1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Transmission Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 AM
skier24
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Slipping?

Hey guys,
I have a '98 Expedition EB, 5.4, 4R100 trans. When taking off, especially when cold, it goes into drive. Give it gas it slowly creeps forward and then eventually catches up and takes off like it should have from the start. It sometimes does this when it is warm too. The truck has been doing this for a couple of years. I pull a 3000 pound boat with it and have no trouble pulling up a steep ramp. The fluid and filter has been changed. I swapped the neutral switch with a used one and no change. Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skier24
Hey guys,
I have a '98 Expedition EB, 5.4, 4R100 trans. When taking off, especially when cold, it goes into drive. Give it gas it slowly creeps forward and then eventually catches up and takes off like it should have from the start. It sometimes does this when it is warm too. The truck has been doing this for a couple of years. I pull a 3000 pound boat with it and have no trouble pulling up a steep ramp. The fluid and filter has been changed. I swapped the neutral switch with a used one and no change. Any ideas?

It sounds like the front pump is worn out, I'm surprized that it is still going.
Go by Advance A. P. and get it checked for codes and then post them. From all I've heard and read you are overworking either the clutches or the low/reverse band and that is not a good thing. From now until you get another trans in it you should give it time to warm up enough to go into gear without hesitation.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
skier24
Trailering
I can check my own codes. There are none.
It has done this after being driven 200 miles and stopping for gas so it is not just an issue of warming up.
Even when cold it goes into gear immediately. It just seems to slip and crawl along for say, 25 feet, then it catches up and accelerates normally. Sometimes it will do this one time. Sometimes it will happen several times a day, even after warming up.
I would hate to replace the transmission unnecessarily if it could be caused by something relatively simple. I also can't believe mine is the only one that has had this problem.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
skier24
Trailering
If it was an issue with the low/reverse band, wouldn't reverse be affected also? I have never noticed it in reverse.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
If it was an issue with the low/reverse band, wouldn't reverse be affected also? I have never noticed it in reverse.
Not always, many times I have seen a no low situation but a good reverse. Personal experience, I'm not a tranny man so I'm not the one to try and do an indepth diagnosis of transmission problems. You didn't say if you have tried changing the fluid and filter, if you haven't, you should and while youi are doing it take a good look at the contents in the pan. If there is a lot of debris in there I would say you need or will need a rebuild soon. The best way to find out is to change the fluid yourself, don't just go get it flushed as that rarely gets the filter changed and you will not see what is in the pan.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:00 PM
skier24
Trailering
I changed the fluid and filter when this first started happening and made no difference. Nothing unusual was in the bottom of the pan. Fluid did not smell burnt. Like I said this has been happening for a couple of years. It still pulls my boat fine. I can't see replacing the transmission until it gets worse or quits. Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I changed the fluid and filter when this first started happening and made no difference. Nothing unusual was in the bottom of the pan. Fluid did not smell burnt. Like I said this has been happening for a couple of years. It still pulls my boat fine. I can't see replacing the transmission until it gets worse or quits. Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.
You might want to post your question in the F 150 forum as they share the same transmissions.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM
skier24
Trailering
Good idea. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 AM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
Just an idea, I would try to put some Lucas transmission slip fix in your trans if you ever change the fluid again. Your transmission might be to far gone for it to help but I have used it a couple of times and have had nothing but great results. In my opinion its worth a try since its a lot cheaper and easier than having to replace the transmission.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM
ToolTime
Senior User
Wink

Here's an idea! How about taking it to a real trans guy? One you can trust, who would give you the real skinny...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by ToolTime
Here's an idea! How about taking it to a real trans guy? One you can trust, who would give you the real skinny.
Yeah he could, but then no one would need us anymore.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
ToolTime
Senior User
Talking

Only you could get away with that one my man! Glad to see you are still hanging around. I havent been on here in a while. And the first day I post something, you show up right behind...Ahhhh good times!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
the first day I post something, you show up right behind...Ahhhh
I'm not too sure I like how that sounds.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloro
I'm not too sure I like how that sounds.
let us know if you two need a private thread

skier pull your pan and check the torque of your main control and feed bolts on your center support assembly

Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
skier24
Trailering
Here's an idea! How about taking it to a real trans guy? One you can trust, who would give you the real skinny...
I wish I knew one I could trust. If I had an idea what was wrong and did not want to fix it myself I would take it to a mechanic. Meanwhile it still works just fine.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slipping?