Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Elder User

Bowtie_Schmowtie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FE clutch kits and pilot bushing- recommendations?

For you FEs who have replaced your clutches, which kit/ manufacturer did you go with? I have about $150 to work with, and I will be using it for normal around town and highway use- not drag racing, pulling a 10000 pound trailer, or anyting like that.

And what kind of pilot bushing do you recommend- a solid bronze oil-lite bushing or a roller/ ball bearing? Many of the kits I have seen come with a roller bearing.

'78 John "Icepick"...'73 F100 Custom "Eddie" 360 2V, 3 in the floor...'90 F150 XLT Lariat "Bruce" 4.9 EFI, 5 in the floor
North Carolina Chapter Member
Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
Can't beat ZOOM kits, great quality and price. And Roller Bearings are your best friend.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Elder User

Bowtie_Schmowtie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OK, I've been looking and it appears that I am down to two choices:

Zoom MU2030-1 diaphragm style pressure plate, 1.163" input shaft

OR

Zoom MU7350-1 Long style pressure plate, 1.162" input shaft

I know that the diaphragm style is supposed to be smoother and improve driveability, but the Long style is what was originally in the truck. Is there a big difference in clamp load between these two styles, and does the .001" difference in input shaft diameter make a difference?

Oh, and where would you go to get a new clutch return spring and release fork?

I'll get a roller pilot bearing separately.

'78 John "Icepick"...'73 F100 Custom "Eddie" 360 2V, 3 in the floor...'90 F150 XLT Lariat "Bruce" 4.9 EFI, 5 in the floor
North Carolina Chapter Member
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
For a daily driver with no heavy towing or drag racing the long style (or fingered) is the preferable one.

The diaphram is harder grabbing at the expense of your leg strength. Although ZOOM isn't considered that bad on the leg compared to McLeod or Hays. Centerforce is the dual diaphram that requires Arnold legs.

Not sure why they are listing slightly different input shaft diameters.

So, with that said, if the truck is a daily grinder with no forseeable future of towing or racing... long style

If engine upgrades, towing/ hauling or racing is in the future, might as well pay $10 more for the diaphram

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM

joshjones.thewelder
Oh...

NAPA should have clutch springs, not sure where to get a fork other than either the Junkyard or maybe NOVAK Transmissions.. Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

Josh

Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
390, 428, bearing, bronze, bushing, clutch, clutches, fe, ford, mu20301, mu73501, pilot, roller, solid, zoom