Fuel Pump 10 psi but still runs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fuel Pump 10 psi but still runs?

1997 F-250 PSD w/170k. 4x2

I have not been plugging in the block heater the last two days to see how well the GRP and GPs were working. It's been a high of 45 and lows in the mid 20s at night. The truck stays outside.

Anyways, today, I cranked up the truck, waited for it to warm up, and went to drop off some oil. On the way, if I pressed the accelerator pedal, it felt like there was no power, I heard a loud hissing sound, and if I let off the pedal, the truck would idle normally with a few surges. No smoke, no CEL. Truck still cold on the dash gauge.

I idled my way back home, let the truck run for a while in the driveway, and checked the fuel pressure. With two different tire gauges, I got no better than 12 psi. I made sure the gauges were still taking readings by using them on my tires. Both worked, but still showed 10 psi on the schrader valve.

I decided to try and re-create the problem by driving up and down the street under some hard acceleration. I could not get the hissing sound or the lack of power that I had earlier.

I changed the fuel filter five days, using the purolator filter. I cleaned the FPR screen (it was gunked up) when I changed the filter, and I cleaned it again today. There was still some black crud on the screen. I changed the oil yesterday, I used the motorcraft 15w40 CL-4 and a motorcraft filter (on sale at wallyworld).

I have not shimmed the FPR yet, but with a pressure that low, I can't see it helping any. But how can the truck run with only 10 psi of fuel? And how can I put it in gear and drive around if the fuel pump is going bad?

I am going to order a fuel pump, I'm sure that it's on it's way to a short death. This truck was not run hard by it's previous owners.

I am at a loss, hoping that you guys can help. I go outside and crank it over right now, and it will run with a minor loopy idle. I'm sure it is because it is about 40 outside.

Help!

Tim

Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
drivembig
Senior User
Check out this thread that I had some time ago https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...t-i-found.html I had a lot of the black stuff that you are talking about in the screen down in the bottom of the regulator.

As someone in the thread pointed out that it looks like the fuel lines are coming apart from age from the inside and causing the debris. So I would start there and see how it goes.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
That loud hiss and lack of power is your back pressure vaqlve in the turbine hosuing actuaqting, you can unplug the 2 prong dongle at the bottom of the compressor housing to deal with that PITA, but for the 10psi I'm stumped? That's a new low! Hah id send you my spare but the lifter for the pump fell in my motor haha, get one with a life time warrenty

Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Well, I though the hissing was a cylinder missing. I'm thinking that the FPR must be clogged beyond belief, and the schrader valve has gunk in it also. Drivembig, thanks for the post, I'll leave ya a rep for that one. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and I'll post the results here.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check fuse 22 while your looking. If you experience much cold weather you may want to switch to 5w40. Also you could have some gunk in the schrader valve that is not allowing you to see the actual pressure. But the link posted by drivembig shows where the prefilter is and yes its been known to foul out. Start running some seafoam in the diesel to help remove more trash. The EBPV suggestion is a good one as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

When my fuel pump died, that's how it went. Get one from International. Made a world of difference. Your's is nearly dead. As for the fuel lines, that could be a problem as well, but not the main one. They will run with low fuel pressure, but barely. Mine would barely pull itself, let alone the trailer I had it hooked up to when it went. One other slim possibility might be clogged suction filters in the fuel tanks. There is a bypass on them, but I've had them all plugged to the point it wouldn't do more than idle. Have to pull the tanks for that one. As a quick check, you can blow some air back through the lines from the pump to the tank to eliminate that possibility.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
I'll clean the FPR tomorrow. Dave, I've got a feeling the fuel pump is going. I'll probably go ahead and purchase one, as I found one in the area. I HATE parts guessing, but I don't know squat about diesels yet.

Thanks guys and girls.

Tim

Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Jacksfirstdiesel
Senior User
Did you check pressure on both tanks? There's lots of places for fuel restrictions starting with the screens on the tank pickup tubes. getting the FPR clean will get warm fuel going back the return line to the tank your using.Shimming the FPR will help too. Is your fuel filter good? If you do need to do the pump, there's a lot of info here. Make sure to lift the pump by rolling the cam around to the top so the new one doesn't fall in the motor

Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
I've read that there is only one pump made for our rigs, and that all the parts stores, Ford, and Int'l all sell the same one at different prices.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
It can't run with 10 psi. A tire gauge is not the way to check it unless it's made for liquid and I doubt yours is. Those are kinda pricy. I wouldn't even recommend using those though. They were designed for water filled tires, not diesel fuel. Get a fuel pressure gauge that is liquid filled.

