Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

No muffler= more power.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:49 PM
rckslash2010
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No muffler= more power.

I went ahead and pulled the muffler off this morning and took it for a test run to see if it was still doggy. The muffler had FORD stamped on it. I'm not sure if it was the original muffler, but I would assume that if anyone was going to replace the muffler, they wouldn't go to the ford dealer to buy one.
Talk about loud!! It didn't sound like any diesal I've ever heard. I took it out on the highway and opened her up. It felt like a whole other truck. Now this is the truck that I've been wanting. I wasn't pinned to the seat going through the gears, but it was a diffinet improvement. When I'm cruising at 55 all it takes is just a little tap on the pedal, and I'm up to 65 like nothing. Now I have to be careful of the speeding tickets. I damn near had tears in my eye's when I pulled into the driveway,and put her in 2nd. I spun the tires in the snow all the way up to the house, and the sound was terrific.
What I want to do tomorrow is, run to town and get some 3" exhaust pipe. I'm going to see if I can't find 4" tailpipe. Then I'll run the pipe where the muffler used to be and go without one for a while. Does anyone see any issues with me not running with a muffler. It's loud when I'm getting on it, but when I'm cruising it isn't very bad at all. I think the cops around here will leave me alone, as long as I'm not hot rodding it around. And I don't plan to. As far as fuel millage goes, will I get a little better? I think yes, because I have better air flow. And then no, because I like to open it up a little now and again for the sound. I'm going to cut that muffler in half too, and see how bed it really was. Then eventually I'm going to replace all the exhaust pipe to 3 inch. I've read some posts from the past, and I would like to take it back all the way from the heads, I'm not saying I want to replace the heads. Just from the heads back.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most places do not bother a diesel with straights unless you get stupid. lol
When you hook on to a load you can't keep it quiet though.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM
rckslash2010
Senior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
Most places do not bother a diesel with straights unless you get stupid. lol
When you hook on to a load you can't keep it quiet though.
I'll go until I get pulled over, then I'll put a muffler on it.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had mine striaght piped for over a year now and have never had even a second look from a cop. I don't think they would bother anyone unless a complaint was filed. As long as you don't get stupid in residental areas you should be alright.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
my 88 ran with straight pipes to the stacks for 18 years. the only reason i put a muffler on it was because i was waking the 80 year old neighbor up when i started it at night to go plowing. the magnaflo delta 50 made it quiet at idle, but it still barks when opened up.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
damac
Senior User
What happens noise wise when you take out a muffler and run a bigger exhuast, vs. running a bigger exhaust and having a tail pipe from each header?

Then what happens later if you want to get a turbo, do you have to redesign your whole layout?

Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you run duals you wil have to go back to a single pipe off the turbo then split them if you want.You have to change the y pipe and all of it if your exhaust is stock, when you turbo it.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
ah man.i dunno how you guys can stand that.iv heard the Utube video's.that would never work here.way to loud.even the straight piped turbo's would draw to much attention and probably yield a ticket.i used to like loud trucks/cars too.geeze im getting old i guess.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Chevy 6.2D
Senior User
the straight piped turbo's would draw to much attention
And NA engines are even louder- I ran my 7.3 with a straight pipe exiting under the box, I loved the sound, it was so loud. But it was also just as loud in the cab- if it would've had a tailpipe I think it would've been alright.

I threw a glasspack on it that i had, and now's it quiet, but I'm putting 6" stacks on this spring and then it will be straight piped again. Can't wait to hear this thing roar with stacks!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
dieselkid
Senior User
run it stright!!! haha i ran mine stright and its so amazing, i also have a 72 bug that is a stright piped but has a baffal at the end o_0 u wana talk about loud.... everyone has to take a double take to make sure its a bug and not some muscle car running around. i have never ever had a cop pull me over to noise ordinance. and even when they do u ask "wut r u using to test how loud my car is?" cuz they never have the desable check on them, and no cop even know wut the legal limit is for a car/truck...

i was only pulled over in the worst spot in my town and it was past 2in the morning, ha ya i know, but that was in the bug were it ideals loud.
u will be find, these truck arint any louder then most of those new truck with glass packs on em so u will be fine, plus like i said u wont bust the desibale rating, so legaly ur fine