Computer Chips & Tuners  

Banks Transcommand

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
RookieRecurve
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Transcommand

Anyone ever installed a Transcommand controller from Banks? Any opinions? Thanks!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not something that I would install. It's really not doing anything for your tranny at all. It says it changes pressures according to what it senses, shift pts etc. You can't efficiently do that on the fly, which is what they are saying this is doing. Now there is some adaptative "learning" that the torqshift can do, but after so long it is in a set "standard" if you will.

If you are just wanting your transmission tweaked for your preference or needs, I would suggest to just get a transmission tune only from a custom tuner. That is really going to be the only way to change the parameters of your transmission correctly. Especially if you are getting this for the Torqshift tranny(which is what I'm assuming since if I read correctly you have an 05).

Plus lets just assume for a second that the transcommand is a good thing for your tranny, because it's only able to go so far with it's own programming, it can't be tweaked to how exactly you like it. So there is a slight chance that you may not like how it "changes" the transmission parameters.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 AM
kc5mhb
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2000 F250 XLT Super Duty CC I just purchased had the complete Banks Power Pack installed and included the Ottomind and TransCommand module. I've noticed in the few days I've had the truck that low speed shifts are smooth and easy where as higher throttle shifts are more firm and quick. It is supposed to help more when towing so that you don't burn up the clutch plates in the transmission due to excessive slippage during shifts.
I've heard different things about raising the shift pressures and damaging the transmission, but according to my cousin who has been fixing transmissions for 30+ years, he said the TransCommand shift pressure increases shouldn't hurt the transmission at all. I will be installing a larger transmission cooler on this truck because its main purpose will be towing a 27.5' travel trailer weighing around 7500# loaded, bed of the truck loaded and 5 people inside. Main goal is to keep the transmission cooler. A cool transmission is a happy transmission.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 PM
kc5mhb
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change of opinion after removing the Banks TransCommand. Don't Do It! It requires removing 3 pins/wires from the automatic transmission module and replacing them with three from the TransCommand. Whoever did this messed up the automatic transmission module connector so the wires don't click in and stay put. As soon as I get a little more free time, the box is going to be unbolted and either given away or trashed along with the malfunctioning OttoMind chip.