1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
View Poll Results: is toyota finished
finished. could not recover from incidents in such a competitive market.
3.13%
Untouched. people are over-reacting; everything will be fine.
25.00%
They'll hurt, but get over it and limp for years and eventually recover.
60.42%
They'll hurt, and never quite recover from these incidents and accusations.
11.46%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

IS TOYOTA FINISHED ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Two things -- it was supposedly known about back in 2007.
Yep. its hard to argue that. Last week when Mr. Toyoda (3rd gen or something) was admitting all of the companies' faults over the last few years, I was nearly expecting him to sacrifice his life in front of everyone in shame for what they had done. Hope they learned a lesson particularly when it comes to covering up known defects.

And your second point?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Supposedly, this stuff was known about in 2007. Go figger.

And now, I'm hearing about Honda's recalls as well in the news. I, for one, am GLAD these two manufacturers are getting this beating for a change. Most folks that know anything about cars knows that them being so much better than American cars is a wives' tale. Maybe back in the 80s there was some truth to it, but not anymore.

The Big 3 all have active recalls right now, but it's only when someone gets killed does it make all the news. And that 911 call of the guy with his family in the car is just nerve-racking to listen to. Talk about feeling helpless...

Old 02-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Firestone tire / Explorer issue was caused by drivers who panic when they got a flat tire. There were not an exceptional number of tire failures for miles driven on them. Independent testing showed that Explorers of that era had no propensity to rollover. No more than other SUVs.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Most folks that know anything about cars knows that them being so much better than American cars is a wives' tale. Maybe back in the 80s there was some truth to it, but not anymore.
Gotta disagree here Izzy. Having been and still am, an incredibly satisfied Yoda owner for nearly 30 years I can personally attest to the quality level i have experienced. Top shelf customer service and follow up, zero rattles in 4 and 5 year old abused vehicles, fit and finish that Detroit has used as a model for itself, fuel efficiency second to none, and 4 cylinder engines capable of 300k trouble free mile are amongst my praises for them.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
TOYOTA

Think!
Or
You'll
Own
This
Automobile!
I didn't It took 28 day to learn and get rid of.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bdox
The Firestone tire / Explorer issue was caused by drivers who panic when they got a flat tire. There were not an exceptional number of tire failures for miles driven on them. Independent testing showed that Explorers of that era had no propensity to rollover. No more than other SUVs.
+1 Operator error and ******* juries.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
More bad new for Toyota

Toyota Recalls 8,000 Tacoma Trucks

http://www.news4jax.com/nationalnews...88/detail.html

Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
My Vic has this throttle by wire system. As soon as this hit the news I took it out just to make sure that I could stop it at a runaway.

I am still puzzled at the dead trroper and his family. An Experience High Speed driver! Why in the hell didn't just turn off the damn key or shift into neutral. To hell with the engine. Let the bitch blow. Instead, he killed his family.

By the way, my Vic was a bitch to steer and stop with no power, but it can be done. I did the test at 110 mph. Ran it up, switched off the key, popped it in neutral, coasted to a stop. Took about a quarter of a mile.

A 120 mph out of control vehicle. I just gotta call BS on this one. Someone did not know how to drive. I do apologize for my thought to the troopers family, but................

Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
And that 911 call of the guy with his family in the car is just nerve-racking to listen to. Talk about feeling helpless...
Never did figure out why he didn't reach over and turn off the key.

Never did figure out why he didn't throw the tranny into neutral.

And the guy was a professionally-trained law enforcement driver?

Is something wrong with the picture? Something so wrong that the entire car-full was killed?

EDIT: Paul and I arrived at the same thoughts at the same time. He just types a little faster!

Pop

Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Is something wrong with the picture? Something so wrong that the entire car-full was killed?

Pop
Pop, I agree, something is more than wrong with that picture. I have worked quite a few car wrecks. I can see this happening to a "Little Ole Lady" and having a panic attack, but not a Trooper.

The more I dig into it..........well, better not say much more. Slander/Accusations can get the old butt into trouble, especially with my job and profession.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pmasley
My Vic has this throttle by wire system. As soon as this hit the news I took it out just to make sure that I could stop it at a runaway.

I am still puzzled at the dead trroper and his family. An Experience High Speed driver! Why in the hell didn't just turn off the damn key or shift into neutral. To hell with the engine. Let the bitch blow. Instead, he killed his family.

By the way, my Vic was a bitch to steer and stop with no power, but it can be done. I did the test at 110 mph. Ran it up, switched off the key, popped it in neutral, coasted to a stop. Took about a quarter of a mile.

A 120 mph out of control vehicle. I just gotta call BS on this one. Someone did not know how to drive. I do apologize for my thought to the troopers family, but................
From what I heard the driver did try to turn the engine off and shift the gear selector. It just that computer took over and those controls did nothing.
Than it is totally different story to drive 120 in cruiser with emergency lights on and different story trying to beat the traffic in private vehicle at this speed.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised that any mfg would'nt simply cut fuel back with the brake pedal pushed.
You know like how it stops fueling when you hit the end of the speedometer?

Like that, but whenever the brakes get pushed over a few mph.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
Gotta disagree here Izzy. Having been and still am, an incredibly satisfied Yoda owner for nearly 30 years I can personally attest to the quality level i have experienced. Top shelf customer service and follow up, zero rattles in 4 and 5 year old abused vehicles, fit and finish that Detroit has used as a model for itself, fuel efficiency second to none, and 4 cylinder engines capable of 300k trouble free mile are amongst my praises for them.
And my father-in-law got 400k out of a 302... Late 80s Lincoln Town Car -- no rattles. One water pump and a timing chain at 325k... Not bad.

My '00 3.0 Ranger was as tight at 100k as it was at 25k. I really liked that truck -- only got rid of it to get my '250.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parkland
I'm surprised that any mfg would'nt simply cut fuel back with the brake pedal pushed.
You know like how it stops fueling when you hit the end of the speedometer?

Like that, but whenever the brakes get pushed over a few mph.
My 12 years old Mercedes cuts off the throttle the instant you touch the brake pedal. I am annoyed because I can't do the burnouts.
Than the governor cuts off the fuel way before end of speedometer.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
And my father-in-law got 400k out of a 302... Late 80s Lincoln Town Car -- no rattles. One water pump and a timing chain at 325k... Not bad.

My '00 3.0 Ranger was as tight at 100k as it was at 25k. I really liked that truck -- only got rid of it to get my '250.
And I like my Ranger so much @ 215k I'll probably never get rid of it. And I love my 08 SD (it rattles, way too much cheap plastic in the interior). Love my diesel boom truck too even though the steering is about as numb as it gets. All that I'm saying is Toyota has a reputation as a quality vehicle because they earned it, not a wives' tale as you referred to it. BTW, my 79 Lincoln Town Car needed a transmission at 60k (very well maintained) and a valve job and timing chain along with upper control arms, ball joints and tie rod ends at about 65,000. But it didn't have any rattles. Not that I could have heard them over the endless clunking coming from the front end.

Quick Reply: IS TOYOTA FINISHED ???