6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

All 6.4 Radiators are now covered for 5yr/100000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Alot of people still travel with them anyway. I have not heard of anyone being stranding because of the slow leak.

Get some of Ford gold coolant/Napa equivient and take it with you.

How big is the leak? Just a little moisture or a puddle?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
BIGSKI15
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it sits overnight there will be a 4" diameter puddle under the truck. I don't feel comfortable driving 800 miles knowing that the leak could potentially become worse leaving me stranded. I don't want to take the chance with my 3 year old and 11 month old kid in the car.

We are both teachers so we're flexible on when we leave for vacation.

If ford wont cover the rad, assuming the thermostat isn't damaged, im hoping the dealership will make it right for me.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
just an fyi a radiator installed is right around $1000-1100 iirc.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
With a 4" puddle I would not travel either. That is the worst I think anyone has ever reported.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
BIGSKI15
New User
From what i've been researching, that seems to be the going rate. However, i just bought this truck the first week of June, so i'm hoping the dealer will do something for me. I will find out tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by cheezit
just an fyi a radiator installed is right around $1000-1100 iirc.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by BIGSKI15
From what i've been researching, that seems to be the going rate. However, i just bought this truck the first week of June, so i'm hoping the dealer will do something for me. I will find out tomorrow morning.

Your mileage is still within the coverage period, but you might be out of warranty based on time. Your dealer should have given you this info when you bought the truck but if not, ask to see it. If the standard recalls and whatnot have bee done, and they want you to foot the bill, you might want to demand the thermostats be tested first. If they have failed then those and the radiator should be on Fords dime. If they try to weasel out of testing the stats based on the verbage of the TSB stating that it is for repeat problems, you might want to demand they be tested anyway, and foot the bill for it. The risk is the stats test good and now you owe for that AND the radiator. Tough call.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM
lizziebee
New User
6.4 Radiators

I was just told that the TSB 09-23-1 has been superseded and is no longer in effect. Can anyone verify that? I was told it was superseded by the letter that requires us to have our PCM updated.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
lizziebee
New User
Originally Posted by jboczar
For anyone that doesn't know Ford is now covering all 6.4 radiators for 5 years or 100000 miles which ever comes first. Per TSB 09-23-1 concerning repeat radiators leaks due to possible hyper extended thermostats. However, even if they don't replace the thermostats the radiators are still covered under this tsb because they use the thermostat basic part number as the part when submitting it for a warranty claim. And thermostats on these engines are covered by the diesel powertrain warranty. So for anyone who is trying to be boned by a dealer after 3/36 make sure to tell them to check this tsb. I have already fixed a couple this way.
I was just told that this TSB has been superseded and is no longer in effect. Is this true?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

TSB
11-6-6 6.4L - RADIATOR LEAKING COOLANT

Publication Date: June 3, 2011

FORD: 2008-2010 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 11-1-7 to update the Issue Statement, Service Procedure, Part List and Service Labor Time Standards.

ISSUE:
Some F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.4L engine may exhibit an external coolant leak from the radiator. Slow leaks at cooling system hoses/connections can lead to low coolant levels. Excessive hot and cold cycling associated with low coolant levels can cause stress within the radiator tubes, possibly resulting in cracks in the tubes.

ACTION:
Follow service procedure steps to repair this concern.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Thermostat inspection is no longer required because IDS release 71.04 and later added a cooling system monitor.

Inspect for the cooling system venturi tee being installed and verify proper orientation. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03, Degas Bottle - 6.4L Diesel.
Degas bottle port inspection and repair:
Dual-port design requires the degas bottle to be replaced with the single-port design and a new degas bottle cap. (Figure 1) Proceed to Step 3.

Figure 1 - Article 11-6-6

Single-port design requires inspection of the degas bottle cap sealing surface for nicks and/or cracks. If present, replace the degas bottle and degas bottle cap. Proceed to Step 3.
Coolant leak inspection and repair:
Visually inspect all cooling system hoses/connections for evidence of coolant loss such as white coolant residue (dried coolant) or liquid coolant and repair as necessary. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 11-6-6

If a leak is found at a radiator hose O-ring seal, the radiator hose should be replaced. The upper and lower radiator hoses have been updated with a dual O-ring seal design for improved sealing.
Replace the radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03.
Be sure to remove the engine coolant block plugs from both sides of the engine to drain the coolant from the engine block.
Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and new Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Do not reuse coolant that was drained from the cooling system.
Utilize the Rotunda Heavy Duty Airlift II radiator refiller tool (UVU550500INT) or equivalent when filling the cooling system. Filling without use of the Heavy Duty Airlift II radiator refiller tool may leave excessive air in the system

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-8009-B Radiator
9C3Z-8A080-AA Degas bottle
9C3Z-8101-B Cap- Degas bottle
AC3Z-8260-A Upper Radiator hose
AC3Z-8286-A Lower radiator hose
8C3Z-8B379-B Venturi Tee
VC-7-B Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110606A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Inspect The Cooling System, Correct Or Install Venturi Tee, Replace The Radiator, Includes Time To Drain And Fill The Cooling System (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.8 Hrs.
110606B 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Inspect The Cooling System, Correct Or Install The Venturi Tee, Replace The Degas Bottle And Cap If Necessary, Replace The Radiator, Includes Time To Drain And Fill The Cooling System (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.2 Hrs.
110606C 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Inspect The Cooling System, Correct Or Install Venturi Tee, Replace The Upper And Lower Radiator Hoses, Replace The Radiator, Includes Time To Drain And Fill The Cooling System (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.9 Hrs.
110606D 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Inspect The Cooling System, Correct Or Install The Venturi Tee, Replace The Degas Bottle And Cap If Necessary, Replace The Upper And Lower Radiator Hoses, Replace The Radiator, Includes Time To Drain And Fill The Cooling System (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.3 Hrs.
MT110606 For Any Additional Cooling System Repairs Use SLTS Operations If Available Or Actual Time Actual Time

