2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Anyone go from a Minivan to an Expedition and have regrets

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 AM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone go from a Minivan to an Expedition and have regrets

Just a little history. We had a '00 Tahoe up until 10/06 and sold it after our 2nd child born. It was just too much for my wife to load a car seat w/ baby into the Tahoe all the time. Now, our daugter is 7 and capable of opening doors and getting in and out herself. Son still in a car seat but will be in a booster within the year. We have enjoyed the Honda Odyssey a lot as it drives just like a car and handles very well. Exceptionally roomy is a big bonus.

Now, we have a popup we need a tow vehicle for and we are thinkng of getting rid of the minivan for an '08 Expedition EB or limited with all the bells and whistles. What I am not sure of is will we loose a lot of usable space that the minivan has. Is the Expy a reasonable height even for children. Do rear doors make it a pain. Test driving one for an hour or so will not be enough for us to make a decision so turning to you guys/gals who may have gone this same route. I can get a truck to tow the popup but figured why add another vehicle to my stable. thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With only two kids I think your ok. I drove a Honda van and I have 5 kids and having dual sliding doors is about the best thing I have used. Getting the kids into the third row is a bit of a pain sometimes as you have to fold up the seat, etc. You won't have that problem. I don't think you will regret it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
MikeSTGL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a similar situation as you are in. We had a chevy minivan because of kids( one young and one baby ) and pulled a pop-up with the minivan and it did OK. Decided to go to a full size camper and the wife still wanted the option of taking extra kids. Me being a GM guy looked at every option before the Expedition. As you know the third row in the Tahoe and Yukon stink. the Dodge was a little on the small size for the camper. So I looked at the Expedition immediately liked it. Third row is good , second row is good ( bench seat ) and second row to get to third row is good. Lots of room behind second row with third folded down. We have the standard length and limited behind the third row when up. The important part when we got it the oldest girl was 7 and she could get in the SUV by herself. The youngest girl who was 5 1/2 and very small could not open the door herself but could get in. The youngest is now 6 1/2 and she can open the door get in and close the door herself. We have an 07 XLT with the fold flat third row and connivence package and towing package. This would be the minimum I would buy on this SUV. The EB and Limited probably come with all those standard except towing package. Even though you will not need the tow package for a popup I would suggest to get it anyway it is cheap for what it adds to the SUV.
Sorry so long.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
3 kids with 1 coming

went from Ford Bronco (big body one), Kia Sorento, Mitsubishi Endeavour, and Toyota 4Runner to a 2006 SuperCrew F-150

then went to a Dodge Durango with 3rd row seating. Fender bender put us in a Dodge Minivan rental for 2 weeks. Finally ended up with my Expedition EL.

I am very well versed in the SUV arena. Hands down, the Expy rules them. My minivan "experience" convinced me that I will never own one. They are way too small, gutless and for me a miserable experience.

The Expy is a bit of a beast. You'll never mistake it for being very nimble...but since we were coming from a 21 foot long F-150...my wife never noticed the size of the Expy.

As Berry mentioned, getting into the 3rd row can suck at times. We typically leave 1 seat folded down and the kids get in/out there. Luckily it flips forward pretty easily...which will be nice in a few months when my boy arrives.

Space wise, the Expy has a Minivan beaten hands down. It isn't even a contest. My 6 yr old can walk around in the back easily...I am 6'3" and I'm able to get around in there pretty easily myself. And if you get a EL, the back area if monster sized. Which was very important for us because of the twins and all of their crap

For me, you cannot go wrong with one of these. The MPG's aren't the best...but if your current vehicle is anything like any of my other SUV's, you are probably getting 16-18 mixed mileage.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by tylus
Space wise, the Expy has a Minivan beaten hands down. It isn't even a contest. My 6 yr old can walk around in the back easily...I am 6'3" and I'm able to get around in there pretty easily myself. And if you get a EL, the back area if monster sized. Which was very important for us because of the twins and all of their crap
I would think that the EL would trump the minivan in terms of space but I don't think I would say the same for just the regular Expy. All great points. I think the biggest obstacle is the sliding rear doors of the minivan are just SOOOOO easy and opening them in advance of getting to the van with the remote is very convienient. I think our 7 year would be fine but our 3 1/2 year old still in a forward facing seat could crawl in but certainly couldn't open and close a door which as long as one can do it that is 1/2 the battle.

You mention the tow package. I did find one with just the Class III hitch and no 7 pin. Class III is fine for my popup but what about the wiring and any HD coolers. I want to have the coolers and if you can only get this as part of the package I will continue my search. Decisions, decisions

Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
If you get the second row captains chairs (split seats similar to the front row captains chairs) which have an open center alley/pass through, there is no problem getting to the third row seats. Passengers are free to move about the cabin from second to third row or vise versa (don’t recommend this while the vehicle is in motion, all passengers should be properly secured before getting underway)

But, this luxury option will cut the seating capacity from 8 (including the driver) down to 7. So if you really need 8 occupant seating, I would not recommend that option.

