Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm thinking if it all started for the oregon loggers it will be a low end cam and that would be sweet, I'm not worried about anything over 2500 rpm's.
If it breaks because of my advice
you can keep both halves
Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Post Fiend

David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
Some one else on OBN was working on a high(er) RPM horsepower cam that was specifically intended for turbo applications but I haven't heard much from him lately.

I tip my hat to anyone that tries to pioneer some advances with these engines. As we've seen its no easy feat to pull off on your own.

2500 RPM is beyond what I need even with overdrive locked out, so I would definately still opt for the torque cam option if it ever comes up again.

1986 F150 Ex cab Lariat rollercam 5.0L on LPG AOD trans 3.55 gears 390 000Ks
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Elder User

typefour is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyr View Post
russ...in all of the above quotes it sounds like the original design was for NA, but you installed it on a turbo with no ill effect...is this correct?

the other question is how noticable of a change was it?
(obviously thats subjective, but seing as I am looking at tearing down the motor and freshening it up before I boost it, $200 seems like a reasonable amount if the butt-dyno is happy while waiting to get boosted)
works great with the turbo, helps low end spooling, I have been a diesel mechanic for 30 years and my butt dyno likes it, I built my truck from a shell so I have no before and after, sorry.
OTOH I will never build another IDI without one.

And this info can be taken at face value, my buddy has the same truck as i do, his is all stock, we have the same turbo setup, I make 10lbs of boost at 2k under load and can pull a heavier camper up a hill one gear higher than his truck and camper, his makes 10 lbs at about 2500 . When I bought my cam they told me it helped low end al ot since the loggers were always idling around, I will see if the original shop that helped them has any dyno info.
91 f 350 cc 4x4, 3:55 gears. zf 5, 7.3 ATS 093 with bigger comp wheel, intercooled with cutdown 7,3 ps IC all gauges ignored with good aftermarket ones. Head studs, balanced . 12 psi 1k pyro under load way better mileage than the 460.

218/461 on the dyno. after 80k miles, wanted to make sure she was broke in.
sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
Type 4 how many miles have you got on your cam.
If it breaks because of my advice
you can keep both halves
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior User

caleb6.9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Typefour, if you increase the overlap with the cam, couldn't that help to bleed off some of our high compression without having to shave the pistons? That would be great.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmilt View Post
Type 4 how many miles have you got on your cam.
30k trouble free miles
91 f 350 cc 4x4, 3:55 gears. zf 5, 7.3 ATS 093 with bigger comp wheel, intercooled with cutdown 7,3 ps IC all gauges ignored with good aftermarket ones. Head studs, balanced . 12 psi 1k pyro under load way better mileage than the 460.

sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6.9 View Post
Typefour, if you increase the overlap with the cam, couldn't that help to bleed off some of our high compression without having to shave the pistons? That would be great.
Yes but it would kill the torque.

Ok just got off the phone with the cam shop. They dont have any hard data onthe IDI.But they have a customer that does the GM diesel with the same grind they have a 12% increase in torque and HP. And the boost and torque numbers come is 200rpm sooner.
this is on an engine dyno not a chassis so the gain will be less% on a rolling road.

He says if someone wants to do a before and after dyno test ,he will drop the price on one cam 40.00 to get some numbers.
This needs to be someone with a timing meter so it can be set the same before and after for the best accuracy.
Any takers.??

sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior User

timothyr is starting off with a positive reputation.
found a local shop that will give me 3 pulls for $25....I am in the process of taking care of several little things (injectors, pump, timing, and general maintenance), and then would like to basline it...there has been a noticable drop in pull over the last 5k miles.

once I get the baseline I want to start the build...I was seriously considering doing a dt360 swap (already bought the motor cuz the price was to good to pass on), but would really love to keep the 6.9 (what can I say, I am a loyalist). The goal is to do a full studded rebuild, use the cam and the 7.3 valves, custom compund turbo w/ic, and back it all with an es066-7 and GV (which are sitting here already)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Senior User

axe_handle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by typefour View Post
Yes but it would kill the torque.

Ok just got off the phone with the cam shop. They dont have any hard data onthe IDI.But they have a customer that does the GM diesel with the same grind they have a 12% increase in torque and HP. And the boost and torque numbers come is 200rpm sooner.
this is on an engine dyno not a chassis so the gain will be less% on a rolling road.

He says if someone wants to do a before and after dyno test ,he will drop the price on one cam 40.00 to get some numbers.
This needs to be someone with a timing meter so it can be set the same before and after for the best accuracy.
Any takers.??
I'm game. I have the timing equipment, and Dynomite Diesel is just down the road for the before/after chasis dyno pulls.

My set up is far from stock, but would be a good example of what the cam could do for a factory IDI Turbo with all the typical mods.
1994 F-250 SuperCab 4x4 3.55 gears, E4OD, IDI Turbo, ATS turbo outlet and 3" downpipe, 4” exhaust, K&N air filter, 285x75x16 Dueler AT REVO 2, Rough Country Add-a-leaf level kit and drop torsion mount. Hypermax cowl intake.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Elder User

I have a supplier that has high quality stainless valves for 10.00 each, they do performance PS valves and just got into the IDI market.

sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_handle View Post
I'm game. I have the timing equipment, and Dynomite Diesel is just down the road for the before/after chasis dyno pulls.

My set up is far from stock, but would be a good example of what the cam could do for a factory IDI Turbo with all the typical mods.
Just let me know, I may eat some profit to make this happen more than once, I only make 10% over cost so it wont be much but every little bit helps.
And you may want to unhook the smoke eliminator.

sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior User

axe_handle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by typefour View Post
Just let me know, I may eat some profit to make this happen more than once, I only make 10% over cost so it wont be much but every little bit helps.
And you may want to unhook the smoke eliminator.
LOL, yeah the smoke eliminator is set to control the low RPM EGT, not so much to pass emissions.

To maximize a different cam grind I would expect that the pump fuel curve would need to be adjusted, and tuning the smoke eliminator would be part of that.
1994 F-250 SuperCab 4x4 3.55 gears, E4OD, IDI Turbo, ATS turbo outlet and 3" downpipe, 4” exhaust, K&N air filter, 285x75x16 Dueler AT REVO 2, Rough Country Add-a-leaf level kit and drop torsion mount. Hypermax cowl intake.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior User

Has anybody noted a fuel mileage increase with one of these?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6.9 View Post
Has anybody noted a fuel mileage increase with one of these?
it should increase fuel mileage.when you have a custom grind that places your powerband down lower,this is a good thing in general for MPG.
its probably not much since its claimed to be just a couple hundred rpm lower.but yeah,it is in the right direction for fuel economy as well.
(i don't run one of these yet.tho i know the general aspect of how the "brain" [camshaft] of the engine works.)
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior User

Well I was thinking that the big fuel mileage helper with it would be just the more effecient flow of air. Better flow of air in and more air makes for a much more efficient engine. Its looking like I am going to be buying one of these late spring to early summer. How hard would it be to install? Pull the turbo, intake manifold, valley pan and all of that to get to the lifters and then pull those. Also the pump and timing cover would come off, but you could take that off pretty easily as one piece right? And then the radiatior would probably need removed to give room to pull the cam out and the new in.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1999, 73, bigger, cam, camshaft, engine, f250, idi, international, logger, logging, profiles, stock, theory, turbocharged, type, type4, upgrade