2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration problems... common?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 AM
jnye6625
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration problems... common?

Hey guys,
I have an 07 F-150 and about two months ago I put some new tires on it. I went with the GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac and they are slightly larger in diameter than the stock tires. The truck always seemed to ride completely smooth prior to the new tires, and now I have a vibration which comes on at about 54 MPH, and seems to completley go away by about 60MPH. The vibration is also sometimes more severe and sometimes less severe and is never predictable. There is nothing I have been able to do to make it come or go. I took the truck back to the tire dealer several times with a complaint of vibration and each time they woudl re-balance the tires. The first time I left when the tires were brand new the vibration was the worst after about 20 miles of driving. When I took it back they said it looked like I threw a weight on each wheel. Both times after that they told me that the wheels balanced perfectly without any changes. I had originally thought that what might have happened was when they changed the tire they knocked one or more of my tire pressure sensors loose and they were flopping around inside the tire when I drove. I had a theory that sometimes the pressure sensor would be in a "good" location where the tire was still balanced and it would be smooth, but other times it would be in a "bad" spot and it would be out of balance and vibrate. I recently talked to a reputable Ford mechanic who told me that he's seen this type of problem all the time on the 2004-08 ford trucks and that every one of them has some degree of vibration at some speed. He showed me a Ford TSB which highlights the problem and recommends purchasing a fix and installing it on the rear left side of the frame. The fix looks to be a cast iron block with rubber mounts. Now I'm starting to think that with the stiffer and larger tires on my truck, I have made the vibration more significant and have moved the vibration to a speed where I notice it more. Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of this?

Jesse

Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
04stx
New User
My 04 STX regcab 4X4 rides smooth at all speeds. I can't say that I ever notices a vibration at any speed. Have you looked into the possibility of one or more of the tires being out of round. I had that happen to me on a different vehicle. It is very frustrating try to find the cause of the vibration when it is one of the tires.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jnye6625
Hey guys,
I have an 07 F-150 and about two months ago I put some new tires on it. I went with the GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac and they are slightly larger in diameter than the stock tires. The truck always seemed to ride completely smooth prior to the new tires, and now I have a vibration which comes on at about 54 MPH, and seems to completley go away by about 60MPH. The vibration is also sometimes more severe and sometimes less severe and is never predictable. There is nothing I have been able to do to make it come or go. I took the truck back to the tire dealer several times with a complaint of vibration and each time they woudl re-balance the tires. The first time I left when the tires were brand new the vibration was the worst after about 20 miles of driving. When I took it back they said it looked like I threw a weight on each wheel. Both times after that they told me that the wheels balanced perfectly without any changes. I had originally thought that what might have happened was when they changed the tire they knocked one or more of my tire pressure sensors loose and they were flopping around inside the tire when I drove. I had a theory that sometimes the pressure sensor would be in a "good" location where the tire was still balanced and it would be smooth, but other times it would be in a "bad" spot and it would be out of balance and vibrate. I recently talked to a reputable Ford mechanic who told me that he's seen this type of problem all the time on the 2004-08 ford trucks and that every one of them has some degree of vibration at some speed. He showed me a Ford TSB which highlights the problem and recommends purchasing a fix and installing it on the rear left side of the frame. The fix looks to be a cast iron block with rubber mounts. Now I'm starting to think that with the stiffer and larger tires on my truck, I have made the vibration more significant and have moved the vibration to a speed where I notice it more. Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of this?

Jesse
I had one that vibrated at the same speeds...It turned out to be a bent driveshaft. Check your U-Joints, too. Just a thought.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

My '05 vibrated and I took it to my mechanic who balanced each tire and rotated them. No more vibration...............

Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
very very common issue man. especially the 04/05 trucks.

several easy fixes

1. Get each wheel "ROAD FORCE BALANCED"
2. While the rims are off, check each lug stud for a tiny little retainer washer...remove
3. When installing rims back, ensure they are only torqued on at 150 ft-lbs...tighter can cause vibration

after that, then I would start looking at bent/worn out stuff

Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM
jdrahush
Senior User
One thing to remember is that all balancing machines are not created equal. Nor are the people who work them. I had a vibration that I thought was the tires so I took it to the local tire shop where I bought them. After two trips there with the problem persisting I took it to a Ford Dealership where they discovered they were fairly imbalanced. Apparently they had a monkey working the tire machine at the local shop. Long story short mabye try someone else.