Power deployable/retractable running boards also help smaller passengers to gain access into the Expedition. This option was introduced on the 2008 model Expeditions. It is only available on Eddie Bauer, King Ranch and Limited versions.

They extend down lower than the fixed running boards (which come standard) and will fold up into a stowed position under the vehicle (they look like regular rocker panels when retracted) This also increases side ground clearance, a good thing if you get a 4x4 equipped Expedition and plan to take it in places where paved roads don’t go.
You can also alter their operation via the information message center in the instrumentation cluster. They deploy fast, no waiting, and have a kick-back function.

The heavy duty trailer tow package includes the following and is (currently) standard on Limited and King Ranch trims. Optional on XLT and Eddie Bauer.

Heavy duty trailer tow package:
• Heavy duty trailer tow preparation, vehicle comes prepped and ready to tow, right-out-of-the-box
• Heavy duty V-5 rated Class IV weight distributing receiver hitch
• Prewired for electronic trailer brake controller module
• Wiring harness, includes 4 and 7 pin quick connectors
• Heavy duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Heavy duty radiator
• Heavy duty flashers

Note that trailer sway control (TSC) was introduced on 2010 Ford Expeditions, and it is standard equipment. A factory dash mounted trailer brake controller module is not available, yet. But seeing how they are available on pickup trucks and some of the Expedition’s fellow SUV competitors, I suspect it won’t be long before such an option is available.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
If you get the second row captains chairs (split seats similar to the front row captains chairs) which have an open center alley/pass through, there is no problem getting to the third row seats. Passengers are free to move about the cabin from second to third row or vise versa (don’t recommend this while the vehicle is in motion, all passengers should be properly secured before getting underway)

But, this luxury option will cut the seating capacity from 8 (including the driver) down to 7. So if you really need 8 occupant seating, I would not recommend that option.

Power deployable/retractable running boards also help smaller passengers to gain access into the Expedition. This option was introduced on the 2008 model Expeditions. It is only available on Eddie Bauer, King Ranch and Limited versions.

They extend down lower than the fixed running boards (which come standard) and will fold up into a stowed position under the vehicle (they look like regular rocker panels when retracted) This also increase side ground clearance, a good thing if you get a 4x4 equipped Expedition and plan to take it in places where paved roads don’t go.
You can also alter their operation via the information message center in the instrumentation cluster. They deploy fast, no waiting, and have a kick-back function.

The heavy duty trailer tow package includes the following and is (currently) standard on Limited and King Ranch trims. Optional on XLT and Eddie Bauer.

Heavy duty trailer tow package:
• Heavy duty trailer tow preparation, vehicle comes prepped and ready to tow, right-out-of-the-box
• Heavy duty V-5 rated Class IV weight distributing receiver hitch
• Prewired for electronic trailer brake controller module
• Wiring harness, includes 4 and 7 pin quick connectors
• Heavy duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Heavy duty radiator
• Heavy duty flashers

Note that trailer sway control (TSC) was introduced on 2010 Ford Expeditions, and it is standard equipment. A factory dash mounted trailer brake controller module is not available, yet. But seeing how they are available on pickup trucks and some of the Expedition’s fellow SUV competitors, I suspect it won’t be long before such an option is available.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Did not know they introduced the stow away RB's in 2008. Saw a 2010 on the lot yesterday and noticed they had it. Will keep my eyes open for this. Will also only stick to ones with HD tow package. Thanks for this information. Does the '07 up with the navigation come standard with a backup camera or was this an option. Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
The rear view backup camera was introduced for the 2008 model year and was a stand alone option. You could get the rear view camera without getting the DVD-based voice activated, navigation system with touch display.

The rear view camera system works with the state-of-the-art Gentex auto dimming rear view mirror featuring "picture-in-mirror" technology. When the transmission is placed in R (reverse) a live video feed from the rear of the Expedition (camera is hidden under the Expedition’s rear liftgate appliqué) will display in the left hand corner of the rear view mirror. Rear park assist is also enabled. Keep in mind the screen is somewhat small, but is still very useful. The picture will disappear once the transmission is shifted out of reverse.

In other SUVs people who wanted the rear view camera system would have to pay thousands extra for the Navigation system just to get the backup camera. By using picture-in-mirror technology, you can get the rear view camera system without getting the Navigation system (assuming you didn’t want or need it) Newer Expeditions (if they are equipped with the Nav system) will display the live video feed in the navigation display screen.

You should also note the 2007-2008 Ford Expedition used the 6-speed 6R75 electronically-controlled automatic transmission.
And updated version was introduced for the 2009 model year. The 6-speed 6R80 electronically-controlled automatic transmission. It features more "beefier" internals.

