Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air conversion questions AGAIN....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mass Air conversion questions AGAIN....

does anyone know where i can find a full write up on converting a '92 F150 over to mass air flow?? see i'm dumb when it comes to that many wires so some really really good instructions would help. haha. i started this project truck early last year and need it to run like 2 weeks ago. i'm dropping a '92 302 into my '94 F150 5 speed 4x4. i have the harness from the '92 F150 that the engine was in, but need MAF. i have been looking for a factory harness that had MAF and a 5 speed, but 5 months of looking with nothing to show for it so far. If i will be able to do the conversion myself great, but at this point i'd almost rather buy. LoL. i found this and wasn't sure if it would work or not. what do y'all think??? Summit Racing SUM-890120 - Summit Racing® EFI Wiring Harnesses for Ford - Overview - SummitRacing.com and i also found this one. Ford Racing M-12071-A50 - Ford Racing Multiport EFI Wiring Harness Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I used when I did mine:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...sion/index.php
Ford Fuel Injection Wiring Harnesses
Ford Fuel Injection
Ford Fuel Injection Injector Firing Order
Ford Fuel Injection How To Solder Like a Pro
custom air intake and MAF conversion for a 1988 Ford F150
http://brembs.net/cars/maf_conversio...ang_wiring.jpg
Ford Fuel Injection Part Numbers

You will also need the '89 mustang EECIV CEL codes. There is a link to it on one of the FFI pages above. I have more info if you need it. This should get you started.

I have two additional suggestions.
1) Before you start the project, get a cheap A/F gauge from summit racing ($29 or $39) and run it for a couple of weeks before your conversion. That will give you an idea of the A/F that you may need to adjust to.
2) Come up with a scheme for water proofing/protecting the computer/harness connector for after you're done.

Good luck,
Lance

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lmd91343
Here is what I used when I did mine:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...sion/index.php
Ford Fuel Injection Wiring Harnesses
Ford Fuel Injection
Ford Fuel Injection Injector Firing Order
Ford Fuel Injection How To Solder Like a Pro
custom air intake and MAF conversion for a 1988 Ford F150
http://brembs.net/cars/maf_conversio...ang_wiring.jpg
Ford Fuel Injection Part Numbers

You will also need the '89 mustang EECIV CEL codes. There is a link to it on one of the FFI pages above. I have more info if you need it. This should get you started.

I have two additional suggestions.
1) Before you start the project, get a cheap A/F gauge from summit racing ($29 or $39) and run it for a couple of weeks before your conversion. That will give you an idea of the A/F that you may need to adjust to.
2) Come up with a scheme for water proofing/protecting the computer/harness connector for after you're done.

Good luck,
Lance

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
i looked all over Ford fuel injection, but didn't come up with anything. tried emailing them about 2 months ago with no reply and again about a month ago with no reply and even called them a few times with no answer. i was going to ask them if their wiring harness would work for what i'm doing.

on the A/F guage, the engine was pulled from a rolled truck and is now built and sitting in my shop waiting to get finished up with a distributor, intake, injectors, and wires. so no A/F was looked at, but i will get one to look at everything once it get a harness for it and fire it. i will go look through your links now and pray to god it helps. if you can't tell i am NEW to gassers completely and then you throw in converting firing order and MAF and i'm like WHAT?!?!??!!?!? diesels are wayyy too easy...

Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
All the FFI links worked when I checked them. One of the brembs links did not work, but you can get all the info from the other. The Ford muscle changed to: Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion. F150, Bronco, Mustang.

Changing to MAF is simple with a 5 speed.
1) put in a new computer (from an 8 cyl mustang)
2) put in a MAF sensor
3) change or add about a dozen wires or use new harness with 2 changes
4) add a second O2 sensor to the exhaust

Part of your confusion might be that there are two cylinder firing orders for the 302. They are the early(truck) and the late(HO). The difference is as a result of different camshaft layouts. In the EFI world, truck engines fire 15426378 and inject fuel to four cyls on every other crank rotation. EFI HO engines fire and inject in 13726548 order. The only (practical) computers for our truck conversions are in HO order. Therefore we need to not only hook up the new harness, but change the injecting order from the computer HO to truck firing order. There are truck harnesses from Dunne-rite that do not require the changing of the injection order. They have done it already! You need to call they are not on his web site.

Those harnesses from your first email should work with that minor mod.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lmd91343
All the FFI links worked when I checked them. One of the brembs links did not work, but you can get all the info from the other. The Ford muscle changed to: Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion. F150, Bronco, Mustang.

Changing to MAF is simple with a 5 speed.
1) put in a new computer (from an 8 cyl mustang)
2) put in a MAF sensor
3) change or add about a dozen wires or use new harness with 2 changes
4) add a second O2 sensor to the exhaust

Part of your confusion might be that there are two cylinder firing orders for the 302. They are the early(truck) and the late(HO). The difference is as a result of different camshaft layouts. In the EFI world, truck engines fire 15426378 and inject fuel to four cyls on every other crank rotation. EFI HO engines fire and inject in 13726548 order. The only (practical) computers for our truck conversions are in HO order. Therefore we need to not only hook up the new harness, but change the injecting order from the computer HO to truck firing order. There are truck harnesses from Dunne-rite that do not require the changing of the injection order. They have done it already! You need to call they are not on his web site.

