6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM
fg250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
jtcf250
Freshman User
SCT or Spartan

ok so here we go. the dealer i mentioned in an earlier post installs only SCt livewire as mentioned for $1900 that includes DPF delete etc... He claims both SCT and Spartan are very good but SCT is a little milder than the Spartan and possibly a little safer. (sales talk) they have done 400-500 trucks on SCT etc... none have had warranty issues as long as they bring em back to them. Now, you do sign a waiver which im not surprised. another route im looking at is guy has done many on the side and has done both Spartan and SCT.. getting his price tomorrow. Scenario1; dealer install SCT plus DPF delete $1900 or $1100 for just SCT tuner keep DPF. Scenario2: found SCT 9621 model tuner for 6.4L for $505 and i can flash myself which i have done has SCT in the past. Scenario3: individual (works for Ford..) installs on the side either SCT or Spartan... no price yet... Im very very close to making decision. again my goal: increase MPG by 3+. Plan: keep DPF initially along with stock air. install tune only. Do you think ill get 3 mpg? i know i can if i remove DPF but im nervous except when i think how many this dealer pro shop has done using SCT... that gives me some comfort but you sign, they know and have it documented in their system you tuned.. not sure i like that. Plan2: Keep DPF, Tune + add cold air stage-1. this would be easy to reconfig. would I get 3 MPG? my struggle is if i can buy the SCT tuner for $505 why would i spend $1100. my plan would be to return to stock as many of you have strongly suggested on this forum so why pay dealer $1100 unless im missing something. its very apparent SPartan is the leader but not sure for my goals i have to go that route and spend twice as much for the tuner. Looking for validation in my scenarios. thanks for your time this forum has been very helpful.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
I am confused, you are signing a waver at the dealership saying what? Are you losing your warranty when your dealer does the install? And why 3 mpg? Would 2 be ok, how about 4? Hahaha! Reminds me of 7 min abs. Clearly doing a DPF/CAT delete with a Spartan tune will definitely yield you more like 6-8 mpg. So I say, if you are going to tune it and void your warranty, why not go all out while voiding your warranty?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
jtcf250
Freshman User
Have not seen waiver. My understanding is it says i know the risks etc... I picked 3mpg as that would be a nice increase AND was hoping to get that by just flashing vs having to re-attach DPF. I have pretty much decided not to go with dealer due to much higher cost and don't want to sign anything. They want $1100 just to install SCT tune. Thats nuts as i can buy for $700 and do myself. i would like to get a tuner that has DPF on & DPF off tunes loaded so i can ease into this deal. My understanding is SCT may or may not do this but Spartan does its just more $$ BUT, everyone here seems to lean to Spartan. From what i can tell they will both get about 6-8 without DPF. One guy called me back today and suggested SCT or Spartan and he had used innovative diesel for custom tune. he also said full Spartan install cold air/dpf delete etc.. $3k... thats a bit high as the kit at Spartan is $2k. I just need think thru all the info and this forum has been Great thus far. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
My opinion... if you do decided to tune it thus voiding your warranty, why not go all out and remove the CAT/DPF. I got the Dashdaq (which monitors your trucks vitals on a nice LCD screen), the DPF/CAT delete straight pipe, and the tunes from Spartan for roughly $1400 something. This will yield you the best results for your truck in regards to power and fuel mileage. Do the pipe yourself to save some money, and keep the stock intake. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
jtcf250
Freshman User
Spartan or SCT

Thanks for your input and agree, decided to go all out. It seems Spartan gets recommended more often, why? I have on 08' Job 3 6.4L F350 4x4 Crew Short. Want to improve MPG not lookin to race. Hence, im leaning to SCT. Also dont need digital gauges everywhere, rather flash and store in console (after i watch a few weeks to insure its ok) Just looking for some direction and thought about having a custom tune done to match my strategy. Also, can i use an SCT X3 model 3000 and load a custom tune to my truck vs buying a new tuner? thanks again for your input and time

Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 AM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
SCT...YES!

1.) Waiver MAY just be to cover the dealer from an EPA $ fine for deleting the DPF. (Yes, I said MAY)

2.) Forget the dealer either way - call Eric at Innovative Diesel Performance and get the Livewire from him with his tunes. He's the BEST with SCT.

3.) You will not increase your mileage as long as that DPF is on there. I tried the Banks Six Gun tuner last summer when they first came out - ran it in all 6 settings and the mileage difference was negligible. Performance was O.K. but no mileage increase. When I first got my SCT, I ran with DPF and tried all their "canned" settings - negligible mileage difference again. I then installed the Delete kit and a custom tune - 5 mpg (combined city/highway) increase without babying it.

4.) Even with the DPF Delete Kit, it'll be a lot less expensive than a Spartan. He gives you 4 custom tunes (All DPF Delete) that range from an increase of 65HP to an increase of 300+ HP. They will all increase mileage but how much, I haven't seen documented yet.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM
KPBJJ
Junior User
What do u guys think about the mini max? I am trying to decide between the spartan or the mini max can anyone help me with the comparison? It seems like this thread is all about the spartan being the best.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Greyman
Senior User
I love my Mini Maxx, this thread is very old, Mini Maxx wasn't big back then. Now the Mini is one of the best tuners out there.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Holy thread resurrections Batman!