General specifications:
• Smart shift fully electronic shift scheduling with adaptive shift logic
• Mechatronic Transmission Control Unit (TCU) with control software and engine ECU networked
• Dual overdrive gears with push button electronic overdrive lock-out
• Transmission arrangement: longitudinal
• Lepelletier planetary gearset
• Lock-up torque converter
• Manual shift capability
• Turbine speed sensor
• 1st gear ratio: 4.17:1
• 2nd gear ratio: 2.34:1
• 3rd gear ratio: 1.52:1
• 4th gear ratio: 1.14:1
• 5th gear ratio: 0.86:1
• 6th gear ratio: 0.69:1
• Reverse gear ratio: 3.40:1

Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
IQ9
Senior User
I love reading your responses...some much info. Now the question can the 6R80 be put in an 08 without doing anything but "plugging it in"? Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Well, the two transmissions are very similar, and still use the same engine. I would assume the 6R80 would fit. But since I have not done it, I do not know. It may come down to how deep your pockets are.

The 6-speed 6R75 is not a bad transmission, but it does seem to have its own little gremlins. I have not had any issues with mine, so far. It has a Mechatronic unit inside the transmission itself. It will learn your driving style and other information over time. Information it collects is saved in the Mechatronic unit in non-volatile memory.
So if the battery is disconnected, the shift data is not completely lost. The 6R75 will simply revert to its last saved data entry.

The tyranny itself is fairly robust, virtually the same as the 4-speed 4R75 it replaced.
On the shifter there is a small circular button with O/D on it. By pushing that button, the 5th and 6th overdrive gears are disabled. The 6R75 is denied access to them.

The 6-speed 6R80 is the new and current transmission used in the Expedition. It is also used in the new 2009-onward Ford F-150 and its many versions including the SVT Raptor.

It has slightly more robust internals and includes tow/haul mode instead of overdrive lock-out. Tow/haul mode alters the transmissions shift logic for uphill/downhill, towing, hauling, etc. Primarily the transmission will hold gears longer before up shifting. This also helps to keep it from hunting.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Spent the money (all of $350) on the HD Towing Option. Towing a popup with a 6000 pound standard-rated Expedition is easy, but you'll soon want a hybrid or pure TT and the 9000 pound capacity of the HD Tow Option is very nice to have.

-- Chuck

Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 AM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by chuck s
Spent the money (all of $350) on the HD Towing Option. Towing a popup with a 6000 pound standard-rated Expedition is easy, but you'll soon want a hybrid or pure TT and the 9000 pound capacity of the HD Tow Option is very nice to have.

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck. Can you elaborate on what you did to upgrade. The one Expy I am looking at does have the Class III(sufficient for a pop up) and 4 pin (not sufficient). Did you upgrade the reciever to Class IV, 7 pin plug, radiator, tranny and oil coolers? Is the wiring there for a 7 pin and all you need is the plug and hook it up or do you have to run wires front to rear. Did you use OEM or aftermarket. Any input is appreciated and for $350 I could overlook this as a necessity for the time being. tks

Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 PM
2008 Expy El
New User
Talking

I have 3 kids (3,5,8) and we also have a popup camper. We went from a 07 Dodge Grand Caravan to a 08 Expy El XLT, heavy duty tow package. I do miss the sliding doors for the little ones, but the space and towing power of the Expy make it worth it. Besides the gas mileage (expected), I have no complaints with the Expy and never wish I kept the minivan. Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:07 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2008 Expy El
I have 3 kids (3,5,8) and we also have a popup camper. We went from a 07 Dodge Grand Caravan to a 08 Expy El XLT, heavy duty tow package. I do miss the sliding doors for the little ones, but the space and towing power of the Expy make it worth it. Besides the gas mileage (expected), I have no complaints with the Expy and never wish I kept the minivan. Good Luck!
Million dollar question. If you only had 2 kids would you still get an EL? I remember back in 2000 when my wife and I were deciding on a Tahoe/Suburban. She thought the Suburban was too big. I said let's drive it anyways. First thing I had her do was pull into a Lowes parking lot(probably a bad decision in retrospect) and try to park it. She about had a panic attack trying to manuver that beast into a spot with cars on each side. Needless to say be bought the Tahoe which she loved.

I would like the EL only for the extra room and longer wheelbase should we ever upgrade to a TT. However, I am scared it will be too big for her just like the Suburban and again a 1 hour test drive will not allow enough time to formalize a size opinion. thanks for your input

Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
I want an EL, or maybe a Navi L, because we have 3 kids.

We'll use it mostly as a long-distance vacation bus and also as something we can fit all of us plus Grammy in for local day trips.

If we had 2 kids I think I'd opt for the standard version because the way-back seat wouldn't get used nearly as much and it would be folded come vacation time.

But with 3 kids it will be occupied by somebody, so we'll appreciate the longer doors to get into the 3rd seat and the extra space behind it.

If you're ordering new, I think the Trailer Tow package is a now brainer. If you're buying used I don't think it's a deal killer.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from a Minivan to an Expedition and have regrets