Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior User

blowhole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replace Cigarette Lighter with Power Port?

Anyone ever replaced the stupid cigarette lighter under the cup-holders with a real-life power supply instead?? Is it just a matter of popping the lighter out and popping the power supply in?

Please advise.
sold --> [ 2005 Excursion - Eddie Bauer - 6.0L PS ] : DieselSite Coolant Filter : Zoodad w/ Z-Plate : 4" MBRP TB Exhaust w/ 5" tip & No Cat : Thule Rack on stock rails : ISSPro Boost & Trans Temp & EGT : Fumoto Valve : Silverstar Lamps
Old 02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Elder User

Paul T is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, it is the same thing. If you want to use the lighter in the power port it will work too. Any and all cigarette lighters throughout your vehicle are power ports.
1988 F150 4x4 Short Bed 300-6
Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
They are the ORIGINAL power ports. Way back when, the only access to power in a vehicle was through the cigar lighter. As more and more personal electronics came out that used cigar lighter plugs, the car manufacturers started adding dedicated "power points" to vehicles. (the rear ashtrays started to be deleted through the years as less and less people smoked, too) The Power points sometimes cannot use or operate a lighter, but are just for accepting the power plugs.

I remember that was one of the things that made the Cadillacs and Lincolns so cool back in the 70's and 80's. there was a ashtray and lighter in each door and sometimes also in the back of the front seat. If you had something that needed power, the points were everywhere. In my 1984 Town car that I bought new, there were a total of 4. most other cars only had one in the front.

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Senior User

So that cigarette lighter can also be used as a power outlet?? I was always afraid it might ignite the power adapter! (I know that is foolish, just a thing!!) I suppose I can just get rid of the actual lighter and then try different adapters to see which ones work. I know the power adapter for my iPhone does not work in the lighter. I will just have to test which ones do. Otherwise, I guess I could just replace it with a simple power supply.
sold --> [ 2005 Excursion - Eddie Bauer - 6.0L PS ] : DieselSite Coolant Filter : Zoodad w/ Z-Plate : 4" MBRP TB Exhaust w/ 5" tip & No Cat : Thule Rack on stock rails : ISSPro Boost & Trans Temp & EGT : Fumoto Valve : Silverstar Lamps
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Senior User

Rickx is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
So that cigarette lighter can also be used as a power outlet?? I was always afraid it might ignite the power adapter! (I know that is foolish, just a thing!!) I suppose I can just get rid of the actual lighter and then try different adapters to see which ones work. I know the power adapter for my iPhone does not work in the lighter. I will myjust have to test which ones do. Otherwise, I guess I could just replace it with a simple power supply.
My phone chargers work in either port in front and everywhere else in the EX.
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2012 BMW 535XI
2000 EX V10 Traded in on the 2003
Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
You can get all that stuff at the auto parts store.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Senior User

Heh, I will have to check out that auto parts store!!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior User

Hollywood703 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have to check the fuses on my cig lighter as it wont power up my adapter but my powerpoint will curiously enough.....
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior User

FallstonYJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is no difference between a "power point" and a cig lighter! Both are fuse protected, 12V power supplies.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
New Jersey Chapter LDR

sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowhole View Post
So that cigarette lighter can also be used as a power outlet?? I was always afraid it might ignite the power adapter! (I know that is foolish, just a thing!!) I suppose I can just get rid of the actual lighter and then try different adapters to see which ones work. I know the power adapter for my iPhone does not work in the lighter. I will just have to test which ones do. Otherwise, I guess I could just replace it with a simple power supply.
My iPhone works fine in all the power outlets front to back!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Junior User

USMC616 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree there is no difference between a cigarette lighter and a power port, but my GPS will only power up in the cig lighter and not the other power ports. I do use the power ports to charge my phones.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior User

FallstonYJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Typically when there is a problem getting power to a particular device it has to do with dirt/corrosion of some sort in the outlet or a problem with the device plug. Many times you can achieve positive contact by rotating the plug in the outlet and/or pulling it out just the slightest bit at the same time.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Freshman User

DBubba is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallstonYJ View Post
Typically when there is a problem getting power to a particular device it has to do with dirt/corrosion of some sort in the outlet or a problem with the device plug. Many times you can achieve positive contact by rotating the plug in the outlet and/or pulling it out just the slightest bit at the same time.
I have that exact problem. The prior owner years ago apparently used it for smoking and the humidity and debris from the use caused the receptacle to corrode/rust and now it is intermittent when I use it. Turn and wiggle to get good connections which has led to a blown fuse twice. I tried to run down a replacement at OReilleys (not big enough, no trim ring and 2 wire vs 3). I tried at the dealer and they had the receptable without ring. Stumped at the moment...may have to salvage yard the part

D
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Posting Guru

Apocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud of
llittle_llama
Just grab one from the junk yard
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
I would get one of these and cut the cigarette plug and hard wire it to an ignition switched 12V+. This way you'll have 3 cigarette lighter ports and 2 USB power ports for your phones and tablets.

Bell Automotive Products 5 Outlet Power Station/Dash Mount | Product Details | Pep Boys
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
150, 2003, 2005, cigarette, excursion, f150, ford, fuse, lighter, lighters, port, power, replace, replacing, truck