1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's rub...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
JBlrmker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35's rub...

Well I have a rough country leveling kit just put it on about 3 months ago. Bought some 17x9 inch wheels with 5 inch backspacing and 35x12.50-17" toyo m/t's and they rub right before full turn on the back of the fender wells. Turning left the left tire rubs right where the factory mudflap mounts. And right the opposite.

Any easy fix I can do to alleviate this problem? I am thinking about just buying a 6" lift. I am really just worried about resale because the truck only has 20,000 miles and i only put probably 10,000 a year if that.

Any input on what I should do? What lift kits are good? Buy a radius arm kit? What the lift will do to resale value?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
JBlrmker
Junior User
Truck looks great and tires are awsome until the tires rub! They dont even look too big. I will post some pics if I can figure out how to get them on the computer.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM
JBlrmker
Junior User
Oh and the lift was a 2.5" level kit

Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lift isn't your problem. Your problem is that you bought the wrong wheels for those tires. You need wheels with more shallow backspacing. 5" is too deep, means the tires ride too far inboard, which means they rub when at or near full lock. Try something with a 3.75" to 4" backspacing. Or at least less than 5".

I've never tried it with a Super Duty, but on Jeeps at least you can shim up your steering stops with a washer or three to make "full lock" occur a little earlier so that your tires don't rub, but you lose a little bit of turning radius as a result. The actual proper fix is to run either narrower tires or wheels with shallower backspacing.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JB,

Fire could be correct about the 5" back spacing. But from what you described it sounds like maybe the tires are hitting a spot that may be able to be corrected?
Post some photos with the bad spots clearly visible. Maybe someone can help out.

I was thinking cut-out fender flares, but if Fire is correct they won't help you.

Rick...

Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
Your truck is an 06 model correct?

First your wheels should have even MORE back space. should be around 5.75-6" The rubbing on the back fender walls can easyly be fixed by zippy tieing them back some to clear the tires. I am asuming it is just rubbing the black plastic inner liner?

I had to remove my front Mud flaps as well to the tires would clear.

All you should need to clear the tires is a 2-2.5" leveling kit for the front. You wouldn't need to go to a 6" lift.

I am running 18"x9" wheels with 5.98" of back space. My tires didn't rub on the inner wheel wells like yours but I also have a F350 with a snow plow package.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
JBlrmker
Junior User
Im gonna go try and get some pictures. The tire is rubbing where the factory mudflaps mount back more towards the radius arms.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
KBEDesigns
Freshman User
I have a 99 with stock height but rancho suspension and 35s on 16x10s and my tire treads rubbed about 3" of the liner at full lock. I fixed the plastic rear inside fender walls by using a heat gun to warm the plastic and and re-formed it just slightly using the round edge of a quart paint can. Others have cut the plastic or zip-tie it back..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
JBlrmker
Junior User
When I bought the wheels they told me to get this amount of bs cause 4.5" would be to much and it would stick out too much and hit the fender when I turned? They were 10" wheels though with 4.5 bs

Heres the link for my wheels.
M/T Classic II Wheel

Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PERFORMANCE RED
First your wheels should have even MORE back space. should be around 5.75-6"
You're confused about what backspacing is. The smaller the number, the deeper the dish so to speak, which means the further the tire rides outboard of the wheel, basically (the practical outcome, not really the technical explanation). See here for more info. And this page has a good illustration, too.

Part of the difference with PERFORMANCE RED's wheels is that they're only 9" wide, which changes what the proper backspacing would be.

One more illustration that may help, from http://www.earlywheel.com/products.html --

Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru

Last edited by Firekite; 02-09-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: double post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need more backspace, this will move your tire in more and create less front to back movement when turning. On an '05 and later you want anywhere from +6 to +24 offset, which on a 9" wide wheel would be 5.5-6.5" backspace. The wheels you bought would fit the axle width on a '04 and earlier with leaf springs. Your tires are probably about 1" outside the fender when centered, which a lot of people like, but it creates less room for tires when turning. I have -12 offset wheels on my '03 (10" wide with 5" backspace) and the 12.5" wide tires are about 1/4" outside the fender.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Actually yeah cartmanea and PERFORMANCE RED may be right, since I assumed you're rubbing inboard, not on the outside (you know what happens when you assume). If you need to move the tires further outboard, you need a smaller number on backspacing and/or a negative offset. If not, then it's going to depend on what specifically you're rubbing.

By the way, I run MT Classic II's on my Jeep, and they're a fantastic wheel, but I run 3 5/16" backspacing on an 8" wide wheel, which means the tires ride far enough out that I can run 35x12.5's without rubbing. If the tires need to be moved further out, you may want to look at selling your current wheels and replacing them with something else. If you look on Mickey Thompson's website,the only 17x9 Classic II they offer in 8 on 170 is the one you have with zero offset and 5" backspacing.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JBlrmker
Well I have a rough country leveling kit just put it on about 3 months ago. Bought some 17x9 inch wheels with 5 inch backspacing and 35x12.50-17" toyo m/t's and they rub right before full turn on the back of the fender wells. Turning left the left tire rubs right where the factory mudflap mounts. And right the opposite.

Any easy fix I can do to alleviate this problem? I am thinking about just buying a 6" lift. I am really just worried about resale because the truck only has 20,000 miles and i only put probably 10,000 a year if that.

Any input on what I should do? What lift kits are good? Buy a radius arm kit? What the lift will do to resale value?
Don't feel bad, my 35s rub on my 06 with a 8" lift. Ford really put the brakes on lifts and large tires on Superduties.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
Don't feel bad, my 35s rub on my 06 with a 8" lift. Ford really put the brakes on lifts and large tires on Superduties.
You either have extremely wide tires, or are way off on the appropriate wheel offset. Where are you rubbing and what tires/wheels do you have?

Quick Reply: 35's rub...