Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Changing 12v outlets to Ignition-Switched?

Anyone have a method (hopefully quick and easy) of changing the 12v outlets in the passenger compartment from On all the time to ignition controlled?

It's a PITA to have to unplug my GPS and microwave radio receivers all the time, but if I don't the battery voltage drops very low over the weekend and can require a jump start.

Any assistance appreciated! (I have the same problem in my Explorer, but we'll start here.)

-- Chuck
Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior User

hjsimpson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe adding an on/off switch to the outlet, but on the other hand if your gonna take it apart to add the switch might as well convert them to ignition switched.

sorry.
Quote:
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Senior User

Mark_A. is starting off with a positive reputation.
find a key on power under the dash and run a relay to the outlets u want to be key on ... its not easy but if u really want it that bad its possible lol ... or u could get a battery tender those things work great just gotta remember to plug it in
Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Elder User

I've got a Priority Start on both vehicles so the vehicles always start as this device cuts out the battery when the voltage gets too low. Still looking for a spot on the harness or fuse box to transfer the outlet leads.

-- Chuck
Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Senior User

nfntruth is starting off with a positive reputation.
The solution I did in my 06 explorer, my 07 expedition and now my 2010 f150, I bought one of those 3 outlet kits, and hardwired it with an add-a-fuse to a ignition controlled fuse spot. I mounted the outlets inside the center console with velcro, that allows you to run the various power cords under the console, out of sight, out of mind. Drill a hole in the inside bottom back wall big enough to feed the cigarette lighter adapter through. Just use a volt meter to figure out which fuses are on only when the ignition is on. I believe I used the power windows fuse? Works like a champ. I also had a battery buddy. It disconnects the battery if volts drops below 12.5V or so. Push the brake pedal and it reconnects. Problem with that is you lose your memory settings on radio and so on. Boooooo, I cannot believe that Ford still has not fixed this problem, or at least allow it to be user changeable via the system setup.
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/55407.png
Old 09-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Senior User

Just did the same in my new 06 F250 Lariat. Gets kind of tiring doing the same mod over and over and over....
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Elder User

Darn!

I'm still hoping for that post that says something like "Move the wire from terminal X to terminal Y."

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Darn!

I'm still hoping for that post that says something like "Move the wire from terminal X to terminal Y."

-- Chuck
Hmmm, nope, not that I know of, I still think Ford should offer it as an option via the system controls menu.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Elder User

No one has the wiring diagram? I'd think the outlets could be moved to another point in the fuse/relay block. I'm thinking of moving the outlets to the Trailer Battery Charge connector -- if I knew where the outlet and charge connector were.

Well at least it's not as bad as my olde classic '58 Alfa Romeo Spyder that I had in college! In that car the tube type radio was wired straight to the battery for some reason. Turn the radio down to hear something and it's dead within minutes after shutting the engine down. I taught my girl friends how to bump start too many times. No, I pushed, they worked the clutch! Was easy to fix once I figured out what was causing it.

My Expedition and Explorer can usually get thru two days before the Priority Start shuts the system down.

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post

My Expedition and Explorer can usually get thru two days before the Priority Start shuts the system down.

-- Chuck
A deep cycle Optima helps, thats what I have in the trucks except the F250, 500 bucks for two batteries is a little much for the tow rig.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator

Tags
12v, 2010, auto, convert, expedition, f150, find, ford, fuse, ignition, outlet, outlets, power, switched, turn