Do not disconnect the ebpv either. Diesels need to run warm and if you want it to last you will do things to help it warm up faster. That thing will beat itself to an early grave if it stays cold any longer than it has to. The engine does not lose power with the ebpv closed if you give it some more throttle it will open the valve. It sure will warm up faster though.

I think you probably gelled up or got some crap in the tank. I seriously doubt it's algae in the winter. Think about it. Have you ever seen an alga bloom on a pond in the winter when it's cold? I haven't. I haven't seen it on a diesel in the winter either. Too many people mistake black fuel filters in a powerstroke for algae when it is bad injector o rings.

Just put some powerservice in it and go about double strength. If your o rings are ok it should clear it up.
Do check the fuel heater as was already suggested and make sure it's working. They help a lot when they work right.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Well, gelled fuel also makes sense. I felt pretty sure that the engine could not run on 10 psi. I'll still pull the FPR apart and clean it tomorrow. I still feel like this is a fuel pump issue.

When I changed the fuel filter, I found the fuel bowl filled with the light blue/green diesel. I searched for those terms on here, and most people said that it is the dye they use. Makes sense to me. I know that different grades are dyed different colors.

When I checked the filter today, there was no color change to the filter (white filter was an "off white" color, consistant with what I would expect. I do not see my injector rings being an issue (yet) as there was no oil in the fuel.

It does seem very strange to me that this happened after an oil change. I know it is most likely a coincidence (spelling?), but I guess there's a chance that the two are related.

I'll start searching for fuel pump replacement threads. If there are no pictures, I'll try and take some.

Thanks everyone, and Geaux Saints!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Have you been on the highway since this problem? You should try it. There may be nothing wrong. It sounds like the ebpv just scared you mostly. It usually does for most people the first time. It will feel like it's about to do something bad when the valve closes but just give it some more gas. It will keep closing on light throttle till the oil is warmed up enough to open it for good.

I only talked about that other stuff to head off the junk that I knew was coming.
When you take the FPR off, just go clean it in your sink with hot water and soap. If it is one with the little filter canister on it then take that part off and clean it good too inside. You shouldn't have to buy any new o rings or anything but if it's never been off before you will need a new clamp for the blue hose on the front of it. It doesn't have a reusable clamp from the factory. You shouldn't need any new o rings or anything but be careful not to drop the inlet one and the screen. Don't pull the white orifice out either. Just run hot water through it.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
I guess this is the reason that I've been looking for to buy a fuel pressure gauge. I'm sure the wife won't be happy with the initial cost, but I'll figure out a way to explain it to her (or hide it).

I've heard the EPGV hissing before on some starts, but this was the first time I've heard the distinctive hiss going down the road. I didn't realize the motor could stay cold for that long. I hate cold weather. I miss Southeastern Texas (Houston).

The truck runs like nothing is wrong other than the somewhat loopy idle. There doesn't appear to be a loss of power when there is no hiss.

We will see tomorrow. The plus side is that at work, we have the "alternate fuel" parking spots that have power plugs in front of them. I'll get to plug in my block heater at my company's expense. It's nice to stick it to the man every now and again.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 AM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Well, I haven't heard the hiss since Sunday. I used the truck last night when the ambient air temp was about 35. Truck ran reasonably well.

I took apart the FPR and cleaned it yesterday, using a carb cleaner and compressed air. I found that the FPR does not have a large black bowl on the bottom, rather a small "steel wool" type screen that it held in a resivour (spelling?) by a snap ring. There was a fuel line going into this resivour.

After the cleaning, no change in fuel pressure using a tire gauge. Hopefully today I'll havce access to a real fuel pressure gauge. I'll post my finding either tonight or tomorrow.

On a side note, my engine is filthy. The previous owners did not clean under the hood at all (or the inside of the truck for that matter). What does everyone use to clean the engine. I've got 170,000 miles worth of dirt/dust/crud on everything, and I'd like to clean it off.

Beers,

Tim