Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
New User

joshgolm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now I've got a radiator leak

I just bought my 2008 F350 last month and only have 39,000 miles on it when it sprung a leak. I took it to my dealer in Bradenton Florida with a copy of the TSB. I'm glad i did because they had never heard of this problem. 5 hours after I dropped it off, at my appointment time, they called to tell me my radiator was leaking. Gee what gave it away, could it have been the huge puddle of radiator fluid?!?!? They told me that Ford wouldn't replace it because the computer told them there were no codes showing.
My question is this, how can a computer code tell them if the thermastat is warped or bad without even taking a look at the actual thermastat? How do they relate the radiator to the thermastat?

Josh
Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
what they need to do it take it for a drive with the computer on it. checking the temps of the oil vs coolant. Anything over about 15 deg spread indicated hyperextended thermostats...which would be the cause of the raditor failure.

Other cause would be the venturi-T either not completed or installed wrong.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 PM
New User

joshgolm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Repair cost

Oh yeah, they want $1500 for the repair.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Senior User

jboczar has a good reputation on FTE.jboczar has a good reputation on FTE.
Josh, if you look at some of my previous posts you will see where they relate thermostats to radiators. Ford has actually updated the TSB again having technicians remove the thermostats and measuring to see if they are hyper-extended. Hyper-extended thermostat which is usually the high flow one causes the other thermostat to ossicilate and cause cavitation which can lead to radiator failure. Some have suggested it is the rigid structure of the front frame that is causing it, either way I believe it's funny that they all leak in the same place.

Now since you just bought the truck, if you bought if from a Ford dealer then usually they provide some sort of 90 day warranty in which case they should be paying for it. If not and they are unwilling to warranty the repair then you should know the time for the repair is about 3.5 from the book which at todays rates is $350 plus the radiator and coolant which is somewhere around $800-900. So at best they are several hundred dollars off. Someone else on here said some dealer quoted them 7.0 hrs for a radiator. 7 hours by Fords standards is more than enough time to remove and reinstall a cab on one of these trucks!

If the thermostat is hyper-extended then the radiator and thermostats are covered by the warranty. Tell them to look at TSB 10-17-9
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Senior User

Jessef250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a labor opp just for thermosats.. And 5/100k does not, repeat DOES NOT cover radiators. Rather it be your first or fifth!.. If you hav a new style upper rad hose and thermostats has been replaced, then cost of radiator is on you.. Unless a service manager squeezes it by. And to the fellow above that had the mileage at 99,000, well you are correct for the thermostats, but NO RADIATOR. sorry to hurt anybodys feelings but thats just the way it is!...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Junior User

tylem28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im at the dealer now and showed them the orginal TSB 09-23-1 and it has now been superseated to 10-17-9 which will only cover a radiator if the thermostat is hyper extented. They of course said it wasnt so now I have a nice little repair bill. Thought I would share
Old 12-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior User

RoadJunkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylem28 View Post
Im at the dealer now and showed them the orginal TSB 09-23-1 and it has now been superseated to 10-17-9 which will only cover a radiator if the thermostat is hyper extented. They of course said it wasnt so now I have a nice little repair bill. Thought I would share
This post is consistent with my research. I called Ford Customer Care and specifically asked if I could have my thermostat evaluated under the TSB and they indicated no. However, if a failed part within the drive train (and within the 5/100K), e.g. the thermostat, caused additional parts to fail, e.g. the radiator, then Ford would replace that additional part. If I insisted on testing the thermostat, then it would be on my nickle. I don't know how much that would cost.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Posting Guru

rmosso1 has a good reputation on FTE.rmosso1 has a good reputation on FTE.
This has been discussed on this forum several months ago, and the conclusions were the same. The radiator is 3yr/36kmiles unless you can get BILL FORD to say differently!

One of the reasons I just traded in my 2008 on a 2011.
2008 F-350, 6.4, KR, long bed, 4x4 (LEAN, MEAN & BEAUTIFUL)
2011 F-250 6.7, KR, LB, 4x4, TIGHT WHITE KNIGHT w 20" 3.55 MIGHT
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmosso1 View Post
This has been discussed on this forum several months ago, and the conclusions were the same. The radiator is 3yr/36kmiles unless you can get BILL FORD to say differently!

It is getting lonely here....

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

How good was the deal?

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Posting Guru

rmosso1 has a good reputation on FTE.rmosso1 has a good reputation on FTE.
StanleyZ:

I tried my local dealer, and two dealers in Atlanta. Truthfully, I wanted to replace my 2008 with another F-350, but the more I thought about it, I decided to cut back to a F-250, as I rarely pull my Bob Cat which will be close on GVWR, and I was sick of 8 to 10 mpg.

I have another place in PA. Long story short, I called the local dealer in my old home town of Latrobe and bot the 2011 KR, pretty much loaded. The MSRP on the F-250 was $65,000. I gave them $20,000. and my truck which, in my mind, meant I got $45,000. for my truck, discounts and rebates.

Figuring another way I concluded that my F-350 cost me about $550./month over 36 months.

I had the bed plate replaced and also the radiator on the F-350; and, I still had an oil leak.

