Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Rory_Johnson
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Torque Starter

After reading the following thread...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...wing-down.html

I ordered a high torque starter from DB Electrical. Noting one of the posts which mentioned the difficulty to install, I have a follow up question. Do you consider the starter to be sufficiently mounted since there are only two mounting holes as opposed to the three on the OEM starter?

thanks,

Rory

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
GOOD

Mine only has two its fine.
Starter motor mounting bolts 38 ft. lbs.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 PM
hellbound_redneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as long as the starter bolts are tight, the stress is not on the starter but rather on the ring that sits inside the bell housing.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hellbound_redneck
as long as the starter bolts are tight, the stress is not on the starter but rather on the ring that sits inside the bell housing.
Well, yes and no.

There are two forces on the starter.

One is the counter force from the flywheel. That force is borne by the ring.

The other is the starter wanting to spin around itself due to the torque on the pinion. That moment is carried by the bolts. But given that no one has reported it breaking it must be OK.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 AM
bud48fla
Junior User
The starter also fits a SD and I think the 2 bolt mount is how they were mounted on the 2000/2003. I have had the same one on my truck for about 2 years with no problems.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
i just put my db starter in about week or so ago, mabe 2 weeks and it took me 45 mins taking the starter out, putting in the new one. the back bolt took me no more than 2 mins to get out, just get a lon g extension to extend longer than the starter and you have just enough room to get to it. the starter when back in and bolted up clean, for being made in china its some quality stuff. sounds way different starting thoe, almost like a dodge? but very quick

Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
61 uni
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bud48fla
The starter also fits a SD and I think the 2 bolt mount is how they were mounted on the 2000/2003. I have had the same one on my truck for about 2 years with no problems.
My 02 has 3 bolts.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
yoslick
Elder User
No problems here but most of us have put a little loc-tite on the threads and I have checked them for tightness monthly for the past 6 months or so to be safe....

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM
TheTowingCowboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bud48fla
Well to make someone feel good, I had to drop my starter to rebuild it (It was fun, easier then those old starters) but I came to found out there were only two bolts holding mine on. And the ring gear and the starter pinion gear were both fine.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
sounds way different starting thoe, almost like a dodge? but very quick
Dodge has used reduction gear starters for decades.

How long does it take to wind down? I've noticed other reduction gear starters spin quite a while because they roll so fast. Kicking it back in too fast will make it grind.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
i just put my db starter in about week or so ago, mabe 2 weeks and it took me 45 mins taking the starter out, putting in the new one. the back bolt took me no more than 2 mins to get out, just get a lon g extension to extend longer than the starter and you have just enough room to get to it. the starter when back in and bolted up clean,
Same here. Easy install in under an hour. The worst part was the rain running down the truck and dripping in my ear, eye and mouth (guess I should close it more). And don't forget the Loctite.

for being made in china its some quality stuff.
I was a bit dismayed to see the MiC sticker on the starter. I just hope the Chinese factory truly builds to the Nippondenso spec and that it lasts. I had expected a Japanese product, but this seems to be the way of the world. Funny how things change and stay the same. We sneered at Japanese products 40 years ago. The Chinese are still behind the curve wrt quality, at this time. Okay, I'll stop, but...

My truck is being overtaken by Chinese parts!

DS

Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
I am going to bump this thread. My DB Electrical Nippon Denso "style" starter has been failing the last two weeks. It left me stranded during a snowstorm last week. Argh. I had reservations when I installed the thing. I had thought it would be a Japanese part, but it had a big Made in China sticker on it. According to Wikipedia, Denso outsorcesd some manufacturing in 2002, so the quality is suspect in my opinion.

It looks like DBE should honor the 1-yr warranty, but it's still a pain to R&R the thing and ship it back. I put the old one on, but I need a new gear reduction starter. The slow crank sucks!

What are the options for g/r starters? Mitsubishi? The other vendors I see are:

Beck-Arnley - Chinese?
BesTest - Chinese?
Ultima - O'Reilly's - Chinese?
AC-Delco - Mitsubishi?
Motorcraft - ?
Bosch - Mitsubishi?
Remy - ?

Here's a link to O'Reilly's page for 1997 PS Starters (not all are g/r starters):

List: Starter - 1997 Ford F-350 | O'Reilly Auto Parts

All of these appear to be remans except for the Ultima and one Beck-Arnley. I am okay with a reman as long as it is reliable!

Rockauto has Remy and Denso versions. I would presume the Denso is now made in China.

Please don't call me a xenophobe or anything. I just don't want to put inferior quality parts on my truck. It needs to be reliable and in my opinion Chinese automotive manufacturing has not risen to a level that I can confidently rely on.

I would appreciate any help or experience anyone can offer. Thanks.

DS

Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This is the one i put in mine it's for a 02 Super Duty it's been in for over a year and no problems
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1920&ppt=C0330

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
yoslick
Elder User
Originally Posted by deadsenator
I am going to bump this thread. My DB Electrical Nippon Denso "style" starter has been failing the last two weeks. It left me stranded during a snowstorm last week. Argh. I had reservations when I installed the thing. I had thought it would be a Japanese part, but it had a big Made in China sticker on it. According to Wikipedia, Denso outsorcesd some manufacturing in 2002, so the quality is suspect in my opinion.

It looks like DBE should honor the 1-yr warranty, but it's still a pain to R&R the thing and ship it back. I put the old one on, but I need a new gear reduction starter. The slow crank sucks!

DS
What happened that it failed? Bad ground, loose wires?? Just doesn't work?? Since you spent the cash I'd return it and get a new one or if thats a pain run it into the local starter rebuilder and have em go thru it, then you'll know it good to go!!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen what I think is called the denso super starter for the 7.3 from 88 -03. It's huge and has lots of guts. The only disadvantage is you have to cut out a little of the crossmember under the engine. This thing sounds like a 18 wheeler when it spins over. It's kinda pricy though or I'd have one on my truck.

Quick Reply: High Torque Starter