Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oil & Lubrication NO MLM Dealers, Wholesale Buyers Or Retailers allowed (except sponsors)
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Elder User

mprice is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use the 15 minutes it takes for the draining oil to slow to a drip to give everything else a good visual inspection. The ball joints and tie rods get a good yank. The hoses get squeezed. The fluids get checked for level and condition. The tires treads are eye balled and the pressure checked and adjusted. No quick lube place is going to do all this and even if they did it's not the same as me having my own mental log of how the truck is doing. I also know for sure that the right amount of the right oil weight and brand went in the top and the right brand and type of filter was put on. You can double check to make sure the filter and plug are tight enough but I doubt any of us could reliably tell 5w20 from 10w30 just from pulling the dipstick.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Senior User

thefordlane is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well i come from a farm and i know it doesnt take long to change the oil, but on these newer model cars they are a major pain in the ***. Like my moms has a focus and my sister has a mazda and we take those into town. I come from a small town(like less than 300) and i know all of the mechanics at the local farmers union. The only reason we take them in is because they can put them right on the lift, and they let me hang out in the shop and i watch over them, and get to check eveything out on the cars that i would normally check. But i dont know if i could take one of my cars to one of those big chains, iv heard lots of nasty stories. But in my opinion id rather take them in so i dont have to crawl underneath them, cus everyone knows how much fun that is.

Lane

1978 Ford F-150 300 I6(79,000) 4 speed 4wd custom cab
2001 Ford Ranger 4.0l V6(101,000) auto 4wd stepside XLT
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyways"
"The hardest tumble one can make is to fall over their own lie"
Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
On my Ram......
Sorry to hear about that.

Yes, I am just kidding!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
New User

bogeyrider63 is starting off with a positive reputation.
change at home, i can do it faster on my truck than our cars. since i don't have to use a jack with the truck, just slide right under it. only takes about 15 mins. save yourself some money and like doing the things i can on the truck.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Elder User

brd7666 has a very good reputation on FTE.brd7666 has a very good reputation on FTE.brd7666 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I save the coupons I get in the mail for oil changes. If I can get my oil changed for less then 30 bucks, I take it in. If I do it myself, maybe it's a little cheaper, but then I have to dispose of the old oil.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Elder User

tkd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tkd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've read several accounts of major chain places making major engine damaging mistakes.

My own personal story from the one time I started to take my current vehicle to the dealership for an oil change. I have always changed my own, but in this case, have to drop the skid plate, use 5 different sockets, mess with a cartridge type filter and to top it off, the drain plug is at the bottom of a vertically stacked oil pan so the oil comes out under pressure and splatters everywhere. In the summer it takes me a legitimate 1:45 to change the oil including clean up. In the winter, it's -20F, so no way to even think about doing it yourself.

Anyway, I pull up to the dealership (that is supposed to be well thought of) and watch the 19(ish) year old changing oil on a vehicle the same model as mine. To put the skid plate on, he has a cordless drill with a socket on it and sticks the bolt in the socket and rams it into the hole until the threads bite. I watched the bolt spin for a good 8-10 seconds before it started to take.

I drove off.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you could make good use of the new "N" series Fumoto valve to dran your oil pan. It has a nipple on it, so you can attach a hose to direct the draining oil as you like.
FUMOTO ENGINEERING

Summit Racing, a site sponsor offers well made & reasonably priced remote oil filter mounts.

SO, it seems to me, with those two accessories, you might be able to ease some of your oil & filter changing aggravations.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Elder User

tkd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tkd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That would help Paw Paw, but as of yet, I haven't found those parts for my truck. It's probably out there.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Postmaster

MexicanScaper987 is a splendid one to beholdMexicanScaper987 is a splendid one to beholdMexicanScaper987 is a splendid one to beholdMexicanScaper987 is a splendid one to beholdMexicanScaper987 is a splendid one to beholdMexicanScaper987 is a splendid one to behold
Joe Yarmel
After I purchased my 05 Dodge ram 3500 Cummins diesel, I took it back to the selling dealership for the "free first oil change service." Took close to 2 hours for the service to be completed despite making an appointment ahead of time.
When I got back into the truck, first thing I did was pop the hood and check things out. There was greasy finger prints all over the chrome grill and oil smeared on the valve cover. Oil had dripped from the oil filter on to some of the lower radiator hoses as well and was not cleaned-up either.
I went back inside and told the service writer what was going on. He came out and looked at the truck. He was embarrassed to say the least. He offered to have it cleaned up. The ended up washing and "detailing" the truck as well. They offered another free oil change service but I turned them down. I did it myself from then on as I have done with my other Fords. When my new truck is ready, It will e getting done by me. I will do my best to keep it out of a shop as long as possible! JMO
Old 10-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Freshman User

mmpg33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mmpg33 mmpg33
Changing the oil at home isn't much cheaper than an shop but you do get the peace of mind that you did it but you many have to get dirty. Eventually I would like to have a rack of drums with each cars motor oil in it and buy it in bulk so its even cheaper to do at home. may be unreasonable but i think it would be nice to have the gun that measures how much oil you need and then shuts off. But then I would need a bigger garage to store the various drums. AZ has been taking my 5 gal buckets of oil. just need to find a place to take filters...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Posting Guru

shotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpg33 View Post
Changing the oil at home isn't much cheaper than an shop
I haven't found anyplace that will change my oil with 7 quarts of MC 5w20 syn blend and a MC FL820S filter for $20.88.