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8009 (Operations A or B) 42
8590 (Operations C or D) 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

if AC3Z-8286-b other lower hose is leaking its may not be covered. also note the wording the hose's in question would have to be leaking at the radiator not the engine

Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
rdriven
New User
Cool 2008 F350 37000 miles radiator

Well I guess I am in the same boat as everyone else in here but even though I am not typically a person who gets upset easily over repairs this one has me absolutely P.O.'d, took my 08 F350 in today for Oil/filter change a chirping sound which was a defective idler or something and a tire rotation..... low and behold I get the call my radiator is leaking and it isn't covered under warranty. I have been in the customer service industry my entire life and worked in a dealership for years and have always been able to help my customers out when it is a on the line warranty problem but I am getting no help from Ford or my dealer. I have 37,200 miles on this truck and only reason for about 500 of them is they couldn't get my truck in last week but even so a whopping 1200 miles over warranty and they are doing nothing for me but sticking me with a $1400 bill. I called Ford Customer service and you might as well call Dell customer service in Pakistan as they are not any help just wasted a hour of my day being on hold. I cannot believe that a dealership would not be able to go to bat for you with there service rep and get something covered when warranty period is this close.... I don't know I have owned fords all my life and bought this 08 with the understanding they were good but now I am not sure what to think I have to get it replaced either way but man I know why people do not have any loyalty to there local dealerships anymore but I guess the biggest thing I cannot figure out is if it is the dealership or if it is Ford.

Oh well I know this isn't going to fix my problem but man I am buying another truck in about 6-9 mos and probably won't be another Ford I hate to say it...

Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by driven
Well I guess I am in the same boat as everyone else in here but even though I am not typically a person who gets upset easily over repairs this one has me absolutely P.O.'d, took my 08 F350 in today for Oil/filter change a chirping sound which was a defective idler or something and a tire rotation..... low and behold I get the call my radiator is leaking and it isn't covered under warranty. I have been in the customer service industry my entire life and worked in a dealership for years and have always been able to help my customers out when it is a on the line warranty problem but I am getting no help from Ford or my dealer. I have 37,200 miles on this truck and only reason for about 500 of them is they couldn't get my truck in last week but even so a whopping 1200 miles over warranty and they are doing nothing for me but sticking me with a $1400 bill. I called Ford Customer service and you might as well call Dell customer service in Pakistan as they are not any help just wasted a hour of my day being on hold. I cannot believe that a dealership would not be able to go to bat for you with there service rep and get something covered when warranty period is this close.... I don't know I have owned fords all my life and bought this 08 with the understanding they were good but now I am not sure what to think I have to get it replaced either way but man I know why people do not have any loyalty to there local dealerships anymore but I guess the biggest thing I cannot figure out is if it is the dealership or if it is Ford.

Oh well I know this isn't going to fix my problem but man I am buying another truck in about 6-9 mos and probably won't be another Ford I hate to say it...

Unfortunitly you and other people have experienced repairs shortly after their warranties have expired. Where do you draw the line as far as how many miles they should honor warranty work after it has expired? Before you buy your next GM, Ram, Toyota, or Nissan Ask the dealer how long after their warranty has expired will they repair the vehicle for free.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM
rdriven
New User
It isn't a how long after it is how hard the dealer is going to fight for you. I ran a Yamaha Dealership for many years and even when a problem came in that may be a little on the questionable side I would make the effort to go to Yamaha and try to get either it all covered or a portion and when you explain the situation they were always good about it. Ford has done nothing for me on this except put me on the phone with some girl who really gives 0 *****s about me and just wants to get done with her day. I would have been fine with 40,000 miles and no other reports of these problems but when I look at the # of problems and it happens over and over again no fix being made I say they need to get there act together and take care of someone who spends $60k on a truck.

If not please bring on the chinese imports I know they will break down but at least we won't pay much for them

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Great, so I was just on the road, in Texas and had a diesel repair shop do my thermostats... When they pulled mine out one was not even seated in the housing and it had some rubber missing from the edge of it...

Old 10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
emStyron
Freshman User
Sold my '04 PSD and bought my '08 last month. Last week started seeing a wet spot under the truck. Once I finished the warranty transfer I called in last week and got an appointment to take it in yesterday. On Sunday the wet spot on asphalt went to 10" across. On the way to dealership yesterday I got a CEL code and the "wrench" and this morning they call and say both upper and lower radiator hoses need to be replaced.

They need to replace those (not under warranty b/c it's the cooling system for around $480) so they can run some more tests. They think the two warnings are related to the leak, the stuttering with white smoke, and the intermittant "valve knock" I thought I had they think could actually be the injectors.

Good times!! Got rid of my '04 6.0 to get something a little newer with less problems and some warranty coverage, and the fun continues.

Quick Reply: All 6.4 Radiators are now covered for 5yr/100000 miles