6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

All 6.4 Radiators are now covered for 5yr/100000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:34 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAZY 001:

Alas, I feel I have the bad luck--FIRST; although I hope NOT! I can vividly remember my 2003 6.0 Excursion with 35,000 miles as the turbo blades ground into the casing and each time I started it there was an excruciating sound, similar to the "DEATH RATTLE".

Then after trading, I took the green F - 350. A good ugly truck with a cover that took three guys to remove, as at the time I didn't realize how high the bed was on a F-350. And fighting with NHTSA or whatever it was called as FORD would not fix my TBC as it only gave minimal brakes upon hooking up, so I never knew if the brakes worked until the truck was going 15 mph. The NHTSA did pay for a new controller as FORD would not. And putting on shocks to solve the "death wobble" as my wife would not ride in the truck after a few episodes.

I almost cried when I was told my beautiful 2008 dark copper F-350 was diagnosed with a bad radiator. And then, all the oil on my floor and I found out the cab was coming off and the engine to be removed. BLAH! And then more oil. Oh, and inbetween a high pressure tranny line blew and another tow job to the garage.

Only way to end this is two fold. My 2001 Excursion was one awesome white vehicle with a V-10 but NOT 4 x 4 although white in color.

SO, LET ME SAY, this HOLIDAY season, "DEAR SANTA", please leave the problems on the "WHITE KNIGHT - 2011 F - 250 for at least three years. I am not against buying tires, and SANTA, even though my 2011 needs new wiper blades, I cannot call that a problem!

Rich

Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
Back to radiators: Does anyone have pics of the pre and post radiator hose design? My truck is a 12-09 build and wonder if it squeaked by with the new design. Unfortunately, I don't know what to look for.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Who the hell added a CHEBBIE to my post?

Certainly not me!

Rich

Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Who the hell added a CHEBBIE to my post?

Certainly not me!

Rich
Santa's Elves.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Now I get it. I must have deleted my cache. I did it again today as I have been experiencing some problems. This time I got a TOYOTA post. Wow, how could you not be signed in and not a supporter. I could not take all those advertisments.

I love it when I get an answer to my own dumb question.

Thx, Rich ...

Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Cody88
New User
As a probable cap on this thread, let me extend a big thanks for all the info on the radiator/thermostat situation. I bought a '08 F350 in early December '10 with 41k mi. 2 weeks later it developed the famous leak. I'll never know if the dealer would have admitted to the coverage if I hadn't proven my awareness of it. I got it all from here so, thanks again!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
sportsfreaked
Junior User
I am new to the Diesel world as well and I have been on here for a little over a month. The folks and the knowledge they have is just fantastic. I have learned so much it is amazing.

Welcome aboard and hope you stick around. Take care and good luck with the truck!!

ED

Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
udloose
New User
I am about to have an anurizum....I took my '08 6.4 in last monday for coolant loss...Was called tuesday and told that my radiator is cracked and would not be covered and would be 1400.00.

I had no idea that this was a common problem but now I do...

Mine is a little different though...I lose a ton of coolant but NONE to ground...What is your thoughts on this?

thanks in advance....

BTW how in the heck can Ford expect us to pay for a bandaid...It would be different if you were paying for a fix but in my opinion it outta be on Ford till they remedy the problem...

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Did you read this whole thread? I'm going from memory which can be dangerous at my age but I think back a ways on this thread the real problem is identified as thermostats which fail and then cause the rad to fail. under those circumstances the rad is covered as are the stats. If it's not on this thread look at other threads on this subject, it's on here somewhere. May be a TSB. It's worth looking up and going back to the dealer with it, did they check the stats? Also, what do you mean the coolant is not on the ground, where is it?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
FivePointo
Senior User
I actually went to a local rad shop and had them make me an all aluminum radiator greater cooling plus it'll last forever, I hope.
Ford wanted to charge me 1500 for mine. This is the 4th radiator mine has had. How can Ford not acknowledge a problem.
I believe if you aren't seeing coolant on the ground, it may be being lost in the egr system.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
udloose
New User
I took the TSB about the thermastats with me today and was told the computer didnt show a code stating that they were bad (Didnt know that thermastats were computer monitered).

What I mean bye it isnt on the ground is exactly what it sounds like...It loses coolant but the coolant does not lay in a puddle under the truck instead it is disposed of thru the exhaust as occasoinally I have huge plumes of white smoke.

What I cannot wrap my hands around is that the powertrain warrenty is 5/100K but the radiator is not covered...but if you have a damaged radiator (which are damaged because a flaw in engineering on Fords part) you can do TREMENDOUS damage to the powertrain...You think that fixing this cooling issue would be ALOT cheaper than a set of Rods or whatever is damaged because of overheating.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
guys I didnt read the rest of the thread but that tsb has been changed and radiators are no longer covered if the t-stats are not hyper extended. they may have other issues but that is the ONLY reason ford will warranty one now.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey cheezit, how do you guys test the t-stats? Will there be a code if they are not functioning properly? Im old school and thought the only way to test a t-stat was to throw it in hot water and see if it opens. LOL

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
udloose
New User
subscribing

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
many of the failed ones will have a dtc of p0128. we can also drive them and moniter for excessive thermo cyclinging. another sign would be ect below 170*
frm there ya its pull them out and measure the t-stats total length. no real need for hot water for this one.

Quick Reply: All 6.4 Radiators are now covered for 5yr/100000 miles