Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
New User

docbreece is starting off with a positive reputation.
Arrow I need some help with a code and I/M Monitors!

This is what I'm pulling out of my 2000 Expy with an Accutron OBDII reader.

Code: P1151 Manufacturer Fuel Air Metering

All my I/M monitors are good except Catalyst Monitor and Evap System Monitor, which say "Inc"

I got a Freeze frame, and this is what I read...

DTC causing: P1151
RPM: 1180
Load value: 71.3%
Coolant Temp: 188F
Short Term Fuel Trim1: 3.1%
Long Term Fuel Trim1: 0.0%
STFT2: 3.1%
LTFT2: 0.0%
STFT3: 61.6%
LTFT3: 57.0%
Veh. Speed: 42 mph
Fuel Sys1: CLSD1
Fuel Sys2: N/A

Any help? I want to see if it could be anything other than the MAF, as it's rather expensive....

Thank you!
Eric
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbreece View Post
Code: P1151 Manufacturer Fuel Air Metering
Check to make sure your oil cap is on tight, the dipstick is in all the way, the PCV valve is seated all the way into it's grommet, and that the PCV hose is undamaged it's entire length.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Posting Guru

pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Any help? I want to see if it could be anything other than the MAF, as it's rather expensive....
Eric, I highly doubt its your MAF, as a problem with the MAF usually effects both banks.

Your P1151 is telling you that the PCM ran a test on your HO2S and the upstream HO2S on Bank 2 (i.e, driver's side) failed the test. It was stuck 'lean' at the end of the test and has not switched from lean to rich for a claibrated amount of time.

This code is keeping the Cat Monitor and the EVAP Monitor from running to completion.

Your HO2S may be dying, or the problem could be in wiring to the HO2S. (Or you may have a fuel issue (pressure, injector, etc). To save some $$, you could try swapping the left and right HO2S and if you then get a P1131, the HO2S is the culprit.
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/50500.png
Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
New User

Good, good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqford View Post
Your HO2S may be dying, or the problem could be in wiring to the HO2S. (Or you may have a fuel issue (pressure, injector, etc). To save some $$, you could try swapping the left and right HO2S and if you then get a P1131, the HO2S is the culprit.
Thank you. What exactly are you referring to when you say HO2S? I recently replaced the #4 coil pack, and the PCV valve position sensor switch(? I think that's what it was. It was a little black box above the engine on the driver's side, it had two vacuum lines running into it, and an electrical plug.)

Eric
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
What exactly are you referring to when you say HO2S?
Heated Oxygen Sensor
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Posting Guru

pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I recently replaced the #4 coil pack, and the PCV valve position sensor switch(? I think that's what it was. It was a little black box above the engine on the driver's side, it had two vacuum lines running into it, and an electrical plug.)
That sounds to me like you replaced the EGR solenoid. It is an electrical (hence, the electrical plug) solenoid controlled by the PCM. When the PCM activates the solenoid, vacuum is passed to the EGR valve to control the EGR valve.

Are you dealing with the 4.6 or 5.4 engine?
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/50500.png
Old 02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
New User

It's a 4.6. Egr, yes. Egr valve position sensor switch was its name-o.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 PM
New User

Well, I checked my PCV valve, and I have LOADS of vacuum at the valve. The oil cap is on tight, and the dipstick is fully seated. Looks like it's probably the HO2S? How much trouble are we talking to check those? I've got my Haynes manual, and the process it describes is not one I can accomplish in my situation. Anyone know of another way? The manual describes using paperclips or something. Doesn't sound right. Also, I don't have a volt meter. What else can I check to rule out before I replace those O2 sensors?

Eric
Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
P1131 and P1151 DTCs are usually (but not always) caused by the upstream O2 sensor for the bank for which the code is posted. In the absense of in-depth troubleshooting, replace the upstream O2 sensor on the driver's side. Bosch, NGK, and Motorcraft are all good. Figure around $50-60 from a local parts store as a typical price.

You replaced the DPFE sensor. Hopefully, you got one from Motorcraft.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2001, 30, dohc, evap, expedition, fault, ford, fuel, lincoln, monitor, navigator, ol, p1151, sys1, taurus