I think it has been said here before, you can either justify a change or not, just depends on what you want, and I was sick and tired of putting cardboard down in my garage and then sprinkling floor dry.

ONE problem which really PO'd me. IN GEORGIA, if you buy out of STATE, you have to pay sales tax on the REBATES, which really sucks. I learned a while back that you also need to get the paperwork done in GA before 30 days or face a $500.00 fine. DID THAT on my 2005 as the dealer sat on the paperwork.

I am now in the process of putting on the ginger bread. Bot the six mudflaps (HUSKY) for $165. installed. Ordered the "SUPER DUTY" billet letters for rear; and shopping for the hard tonneau cover. I don't want another cap. Also, ordered a billet grille insert for the lower grille after removing the front license plate holder.

From PA to GA I got 16.5 mpg with about 1,800 pounds in cargo, no tow. I never saw 16.5 on my 2008. 2011 has a 37.5 fuel tank with long bed.

Trust me, do it, you will be HAPPIER!
2008 F-350, 6.4, KR, long bed, 4x4 (LEAN, MEAN & BEAUTIFUL)
2011 F-250 6.7, KR, LB, 4x4, TIGHT WHITE KNIGHT w 20" 3.55 MIGHT
Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Interesting take on things there rmosso1. I suppose if I were having issues then that would be the route to go. Don't blame you at all.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
StanleyZ:

I tried my local dealer, and two dealers in Atlanta. Truthfully, I wanted to replace my 2008 with another F-350, but the more I thought about it, I decided to cut back to a F-250, as I rarely pull my Bob Cat which will be close on GVWR, and I was sick of 8 to 10 mpg.

I have another place in PA. Long story short, I called the local dealer in my old home town of Latrobe and bot the 2011 KR, pretty much loaded. The MSRP on the F-250 was $65,000. I gave them $20,000. and my truck which, in my mind, meant I got $45,000. for my truck, discounts and rebates.

Figuring another way I concluded that my F-350 cost me about $550./month over 36 months.

I had the bed plate replaced and also the radiator on the F-350; and, I still had an oil leak.

I think it has been said here before, you can either justify a change or not, just depends on what you want, and I was sick and tired of putting cardboard down in my garage and then sprinkling floor dry.

ONE problem which really PO'd me. IN GEORGIA, if you buy out of STATE, you have to pay sales tax on the REBATES, which really sucks. I learned a while back that you also need to get the paperwork done in GA before 30 days or face a $500.00 fine. DID THAT on my 2005 as the dealer sat on the paperwork.

I am now in the process of putting on the ginger bread. Bot the six mudflaps (HUSKY) for $165. installed. Ordered the "SUPER DUTY" billet letters for rear; and shopping for the hard tonneau cover. I don't want another cap. Also, ordered a billet grille insert for the lower grille after removing the front license plate holder.

From PA to GA I got 16.5 mpg with about 1,800 pounds in cargo, no tow. I never saw 16.5 on my 2008. 2011 has a 37.5 fuel tank with long bed.

Trust me, do it, you will be HAPPIER!

Thanks. I'm in ATL too, sharpsburg, just off 85 about 25 miles south of the big airport. That's just about where I figured I could trade $20K. Not sure I want to. I've not had any real trouble with my 08. Replaced the CAC that's all. But I keep reading the horror stories you guys have and I go over on the 2011 site and there is not one problem on there yet. So, I'm thinking maybe Ford hit it out of the park this time. You sure got me thinking, thanks for the info.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.

Last edited by Tom; 12-11-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyZ View Post
I've not had any real trouble with my 08. Replaced the CAC that's all. But I keep reading the horror stories you guys have and I go over on the 2011 site and there is not one problem on there yet. So, I'm thinking maybe Ford hit it out of the park this time. You sure got me thinking, thanks for the info.
At the risk of de-railing this thread further...

This is the reason I opted for the 2011 instead of the 2010.

Few reports of problems, great fuel economy, and more power. It wasn't that I was dissatisfied with my 6.4L, more so that I wanted to be satisfied 5 years down the road. If these 6.7L trucks are as good as they appear to be I was afraid that the 6.4L trucks would depreciate much faster, making it harder to trade if I did get the 2010 as a replacement.

I'm just waiting for the first 2011 horror story. Hard to find even one substantiated report of engine failure, but I'm sure it's going to happen to someone eventually. I'm curious to read about what would cause it!

Wait...with my luck it would happen to me...

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud ofsdetweil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
I'm just waiting for the first 2011 horror story. Hard to find even one substantiated report of engine failure, but I'm sure it's going to happen to someone eventually. I'm curious to read about what would cause it!

Wait...with my luck it would happen to me...

and everyone has to keep in mind that ONE failure is a LOT different than 100 similar ones..

so I don't care about 1.. that will happen.. I am watching for 100 or more of the same type... based on current results about 3/4 of a year, with NONE, I think I will be waiting a long time.

Sam

1955 F100 460/c6, 3.55ls - 436 hp, 489 tq
2012 F350 4x4, DRW, 3.73ls, CC, LB, 400 hp, 800 tq
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB 5th wheel. 40', 15,500gvwr
Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM