Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
rockher_man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question World Windsor Sr iron heads?

Just wondering...I have a "line" on a few good "used" sets of heads for a
motor I am gettin' ready for...SBF stroker...Probe SRS forged pistons,
10666 - Ford 331/347 -4.0cc Flat Top SRS Pistons
'70 block, most likely stayin' 331-cubes...'"street-only"...NO 1320 time!

Hydraulic flat tappet...
Roller lifters?
Cam???........thinkin' maybe XTREME ENERGY 35-242-3

COMP Cams - Cam Details

Will be in my '56 Effie when all done and said...3435 lb.s with me in
it...give or take...although...tho I could be persuaded at the very last
second to go 347......man...I hate that...

There is a few dudes stringing me along with the usual "make me an offer"
crap while I shoot back the usual WHAT DO YA WANT FOR 'EM?!

I don't want to scare 'em off 'cause they seem like good deals...

This dude is the only one with a price!!!

#1) World Windsor Sr iron heads, fresh out of the machine shop
2.020/1.600 valves, hydraulic roller springs good to .625 lift,
titanium retainers, 10-degree locks, studs and guides,
ported and polished.
Asking $550.00.

#2) Canfield Aluminum Heads,
I bought the heads new, I should still have the recipt, but I've had them
for probably 6yrs or so. During that time, they've probably got about 3000miles on them.

They are the 58cc chamber ones, I don't know the part number off the
top of my head, but I can get it and send it to you.

-

Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1) Why wouldn't you go with a 347 instead of the 331? If you're going to spend the dough anyway why not get all the cubes you can. Especially in a 3,500 lb car.

2) If you're even thinking roller cam then ditch the '70 block and get a roller block - you'll spend $1000 for a roller set up in the old block vs. ~ the cost of a cam in a factory roller engine.

3) For that price ready-to-bolt-on the World Sr. heads are decent. Three hundred fifty cubes is right at that point where you've got to choose between runners that may be a bit small vs. runners that are a bit too big. For cruising and occasional appearances of Dr. Heavyfoot I'd err on the side of too small. You'll just need to check p/v clearance with the 2.02 valves. OTOH, at that price you're not far from a pair of CNC ported factory heads that work really, really well on street/dd type rides.

Canfield makes some sweet heads, but they (and people) are usually pretty fond of them and the ones I've ever seen have been better suited to the dragstrip/oval crowd. 58cc chambers would push your cr up to ~10.25:1 (assuming a 331, maybe 10.75 in a 347). No worries if you don't mind pumping Ethyl...

Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 956 Likes on 757 Posts
Go with the 347.. more cubes are always better, and definitely use a newer roller block the early block isn't really buying you any more durability. The Windsor Sr is a half decent head.. despite the valve and port sizes it doesn't have a great runner profile so airflow isn't as good as it could be. Have a look at the chart below and you'll see how he big name heads tend to flow much better on the exhaust side in particular. And while port and polish may sound good to the inexperienced it's easier to mess up a head than improve it, so I wouldn't put much value in it unless it was done by an experienced tech with flowbench results to prove the heads were actually improved.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2089/...a1dcf6c1_o.gif

Old 02-13-2010, 10:29 PM
8bahead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's something to consider, I have a 347 yes do the 347 its not that much more money. I have the world senior heads on my engine, by the time you spend the money on the right springs, retainers and locks had to change from 7* to 10* retainers and locks,bowl blending, and a performance valve job. I changed the valve stem seals the rubber boots aren't worth messing with. I had to change the screw in studs to 7/16 on both ends, I run dual springs for my cam specs. I have full roller comp cam gold magnum rockers.

I have quite a bit of money in these heads,I bought mine new, so the cost of the machining bowl blending and all new hardware cause the stuff that come with the heads wasn't good enough. I could have bought a much better product. Canfield is a good choice yes, early canfiels heads weren't the best had a lot of casting issues, over the last 4 years they had gotten all the bugs out of them. It's too Bad John Canfield decided to retire, and close down his operation.

