2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

ControlTrac 4-wheel-drive, and how it works.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, it's potato/potato if you know what I mean. I guess it's just weird hearing about a center differential in a large truck. I'm used to calling it a transfer case that is electronically controlled.

Fair enough.

Mark

Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 PM
1big.D.
New User
Hi there, I'm new to forums. So be easy on me. I have a 2002 expedition that is not engaging into to 4hi or 4lo. When I move the switch to 4hi or 4lo I have some clicking in the dash but the 4x4 light doesn't come on and the 4-wheel -drive doesn't engage. Do you have any info to point me in the right direction. Thanks

Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Henry Ford the 8th
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Que es mas better?

Great explanation, GlassLeather&Wood. Thanks for telling me more than the dealer could. I am looking at a 2013 Expedition 4x4, comparing it to the 2013 Toyota Sequoia. Ford offers a short wheelbase model that fits my garage better, Toyota makes you buy the Land Cruiser for an extra $25k if you want SWB; but both Toyotas have that TorSen center diff. that requires no computer control. What think you?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM
fstaslp
Freshman User
Quick question on this: why when I am in 4A, do I feel torque wind up in parking lots?

Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 PM
david_jr
Senior User
OK one more question if I might: I know I posted in this thread over 4 years ago because I knew nothing about the 4x4 system. Have driven the Expy in 4A or 4H on a few occasions, but only turned it on when I thought it was necessary. Never really noticed its operation in progress and had even used 4H on a trip from Mass to Michigan a couple years back at Christmas time driving in a snow storm and everything seemed to be working fine I thought. Last winter we experienced getting stuck in our fairly flat driveway on ice that had frozen around our 4 tires overnight during a thaw/flash freeze cycle and could not get out of the ruts with 4H or 4L. Took the Expy to the dealer and they said the actuators up front needed to be replaced, which they did under the ESP with $100 deductible. Don't recall if we used the 4x4 much if any after that last winter. Now this winter a couple weeks ago while getting our Christmas tree at a farm nearby we had to drive some very muddy rutted dirt roads and park in a muddy field so I engaged the 4H. I noticed an immediate difference but it seemed like it was binding and even hopped a bit I noticed. I immediately thought something was wrong with the 4WD system. I had to go out in a miserable snow storm last week and rescue my son who got in an accident on the way home from school driving in the storm. I had the Expy in 4A and it seemed to run fine until I was going up the driveway to the tow yard and the 4x4 kicked in due to slip and I felt the same binding sensation but the truck never skipped a beat and made it up the snowy hill no problem. I made an appointment at the Ford dealer to have it looked at and took it there this morning. After an hour they brought it back to me and said there was nothing wrong with it. I said ok and went out, got in the truck put it in 4H and sure enough it was doing it still!! I went back in and got the guy that told me it was fine and brought him out and had him ride along with me and the truck did the same thing especially when turning. He said that is how it is supposed to operate. So I conclude that either the 4WD system had not been working since I owned the truck in October 2009 until I got it repaired last winter, or the dealer is lying to me about it working properly. Now after rereading this excellent thread I am reminded that GlassLeatherandWood made the point that 4H and 4L are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. So it might be the former rather than the latter. I would love to hear opinions on what I am observing. If this is true I will remind all family members to ONLY use 4H when off road like in the farmer's field getting a Christmas tree.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
4H or 4L "lock" the front and rear drive shafts together so that they rotate at the same speeds. This is fine if you are going perfectly straight, but if you turn left or right the drive shafts would like to turn at different speeds because of the different arcs the front and rear axles are traversing. If you are on a slippery surface the wheels will slip to accommodate, but if you are on solid surface, you will feel the drivetrain wind up.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 PM
david_jr
Senior User
Originally Posted by pdqford
4H or 4L "lock" the front and rear drive shafts together so that they rotate at the same speeds. This is fine if you are going perfectly straight, but if you turn left or right the drive shafts would like to turn at different speeds because of the different arcs the front and rear axles are traversing. If you are on a slippery surface the wheels will slip to accommodate, but if you are on solid surface, you will feel the drivetrain wind up.
Thanks neighbor.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:28 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
And to further clarify, 4H can be used on any surface, not just off road. Who ever gave you that advice is off base.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Sam95
New User
Transfer case swap

Does anyone know if I can swap a transfer case from an F1 50 to an expedition both of them the same year same motor same transmission however the expedition is all-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive and the F1 50 is 2x4/4x4 can this be done without trouble?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:24 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Probably not. Computer control, ABS/VSS/traction control issues methinks.

You just need a replacment? Should be easy to find the correct one as they are not rare.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 AM
Jessica Whitlow
New User
Does this apply to a 2005 xlt Ford Expedition
Originally Posted by eddiemoney
4 Hi is good for heavy active precip on the road, say 6 inches of snow

4 auto is good for slick roads, mild precip (say 1-3 inches).

The big difference is the ability to spin at different speeds in the 4 auto vs the 4 high which has the same rotational speed. That will make a difference plowing through heavy crap.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM
04ExpeditionEB
5th Wheeling
Resurecting an older thread. however my issue pertains to a problem locating the shift motor on my Navigator. its an 08 119"wb ultimate 4x4. i look at the transfer case trying to fix an issue with the indicator not showing when in 4x4 range. and i cant find the shift motor. heard the transfer case is a BW4417. and i cant find anything online about these either. where the hell is the shift motor. if you say to the rear of the case next tot he output shaft for rear driveshaft. i'll tell you dead wrong. nothing there but a 2 wire connector. been there done that. didnt see any other additional connectors on the transfer case at all. could it be mounted on the face of the unit? did i possibly miss it? any pics would be a great help, or maybe this is an all wheel unit with touch on demand torque with 4x4, maybe a new breed? i dont honestly know never seen a transfer case without shift motor and fork to shift the gear into position. could be electric clutch pack? if she where is the dam sensor to tell the truck its in 4x4 mode? i need to fix that as it is working properly in 4x4 just doesnt say its in 4x4 mode. which is annoying.
Thanks
Bill

Old 07-28-2019, 01:53 PM
Guillermo Ramon
New User
Thanks for that in depth reply. I do have a question. I have a 2006 Ford Explorer with AdvanceTrac® with RSC that I bought from the Broward Sherif's office.. Do the years of the Explorer correspond to the years of the Expedition?

Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 AM
2000Ford2000
Elder User
Now if I can ever get my 2011 Expy into 4L. It has enough problem getting into 4H. I've done as the display says. Slow or stopped, in N. Never goes into it. Once it showed 4L, but it was not geared down as it should be, and was obviously in 4H.

It takes me a few minutes to get it into 4H. Stopping, slowing, moving forward, stop, over and over and finally it goes into 4H, confirmed on gravel.

in 2H, when I start up from a dead stop or very slow, or after being parked, the display shows its changing modes. After moving for up to 15 seconds, it shows it into 2H.

I keep forgetting if my aftermarket powertrain warranty covers this. I only have 3 months left on it so I better get reading it.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this thread is important info and should be a sticky.
Thanks OP!

Quick Reply: ControlTrac 4-wheel-drive, and how it works.