Have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
7 quarts MC 5w20: = $11.95 (5 QT jug) + 2/5 x ($11.95) = $16.73
FL820S = $4.15

Total: $20.88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
Walmart. This is syn blend.

Click the image to open in full size.

My fuel mileage: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/shotgun/f150
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Sounds like you could make good use of the new "N" series Fumoto valve to dran your oil pan. It has a nipple on it, so you can attach a hose to direct the draining oil as you like.
FUMOTO ENGINEERING

Summit Racing, a site sponsor offers well made & reasonably priced remote oil filter mounts.

SO, it seems to me, with those two accessories, you might be able to ease some of your oil & filter changing aggravations.
Hey PawPaw and TLD---here's something else to consider for mess-free oil changes: Quick Changers @ Unique Truck Equipment Inc I have these installed on two E250's--since I change oil myself in a sloped driveway draining the pan has been a messy propostion in the past. These Quick Change fittings solve the potential for a mess but eliminate all wear to the oil pan plug threads as well.

What I like about these is all draining oil can be directed to the catch pan within a tube so no spillage or wind catching the stream and decorating the driveway or underside of my vehicles. Plug it in to drain the pan then forget it until its completely empty, remove the hose and no drips, no messes.

I'm contemplating adding an oil system pre-oiler which while not complicated will require one additional small step when changing oil---not a task I'd trust to anyone but myself. Like so many others I simply don't trust some jobs to others especially if I can't watch. Too many horror stories about oil changes farmed out and all things considered the supposed minor cost differences between DIY and pay services it seems a small investment in time and money to assure the job done to my specs. Yes DIY can be a bit of a fuss but its a small chore made easier if thought is put into the process and tooling up accordingly.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Hey PawPaw and TLD---here's something else to consider for mess-free oil changes: Quick Changers @ Unique Truck Equipment Inc I have these installed on two E250's--since I change oil myself in a sloped driveway draining the pan has been a messy propostion in the past. These Quick Change fittings solve the potential for a mess but eliminate all wear to the oil pan plug threads as well.

What I like about these is all draining oil can be directed to the catch pan within a tube so no spillage or wind catching the stream and decorating the driveway or underside of my vehicles. Plug it in to drain the pan then forget it until its completely empty, remove the hose and no drips, no messes.

I'm contemplating adding an oil system pre-oiler which while not complicated will require one additional small step when changing oil---not a task I'd trust to anyone but myself. Like so many others I simply don't trust some jobs to others especially if I can't watch. Too many horror stories about oil changes farmed out and all things considered the supposed minor cost differences between DIY and pay services it seems a small investment in time and money to assure the job done to my specs. Yes DIY can be a bit of a fuss but its a small chore made easier if thought is put into the process and tooling up accordingly.
Interesting approach, that looks like a simplified Fumoto idea, BUT I noticed it seems to stick up/through & above the inside of the oil pans threaded hole, such that it sorta forms a raised dam, such that when the valve is opened to drain the oil, it seems that all of the old oil can't be removed.
On a large capacity pan, it would seem to me, that amount could be significant????!!!!

Fumoto claims their valve doesn't extend through & above the inside of the pans threaded fitting, such that there is no raised dam effect, so their idea is that the Fumoto would drain as much as old oil, as removing the OEM drain plug.

After a drain, have you ever taken the "quick changer" out & measued how much old oil remained in the pan????

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
No, I've never gone this far in removing the Quick Changer to check the remaining oil. It seems my pans construction has the drain area somewhat lower than the rest of the pan with a funnel or spout sort of arrangement. Chances are there isn't much remaining after those last few drips.

Not sure if it matters but I change oil at 3K miles give or take 100 so even if a bit does remain it would be almost insignificant overall.

I'll check a bit further into the Fumoto device----you've piqued my interest now!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Post Fiend

Well I did look at the Fumoto valves a bit closer---not much of an improvement over the Quick Changers IMO. Its curious they advise to drive safely and if any foreign objects are struck to immediately inspect the valve for damage. I know there are testimonials from long time users but even so this troubles me ever so slightly.

Fixed installations would be ideal for this type of valve perhaps. I'm certainly not touting the Quick Changers specificially but the portion that is exposed to the road is far less suspectible to damage etc.

There's probably a place for each style so now we have a choice maybe!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication

Tags
beetle, bolts, changing, eod4, flmownerscom, fluid, ford, fords, late, model, oil, pan, plastic, removing, transmission