RHS makes good cylinder heads, trick flo 190cc fast as cast are really nice heads good flow numbers. Good heads and a Good cam are going to net you the best results.
Go with the roller block and roller cam you wont be sorry, its more money yes but its worth it, why spend money twice, do it right the first time.

I have a good engine no problems its still in the break-in I have put 125 miles on it, it's not a racing engine, it has plenty of torque and put your *** in the seat power!

Do plenty of research google 347 stroker sbftech is a really good site if you want good info. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
I like the 331 stroker with the canfield heads, the world products are not too hot, seem to have a lot of core shift in the casting, the short side radius is a joke, and so is the maching of the guides.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Boba Fett
Elder User
Listen to BaronVon here and heed his advice.....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
BlueOvalGuy'61
New User
I have a similar project and this is more for the experts on here, but the stroker kits I have been looking at are from Coast High Performance. Is there any truth or conern with oil by-pass with the 347 kits? I know CHP used a different stroke to allow for some piston material for the bottom rings but someone claimed these pistons were weak.

I have a '75 block from a Granada and was wondering if a roller can was compatible with this and if not what a good alternative would be.

Also heads I have seen the Gt40s are popular but Im not sure if thats the route I want to go. I do know I what to use aluminum heads.

My requirements for this engine or my goals are 400hp/400ft-lb with a redline of 6000-6500rpms. The engine is going in a SWB 61 F-100 which weighs approx. 3500-4000lbs. I am wanting this to be very aggresive street/cruiser since that is all it will be used for.

I appreciate you guys' time and any input is appreciated!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 956 Likes on 757 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalGuy'61
I have a '75 block from a Granada and was wondering if a roller can was compatible with this and if not what a good alternative would be.
You can use a standard roller cam as long as you use linkbar roller lifters with it. The other alternative is a small base circle cam with factory roller lifters and spider assembly but these cams are weak and selection is limited so you'll likely be buying a custom cam.

Also heads I have seen the Gt40s are popular but Im not sure if thats the route I want to go. I do know I what to use aluminum heads.
They're decent heads for a stock 5.0 but that's about it.

My requirements for this engine or my goals are 400hp/400ft-lb with a redline of 6000-6500rpms. The engine is going in a SWB 61 F-100 which weighs approx. 3500-4000lbs. I am wanting this to be very aggresive street/cruiser since that is all it will be used for.
You need all the displacement you can get then and heads as capable as AFR185's or 180cc Twisted Wedge.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
BlueOvalGuy'61
New User
Originally Posted by Conanski
You can use a standard roller cam as long as you use linkbar roller lifters with it. The other alternative is a small base circle cam with factory roller lifters and spider assembly but these cams are weak and selection is limited so you'll likely be buying a custom cam.

They're decent heads for a stock 5.0 but that's about it.

You need all the displacement you can get then and heads as capable as AFR185's or 180cc Twisted Wedge.

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Alicia Hebner
New User
World Sr Heads... Still for sale?/Who is the seller?

Hi! I am new to this but I am looking for World Sr Heads for 351 Windsor and I saw your thread and was wondering if you are the seller of these items and if they are still available for sale? If they are not your items I was wondering if you could tell me who has them? Your response is much appreciated.
Joshua H.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 PM
jacks61ford
Senior User
I had set of Windsor sr heads on a super stout 289 dunno of the hp rating but I was pulling 12.35 In the quarter of my 61 falcon street car ....in my f100 I'm running procomp heads and intake with a trick flow stage three cam with comp roller rockers on a 94 mustang roller block with je pistons I have yet to take it to the track but I bet it will smoke my falcons time I feel it runs much much harder and the price of procomp heads is real fair

Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM
smalltrucker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alicia Hebner
Hi! I am new to this but I am looking for World Sr Heads for 351 Windsor and I saw your thread and was wondering if you are the seller of these items and if they are still available for sale? If they are not your items I was wondering if you could tell me who has them? Your response is much appreciated.
Joshua H.
Another guy here but I have a never used set of the Sr. heads with no place to use them anymore. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Dave