MiniMax is great no question...but I still say Spartan for the win! BEST gauges/display, choice of tunes (DPF on and off), etc. If all you're ever going to do is an intake, tuner and exhaust you can't go wrong with Spartan...

Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Gryfox23
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
Holy thread resurrections Batman!

MiniMax is great no question...but I still say Spartan for the win! BEST gauges/display, choice of tunes (DPF on and off), etc. If all you're ever going to do is an intake, tuner and exhaust you can't go wrong with Spartan...
What other options are there other than intake, tuner, and exhaust? I'm learnin so bare with me. I'm lookin at doin somethin, just don't know what yet.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
KPBJJ
Junior User
I dont know about other options. But I just did the minimax, dpf/cat delete and s&b intake and it's unreal. The difference is like night and day the power is amazing on the hot tune and the throttle response and shifting with the s2 med Trans tuning is awesome.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Originally Posted by jimd1050
1.) Waiver MAY just be to cover the dealer from an EPA $ fine for deleting the DPF. (Yes, I said MAY)

2.) Forget the dealer either way - call Eric at Innovative Diesel Performance and get the Livewire from him with his tunes. He's the BEST with SCT.

3.) You will not increase your mileage as long as that DPF is on there. I tried the Banks Six Gun tuner last summer when they first came out - ran it in all 6 settings and the mileage difference was negligible. Performance was O.K. but no mileage increase. When I first got my SCT, I ran with DPF and tried all their "canned" settings - negligible mileage difference again. I then installed the Delete kit and a custom tune - 5 mpg (combined city/highway) increase without babying it.

4.) Even with the DPF Delete Kit, it'll be a lot less expensive than a Spartan. He gives you 4 custom tunes (All DPF Delete) that range from an increase of 65HP to an increase of 300+ HP. They will all increase mileage but how much, I haven't seen documented yet.

I have a 2010 PSD and I am looking to "repair" my exhaust and gain a few hp in the process 50-80 should be good. The truck pulls good after a regen, and other times I am almost t-boned due to turbo lag!

1. I like the price point of the SCT Livewire and would probably get it from innovative diesel... Can it change tunes on the fly? Can it adjust the speedo for tire size? Does it allow adjustment of the TPMS sensors?

2. I like the H&S XRT Pro for the price, but I do not know which dealer to use for this tuner and my 6.4? I see on the H&S website that it can fix the speedo and the TPMS.

3. Who makes a high quality, thick gauge (pipe wall thickness) DPF and cat delete? I know that sometimes buying a stainless exhaust is not the best answer since the wall thickness is similar to paper!

Thanks in advance -

Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gryfox23
What other options are there other than intake, tuner, and exhaust? I'm learnin so bare with me. I'm lookin at doin somethin, just don't know what yet.
Look at my sig! There's longevity mods that won't increase power but should help your motor run stronger and longer, like an oil, coolant and tranny fluid bypass. Right now I have a DieselSite coolant bypass filter and AMSOIL oi bypass filter, when I service my tranny soon I'll add a Mag-Hytec high capacity pan with a DieselSite tranny filter bypass filter. I also have a CCV catch can installed to keep crankcase vapor garbage out of my intake tract. I'll also be adding an AirDog II (165 GPH/10 PSI fixed) to augment the filtration of my fuel...

Let's reduce backpressure and EGTs! The stock CAC pipe that goes through your radiator support has a massive pinch in it and the stock downpipe has likewise. Under as close to identical conditions as possible my truck runs at 100-150 degrees cooler on EGTs, and the turbo spools quicker. You won't likely make more power but your engine will be happier.

If you want your engine ecstatic, do a FULL EGR delete and stud the motor. A wastegate might not be necessary to keep your EBP in check if you're running 300HP and under tunes, but it doesn't hurt as long as it's properly "tuned". As long as your staying under the 600 RWHP range and not thrashing your truck at the track and sled pulls, your transmission will hold up fine.

After that you could get way out of hand...

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by mizzitch
I have a 2010 PSD and I am looking to "repair" my exhaust and gain a few hp in the process 50-80 should be good. The truck pulls good after a regen, and other times I am almost t-boned due to turbo lag!

1. I like the price point of the SCT Livewire and would probably get it from innovative diesel... Can it change tunes on the fly? Can it adjust the speedo for tire size? Does it allow adjustment of the TPMS sensors?

2. I like the H&S XRT Pro for the price, but I do not know which dealer to use for this tuner and my 6.4? I see on the H&S website that it can fix the speedo and the TPMS.

3. Who makes a high quality, thick gauge (pipe wall thickness) DPF and cat delete? I know that sometimes buying a stainless exhaust is not the best answer since the wall thickness is similar to paper!

Thanks in advance -
1. If you go IDP, make sure to get their Xtreme tuning package which has their best tunes including an excellent tow tune. Gearhead Automotive (which is what I run in addition to IDP) likewise makes excellent SCT based tunes that are practically smoke free and maximize mileage. You CANNOT shift on the fly with SCT but you can adjust for tire size and RPM (mile). There's no TPMS features available for any tuner IIRC...

2. H&S XRT Pro is an excellent tuner and allows for shift on the fly...didn't know they allowed for TPMS function/programming...? Check with ANY of our supporting vendors for purchase, might wanna start with Thoroughbred Diesel who sponsors this forum!

3. Street Diesel Performance/Powerstroker67 makes the best delete pipe IMO, along with his downpipe and CAC pipe. His pipe is what a lot of vendors resell actually...