Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

I can't figure out how to get the front axle 4WD apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM
CraigK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't figure out how to get the front axle 4WD apart

Haynes is terrible. I wanted to change the rotors but ran out of time so I had to pop on new pads and go.

I got the cover off, the bearing, snap ring and big spring but that's it. I couldn't understand what the Haynes manual was telling me to do.

Anyone have pictures?

Thx.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
northeaster79
Elder User
well all you got apart by the sounds of it was the hub assembly,then you have to take your 1 or 2 depending bearing nuts off,remove your outter bearing and pull your hub assembly,then drive your wheel studs out and replace your rotor,I would suggest that you replace your wheel studs at the same time,they are sometimes salvagable,but its NEVER a good idea to reuse them,specially considering they are only about a dollar each.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
CraigK
Senior User
I don't think I even got the hubs out. Haynes said to pull it out but it wouldn't. I lined it up so it would but there were 2 clip things keeping it from coming out.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
DasCheckers
Elder User
Craig, it sounds like you need the spanner socket.
I'm not sure of the exact size, but I'm sure this is it right here.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...qx/product.htm

Haynes always fails to mention you need special tools haha. Go to your local auto parts store and they should be able to hook you up.

I should have taken photos a couple weeks ago when I did mine.
Maybe I'll do it again and post an article.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
ahh,your still need to get the geared part of your hub out,did you take the outter lock ring out,if not you have to push that gear in and around the outside edge there is a small ring,if you have two o-ring pics or two small slot screw drivers find the edges of that ring and pop it out.and if you already have the snapriing of the axle the hub will pull out,you may need to thread a couple screws back in to give you something to pull on if its a little sticky.
once you get that out you'll need a 4x4 hub sockets.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by northeaster79
ahh,your still need to get the geared part of your hub out,did you take the outter lock ring out,if not you have to push that gear in and around the outside edge there is a small ring,if you have two o-ring pics or two small slot screw drivers find the edges of that ring and pop it out.and if you already have the snapriing of the axle the hub will pull out,you may need to thread a couple screws back in to give you something to pull on if its a little sticky.
once you get that out you'll need a 4x4 hub sockets.
I agree. It sounds like he hasn't taken out the big lock ring that goes all the way around the inside of the hub itself. It rides in a groove cut in the hub.
Use this as far as you need to: Bronco Ball Joint Replacement - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
CraigK
Senior User
The assembly changed in 1995 so mine looks nothing like that. When I take off the outside cover I have a long spring.

I'll take pictures because it's easier.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigK
The assembly changed in 1995 so mine looks nothing like that. When I take off the outside cover I have a long spring.

I'll take pictures because it's easier.
It's okay that you have the bearing and spring. It still comes apart the same.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
the hub assembly still comes apart the same,mines a 95.they still have the lock ring,and the snap ring on the axle.maybe some pictures of where you are at may help.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
CraigK
Senior User
This is all I got. I thought at this point Haynes said to pull the hub out but it won't. Does that whole piece where the cover screws into need to come off with that special tool? I have one of those tools for the Grand Wagoneer that I sold but I don't think it'll work. What is that clip thing at about the 4 o'clock position?

I looked up the PN of the special tool and it looks like the one for my Grand Wagoneer will fit. IIRC, Jeep used a lot of Ford parts.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
well I'm going to make a suggestion to you right of the top,jack it up and remove the wheel,put a jackstand under it.then you can turn the hub a bit,sometimes you have to do that to get your pieces out,is that an automatic hub?
once you get your wheel off you will see about a quarter of an inch on the inside of the wheel hub theres is groove for the lock ring we are talking about,take that out and your hub internals should come out.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM
CraigK
Senior User
I just pulled off the cover this morning for pictures. Last week when I was going to change the rotor it was off the ground. They are automatic.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
northeaster79
Elder User
ahh ok craig,but I would say that once you get that lock ring out you'll be all set to get at the wheel bearing nuts.and thats the right socket so you'll be ready.did you get new wheel studs?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
That clip in the picture you posted in acout the 4 o'clock postion comes off, than you can squease the snap ring with a needlenose pliers, and pull the lockout out at the same time. I hope that's what you where asking. Than behind the lockout, is a snap ring and a spacer that has to come off too. Its all pritty easy to do.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
CraigK
Senior User
Haynes said something about squeezing the snap ring behind that clip. I tried it and it wouldn't squeeze together at all. What is the lockout?

I didn't get new wheel studs yet. Now I'll probably wait until the end of summer and then do new studs, bearings, rotors and pads.

I had to put new pads on and bolt it back up last week.

Quick Reply: I can't figure out how to get the front axle 4WD apart