camshaft for the IDI: "The torque cam" Typ4 - Page 10 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

camshaft for the IDI: "The torque cam" Typ4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 AM
New User

Dieselpumpuk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Type4

Who's doing a grind this week?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 PM
New User

Still no response from R&D

Hello if anyone over there can get hold of R&D as I'm still trying to get these parts

I now have a 1993 7.3 factory turbo engine in my truck.

Cam stage1 or 2
Comp 910's
New headbolt/studs
Head gasket set
Upgraded clutch for zf5
Pump upgrade
Turbo upgrade
Injector upgrade
New glowplugs

If someone could at least give the guy a nudge as he's not responding to any of my emails?? My contact details are on www.dieselpumpuk.com or email luke.dale1@btinternet.com.

Thanks for the advice on cams everyone now I just need to get one here!!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Posting Guru

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpumpuk View Post
Hello if anyone over there can get hold of R&D as I'm still trying to get these parts

I now have a 1993 7.3 factory turbo engine in my truck.

Cam stage1 or 2
Comp 910's
New headbolt/studs
Head gasket set
Upgraded clutch for zf5
Pump upgrade
Turbo upgrade
Injector upgrade
New glowplugs

If someone could at least give the guy a nudge as he's not responding to any of my emails?? My contact details are on Diesel Pump UK | Super Turbo Diesel Tuning Innovations or email luke.dale1@btinternet.com.

Thanks for the advice on cams everyone now I just need to get one here!!
Are you talking about Russ/Typ4(i.e. who this topic is about), or Justin/R&D IDI Performance?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrobb View Post
Are you talking about Russ/Typ4(i.e. who this topic is about), or Justin/R&D IDI Performance?
I'm actually talking about Justin (R&D) but anyone that can supply the parts would be great!!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
well at least you know your hijacking lol.

tip;
people who have trucks and parts to sell here are supposed to be using the devoted marketplace to list their stuff and provide their contact info.i would begin searching there.if you don't see them and their parts listed there,you could send them a pm letting them know,they're loosing a potential major revenue.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum231/

Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled Banks Sidewinder Turbo,E4OD,5:13,Dually,16' Dump & Auto Crane.
The Toy: '68 T-bird Coupe 429TJ,C6,2:80
Old 12-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Freshman User

94iditpuller is starting off with a positive reputation.
5yrs still no numbers i thought it was low $ for dyno #
{ my life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather i will skid in broadside, thor0ughly used up,totally worn out,and loudly proclaiming,,,WOW,,WHAT A RIDE!!! }reaperwear
Old 12-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Posting Guru

Ford F834 has a good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a good reputation on FTE.
Problem is that no one has yet done a before and after dyno run where the only change is the cam. There are lots of dyno results but no comparisons to quantify the gains of just the cam. The gains will also vary depending on your fuel, turbo, timing etc.,
Old 12-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Posting Guru

88 Ford IDI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94iditpuller View Post
5yrs still no numbers i thought it was low $ for dyno #
There are dyno numbers of trucks with the cam but no before and after numbers. You could always be the first...
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Elder User

The_Josh_Bear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI View Post
There are dyno numbers of trucks with the cam but no before and after numbers. You could always be the first...
Isn't it a royal PITA to put a cam in a V-8?

Something like this:
Pull everything in front of the engine, pull crank/water pulleys, pull timing cover.
Pull valve covers and lift entire valve-train(does that mean head bolts??), and find a way to hold the pushrods up and away from the cam.
Then pull cam, reinstall new cam with assembly lube. (Whole can of worms with pulling cam gear and installing on new cam too)
Reinstall everything in reverse order.

Let me know what I missed guys, thanks.

Joshua
'89 F-250 7.3 N/A, 5-speed, 4X4, 4.10's, Crew Cab, Long Bed - 3g Alt, Beru's with manual glow plug mod, soup bowl gone, 4" ram air, proper west coast towing mirrors, LuK flywheel/clutch kit, proper Y-pipe collector to 3.5" exhaust
Quote:
Rick993: My thinking right now is everything I'm installing (axle pivot bushing, leaf spring bushings, etc) just requires parts, a lot of brute violence, and a torque wrench. I'm comfortable with that.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Freshman User

79jasper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jasper Levi Russell
Not quite that complicated.
Don't know why you would ever need to pull the heads.
If you pull the valley pan you can easily get at the push rods and lifters.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Posting Guru

Ford F834 has a good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear View Post
Isn't it a royal PITA to put a cam in a V-8?

Something like this:
Pull everything in front of the engine, pull crank/water pulleys, pull timing cover.
Pull valve covers and lift entire valve-train(does that mean head bolts??), and find a way to hold the pushrods up and away from the cam.
Then pull cam, reinstall new cam with assembly lube. (Whole can of worms with pulling cam gear and installing on new cam too)
Reinstall everything in reverse order.

Let me know what I missed guys, thanks.

Joshua

Yes, it is major surgery. You do not have to disturb the head fasteners though. The IP and injector lines need to come off so you can remove the intake, valley pan, lifter retainer and lifters. Then everything on the front of the engine.The front clip has to come off or else the radiator, AC condenser and grille can be removed. I've pulled a couple of cams at the junkyard to get cores. It's not too horrible but a full swap with putting everything back would be an all day event, possibly more if you ran into any complications.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Elder User

typefour is starting off with a positive reputation.
When the cam was first developed it made 11% more torque and HP across the board.
That was 20 years ago. So, just a hp number isnt really important as the timing fuel and all the other variables can affect those results in IDENTICAL trucks.
The gain is important. I might do a before and after on the dually just cause.
91 f 350 cc 4x4, 3:55 gears. zf 5, 7.3 ATS 093 with bigger comp wheel, intercooled with cutdown 7,3 ps IC all gauges ignored with good aftermarket ones. Head studs, balanced . 12 psi 1k pyro under load way better mileage than the 460.

218/461 on the dyno. after 80k miles, wanted to make sure she was broke in.
sandeater1@gmail.com
Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 AM
New User

Trev1lov3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This has been a sick thread to follow got a 90 n/a idi and cant wait to start doin some work now.