1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD Shift Problem. Need expert Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 PM
forensicpsyguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Shift Problem. Need expert Help!

When I bought the truck it had a rebuilt E4OD. It performed normally for at least 1000 miles as far as I could tell. On a 250 mi road trip it left me stranded via the trans over heating. When serviced it was discovered that the trans fluid filter fell into the bottom of the pan. After the fix, the trans was filled with new fluid but it shifted hard after that point. I didn’t know this could signal a serious problem and took it on the same 250mi road trip again. This time I didn't make it because the OD Light on the shifter came on and it started slipping out of gear. I decided the trans was probably toast from the first time of losing the fluid screen (trans got so hot it smoked) and I installed (another) rebuilt trans and TC. 2nd transmission, now a delayed high RPM shift...and prob getting too hot for all the cooling I now have set up.

The rebuilt transmission that I bought was supposedly an improvement over the old one in that I was told it was a 1997 E4OD. The later E4OD's were improved with a stronger planetary gear system. The hookups for the send/return cooler lines and the dipstick tube were the newer type, so I am sure it is a 1997.

Changes I Made:
I replaced the speed sensor in the differential, the manual lever position sensor on the trans, and the throttle position sensor on the gas pedal. The rebuilt trans has a large cooler, inline filter, and temp gauge with the sensor installed in the pan.

Reprogrammed by DP Tuner:
When I sought PCM programming, the check engine light was on but I was not able to retrieve codes. The basic 2-button OBD-II scanner I had would not communicate with the PCM. Since DP Tuner programmed my PCM, my scanner can communicate but it comes back as "no trouble codes stored." Same result with the better scanner at Advance Auto. I went on base where I am stationed and the auto hobby shop had a MODIS Snap On scanner that was capable of communicating with the PCM for the codes. I got the following codes.

P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range (not concerned right now)
P0605 Internal Control Module ROM Error (This is due to the tuning)
P0344 CMP Sensor Circuit Intermittent (This sensor has now been replaced)
No transmission codes!

Now that my PCM has been programmed, the shifts seem different even though I suspect the PCM is still NOT doing the shifts (seems to still be in "limp" mode). The trans will shift from 1-2 if I manually shift from D to 2 (soft slipping kind of shift). The trans will then shift from 2-3 when I manually shift from 2-D (firm shift). Even to shift manually seems I have to get the RPMs just right. If I didn't shift manually, the trans would probably burn up much faster....LOTS of high RPM from 1-2

So basically it is not shifting correctly. Seems like the 1-2 and perhaps the 2-3 shift. I can get it to shift manually in the strange way that I described.

I did give in and take it to Ford. Using their transmission diagnostic kit (which eliminates the PCM doing the shifting) the tech found that transmission wasn't doing the 1-2 shift. The solenoids "ohmed out" to the correct specs so he felt it is not electronic. From what I have read the solenoids may spec out electronically but not work hydraulically, so I replaced the solenoid pack with a refurbished one. I also removed the valve body and installed the Transgo HD2 shift kit but didn't see anything out of place with the VB.

The PCM has been identified when other people have had similar problems online. AND....this is the second transmission that has had difficulties in the truck. Could this all be convoluted because perhaps there was a different problem for each trans? Who knows!

For all I have replaced, what to try next?

BTW....anyone know the differences in the MLPS between the transmissions? Do I get one to match the trans year or the PCM year...or does it matter? If the MLPS wrong or misaligned wouldn't the tech have caught that or the PCM throw codes? Is there a way to align it properly without that "special tool?"

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im certainly no expert in trannys but what i will say is to suggest a VERY large tranny cooler, if you can get a tranny that hot then you must tow pretty effing heavy! lol look up truecool tranny cooler, its pretty massive.

secondly, when you get your truck back unplug both batteries so there is zero juice to the truck, that will clear all codes from the pcm and will/should take the tranny out of limp mode if its still there. may have been a stored code from the last tranny. drive the truck and see if theres an issue, if the problem persists then you know there is a tranny issue that needs to be worked out. but please be carefull, by the sounds of the heavy loads you tow, really take it easy with the chip, the engine is certainly up for the trip and the power but it is easy to get the truck in to redzone temps ie exhaust gas temps, and can do some significant damage. dp tuner is a great tuner and im sure you have a low horse tow setting.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The MLPS must match the PCM. You can align the MLPS without the tool. There is an alignment mark that will be aligned when the trans is in neutral. If the MLPS doesn't match the PCM it should have set a code.

As for what's wrong with this trans, I dunno.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got to thinking about it

You know, the filter falling out does not sound right to me; did the old O-ring stick up in there when the filter was replaced? Mine did I had to dig it out.