Those harnesses from your first email should work with that minor mod.
my difficulty is all those wires going to the PCM and where to put them all. LoL. i had read that you have to swap around a bunch of wires, but i don't know where pin # whatever is on the connector. so yeah switching the firing order is the hardest part then you have the part about hooking up the MAF and where those wires go. just get confuse with large amounts of wires, but i can wire up stereo systems all day along with fuel pumps, switches, etc on my diesel, but rewiring the PCM connector is like making me dizzy. hahaha. thanks for all the help up to now brother. i'm going to try to take the factory harness from the donor truck i have and rewire it like your saying. do i just move the pins of the injector wires or what???

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
here are some pics of the project if your interested. made some progress, but the wiring harness and the typhoon intake are holding me back pretty good so far. here is some pics of the truck and engine that came out and the engine going in it. it had a 4.9 in it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
Everything you need to know about the wiring harness is right here on these pages.
Ford Fuel Injection
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=6

Just copy the column for the SD truck pinout and the Mustang into a seperate Excel sheet and highlight the differences between them. You will then see that there are really only about a dozzen wires that are different, there are 6 extra injector wires, 4 for the MAF meter, and several others have to move to different pins, everything else you can ignore.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Paul is right. It is very easy!

If you don't want to do the pin changes that we've mentioned, buy one of the two harnesses you linked and change the injection order of four cyls.

If you don't want to do any wiring, call up dunne-rite and buy a truck harness they make or one of the truck overlay harnesses they have when they bought out Ford Racing's supply.

If you want very detailed, step by step instructions, without using any spreadsheet or extra work on your part, buy the subscription to the ford muscle site. They have step by step instructions where the only preparation required is to have all the parts. Their subscription is only a few bucks. However, they point you to some prepared harnesses.

To save money, it really is very simple. You can save yourself several hundred dollars by repinning the dozen wires and adding the six new injector connections, four MAF connections, and one O2 connection. Just buy a few pins from FFI and six small spools of different colored wire. That would total $25.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i think i'm going to attempt to repin the harness. so if i'm seeing this right i will be changing this engine to the HO firing order for the B303 cam that is in it and for the stang computer?? apparently there is only 2 cylinders different in the firing order or something. so i just need to get wire to wire in another O2 sensor and the MAF then reuse the injector wires and pins correct??

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
If the engine is in the HO firing order, you still need pin SIX of the cylinders. The truck harness only two banks four of injectors on pin 58(cyl 1,4,5,8) and pin 59 (cyl 2367).

58 stays as cyl 1
57 stays as cyl 2
pin 12 becomes cyl 3
pin 13 becomes cyl 4
pin 14 becomes cyl 5
pin 15 becomes cyl 6
pin 42 becomes cyl 7
pin 52 becomes cyl 8
*ALL FOR THE HO ORDER*
*I don't know if you B303 cam is HO or older order.*

You still have the MAF and second 02 to pin
THere are several other re-pinnings that I don't remember.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Ok here are a couple items that will help simplify things.. I hope. The first is a chart showing the changes necessary in the wiring harnesses when going from an SD truck to Mustang computer. The items highlighted in Color represent pins that have to be moved at the EEC connector, and those in Grey are wires with pins attached that will have to be added to the harness. You'll notice I marked all 8 injectors wires as new and that's because "bank 1" ties injectors 1,4,5,8 together and "Bank 2" ties injectors 2,3,6,7 together, so you will be modifying the existing wires for injectors 1 & 2 anyway.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/...d936b8da_o.jpg

The second thing is a color wiring diagram for the Mustang EEC. On this you can see exactly what wires go to each device, and you'll notice that the MAF sensor needs power and ground as well as the MAF_Sig and MAF_Gnd wires indicated in the above chart. Same goes for the HEGO sensors, you have to add power and ground for the heater as well as the signal wire.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/...35cfb419_o.gif

Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM
lmd91343
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
The second thing is a color wiring diagram for the Mustang EEC. On this you can see exactly what wires go to each device, and you'll notice that the MAF sensor needs power and ground as well as the MAF_Sig and MAF_Gnd wires indicated in the above chart. Same goes for the HEGO sensors, you have to add power and ground for the heater as well as the signal wire.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/...35cfb419_o.gif
Is there a heater connection on the 302? My Ford service manual shows the heater for 351 and 460 only. Obviously the heater wire is in the O2 sensor, but the connection does not go all the way thru the harness.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Paul, the first link helps A LOT to see what i need to swap out and change around. I did see quite a few things that i don't even know what it is like TAD solenoid, TAB solenoid, etc. thats ok though b/c if i don't have to do anything weird with those connectors other than swap the pins then i'm ok with that. hard thing about this for me is that i don't even know where most of the stuff is on these trucks. LOL. i will make a thread at some point asking where things are such as the TPS, TFI, etc. and how to successfully run with out the EGR system completely. haha. thanks for all the help guys. i will take the harness out of the donor truck this weekend and see if i can switch the pins around(that is if i can figure out which pins are which. haha.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The EEC connector is numbered.. they're small but they are on there. And yes all EFI motors after about 1988 or '89 have heated O2 sensors.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My 87 has a heated O2 sensor. I'm not sure that I've seen a Ford EFI engine without a heated sensor.

Quick Reply: Mass Air conversion questions AGAIN....