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53 Fender Support Rods

Originally posted by himmelberg
'fenders... zen-like= the sound of one handed hood closing.
The support goes in from the outside.
Kai... will send pics and dimensions as soon as I get posting pics in the new era figured out. best. himmelberg
Himmel

So zen-like = Eureka!= Woo-Hoo!= Ya Baby, I rule!

Why didn't they just say that in the book

I'll propably continue settling for, "No paint scratches this time, that's twice in a row nothing bad happened"

Thought the support went in from the outside, time to bend my truck, prepare yourself for the shrill shriek from a man who just cracked red paint

Kai
I will photograph too while I am back apart today.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
53 Fender Support Rods

Originally posted by fatfenders
So zen-like = Eureka!= Woo-Hoo!= Ya Baby, I rule!

Why didn't they just say that in the book
Well, not quite. More like "Ahhh, Weedhoppah. The knowledge of the well-fitting truck hood is yours."

Old 01-20-2003, 10:39 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53 Fender Support Rods

George

Ahh, the peaceful tranquility of inner hoodness. The feeling I will never know. Now I understand fully.

Kai

I got your fender support rod and bracket PICs and measurements taken. Start looking for some 3/8 rod x 40" or metric equivalent. Something better than grade 2 is recommended IMO. I must now return to the garage and ruin my paint with a bid crescent wrench.

I will wait for PIC posting guidance from "the wise man from the east" East of Iowa anyway, before I post the PICs.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
53 Fender Support Rods

Originally posted by fatfenders
I will wait for PIC posting guidance from "the wise man from the east" East of Iowa anyway, before I post the PICs.
'fenders, if you are referring to Kai, ignore this.

I just uploaded the pics I wanted to post to my Club FTE web site and copied the URLs from there. Read the "vB Code [help]" page and you'll see you need to surround the pic URL with "[img]" and "[/img]". That's about it.

I can't get into the old user gallery to upload images that I want to post. That's what I used to do to keep my Club FTE area from getting cluttered with post images. I suspect Ken is still getting things in order so I'll use my Club FTE area for now.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:10 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53 Fender Support Rods

George

I was talking to you, Kai is from the Far East. I am going to have to find a place to host photos off FTE for now. It is VERY inconvenient for me to grab photos from other FTE sites due to my AOL security don't like FTE issues. I have to switch browsers back and forth. Not handy! I am going to dump AOL someday but for now I'll host elsewhere. I was hoping I could upload PICs off my HDD. I'll figure it out when I get a minute. I know there are probably a lot of places I could host photos. Probably AOL for one.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:40 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
53 Fender Support Rods

Kai

Just experimenting with hood rod PIC upload. If the AOL websire trashes it, let me know. I can email it of course but am trying to learn how to use the new features.

http://hometown.aol.com/dewayneredin...age/photo.html

Last edited by fatfenders; 01-20-2003 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 53 Fender Support Rods

'fenders,

... I can see one pic, but there's more than one subtitle. Guess the other pics got "trashed" by AOL. You know what, I hate AOL. I had been one of their Beta users in the stone ages of internet and finally quitt about a year or so ago. AOL does not like other Internet related programs next to it and I had problems with my company computer. In fact my company said I can't have AOL on the Laptop they provided me.

I am now using a Free Mail provider called GMX here in Germany who gives everyone 10MB of free web space, too. I have a free web site, my daughter has one and I guess as long as I can dream up new names I can add one per day until we have tons of GIGABYTES. However, I got better things to do.

OK, back to the subject. That pic is a good lead. Guess when I compare dimensions between the various bolts I should be able to build my own bracket. Thanx.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:58 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
53 Fender Support Rods

This pic posting is easier if it works... mine come from my document files...
here's your bracket @ the firewall, Kai.... It measures 4" tall.
'fenders... nice shiny paint and ss... looks like you will be trimming some threads. I would do all my adjusting before I tried adding that cut little acorn. best. himmelberg

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 53 Fender Support Rods