Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting the f150 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 PM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifting the f150 questions

Well guys im trying to figure out what brand to look at for a 6" suspension lift. Its a 95 f150 4x4 ext. cab shortbed 351w with single shocks up front. I also plan on installing a 3" body lift sense its used mostly on road and lightly offroad. The lift is basically for looks and i gotta beat out a buddys 96 chevy 1500 lifted 6" on 35s i know ill have to switch out the gears so what should i be looking at? Also i was looking at rough countrys 6" lift with rear add-a-leafs, dual stabilizers, front and rear brake lines for $800. Will i need a driveshaft extenstion? if so where would i get one? I also plan on replacing all the rubber bushings on the truck sense it has 200k miles on it even though it was very well maintained time and wear takes a toll on those rubber parts. Is there a kit thats sold that would replace the rubber parts on the suspension that is needed? a link would be greatly appreicated. Is there anything else that you guys recommend doing? i have roughly 5 grand to spend but a part of that gos towards rebuilding the motor and upgrades to the transmission so im trying to keep the lift resonable sense its a road princess yet not going with crap.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deleted to keep the peace.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I originaly had a rough country lift in my truck and tore it out after 9 months. Not only did the stuff keep loosening up, but it was poorly made. Also the rear spring lift is a helper spring that you add to your pack, so plan on wearing a kidney belt when you drive your truck from now on. I went with Skyjacker the second time around. It's been in there for 6 years and never have I had a problem. The parts are a lot thicker and spread the weight out more. Classic case of "you get what you pay for".

Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
KC92F150
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93f250tn

I had a 92 F150 that I installed a Procomp 6" lift and I had a 2 inch body lift. I have heard that some springs will sag after a short time. I am wanting to say I've heard that about Rough Country and Superlift but I can't remember for sure. I can say for certain thay my Procomp lift hasn't sagged at all. Also be sure you get a dropped pitman arm and camber bushings. Camber bushings are for the front end alignment. Don't forget shocks as well, they should come with the kit.

As far as the drive shafts go, I didn't have to do anything with them. I think anything above 6" of lift they will need to be replaced.

I don't know of any kit to replace all the bushings, may have to buy as needed. A good place to look is www.4wheelparts.com they may sell something like that.

Some things to think about concerning the body lift. You may need to notch the front bumper to raise it high enough as the frame horns get in the way. There is also no brackets to raise the rear bumper. I had to remove all but one bolt on each side of the rear bumper brackets, so the bumper would pivot, push the bumper up and redrill the others so I could close the gap. Another thing you will have to do is remove the 4 wheel drive shifter, heat it and bend it to fit properly after the body lift is installed.

For gearing I had 4:56's installed. My engine was the 4.9L so I needed the extra power. With 35's I had no problems around town but I could only do about 60 MPH highway speed. I would think having a fresh 351 you could probably get way with 4:10/4:11. I think there is a gear ratio chart also on the 4wheel parts site. Do some research on the gearing to be sure you can live with what you decide on.

I hope some of this helps.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Originally Posted by KC92F150
93f250tn

I had a 92 F150 that I installed a Procomp 6" lift and I had a 2 inch body lift. I have heard that some springs will sag after a short time. I am wanting to say I've heard that about Rough Country and Superlift but I can't remember for sure. I can say for certain thay my Procomp lift hasn't sagged at all. Also be sure you get a dropped pitman arm and camber bushings. Camber bushings are for the front end alignment. Don't forget shocks as well, they should come with the kit.

As far as the drive shafts go, I didn't have to do anything with them. I think anything above 6" of lift they will need to be replaced.

I don't know of any kit to replace all the bushings, may have to buy as needed. A good place to look is www.4wheelparts.com they may sell something like that.

Some things to think about concerning the body lift. You may need to notch the front bumper to raise it high enough as the frame horns get in the way. There is also no brackets to raise the rear bumper. I had to remove all but one bolt on each side of the rear bumper brackets, so the bumper would pivot, push the bumper up and redrill the others so I could close the gap. Another thing you will have to do is remove the 4 wheel drive shifter, heat it and bend it to fit properly after the body lift is installed.

For gearing I had 4:56's installed. My engine was the 4.9L so I needed the extra power. With 35's I had no problems around town but I could only do about 60 MPH highway speed. I would think having a fresh 351 you could probably get way with 4:10/4:11. I think there is a gear ratio chart also on the 4wheel parts site. Do some research on the gearing to be sure you can live with what you decide on.

Thanks it helps a ton to give me an idea what i can expect, i dont plan on going 100pmh in this truck and with a rebuilt 351w with a mild cam., headers and a few other upgrades i think it should do 70-80mph fine without wearing out the motor. Im having our local mechanic put everything on for me sense he has all the tools and equipment to get it done right and safely. My buddy just installed a skyjacker kit on his 07 wrangler so ill ask him how good of quality it is. I appreicate the help

Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deleted to keep the peace.

Still think that spending thousands to simply attempt to impress a friend is a little odd.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KC92F150

gears dont add or remove power they just get it to the ground more or less efficiently...

gears depend on tire size... Help and Tech Articles | Interco Tire theres a good calculator there, use the factory tire size in the "old tire dia." spot so you get the correct gears, if you have a manual tranny theres also a chart there that will tell you what RPM you wil turn with which gears/tires in 4TH gear at 60MPH, very helpful if you have a manual useless if you have an auto...

being that you have a fresh 351 you could get away with higher gears (numerically lower) ...if you do 35's id say do 4.56 gears...

Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
OK guys ...chill.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Guys, if there's a comment you don't like, please don't "quote" it, just report it. It makes clean-up much easier.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
BucksTrucks
Senior User
Look in to the Dick Cepek lifts. They look identical to the high dollar BDS lifts and go for about 850 for the Stage 2 with the long arms. Then do a sky shackle flip for the rear and you will be set up good if you retain the stock blocks.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
I'll bet he likes the Skyjacker but if he has nothing to compare it to then it won't mean much coming from him.

Lift it.....fat girls can't jump

Originally Posted by zxwut?
Still think that spending thousands to simply attempt to impress a friend is a little odd.
"we buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like" Dave Ramsey

Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
I'm not mad I just didn't see any reason for it. So I'm chill

Originally Posted by Carlene
Guys, if there's a comment you don't like, please don't "quote" it, just report it. It makes clean-up much easier.

Thanks.
Sorry...... won't happen again

Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
I still stand by Skyjacker products, they're the best bang for the buck. As far as replacing the rubber bushings and so forth, I'd check Broncograveyard.com. They sell Energy Suspension and Daystar bushings for really good prices, and offer a variaty of colors. Unfortunatly though, they don't sell Skyjacker parts. Your best bet for those is 4wheelparts.com. If you get on their e-mailing list, they'll send you an e-mail when they have sales on parts. And the best thing is, they have free shipping specials too!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
One more thing I forgot to add in my previous post. You mentioned something about adding a cam and mildly rebuilding your 351 in the truck. Make sure your truck is a mass air equipped truck. Being that it's a 1995 it should be, but if by chance it's not, then doing those modifications won't do you any good until you convert it to a mass air system. Oh and for gears, I recommend 4.56's they're good up to a 38" tire.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Brute
then doing those modifications won't do you any good until you convert it to a mass air system
Thats not necessiarily true. I have an SD truck pushing +-300 HP. Grant it a mass air system can handle bigger cams and better flowing heads to get you a good ways past my goals. It is possible to do on a SD system, but a mass air system is definatly the way to go.

Quick Reply: Lifting the f150 questions