1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD tranny trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
firebug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD tranny trouble

Recently my trans has started acting like it doesn't want to shift, and the cruise control works of and on. I stopped at a trans shop one day when my OD light started flashing. Their scanner said it was the torque converter. Does this sound right of is there something else I should check before having trans pulled out?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IYHNH the tranny replaced already

Hate to see a post go unnotice. But there could be other contributors. But if you have not had the tranny fluid changed then lets start there. If you want to do it your self and dont live on a farm its a little hard to keep from oiling the driveway or the yard and ticking someone off over the mess; but it can be done. If you have enough card board and 3m plastic or big trash bags and a second hand. DIY start removing the pan bolts and if your truck is on a angle toward the rear you need to drop the front of the pan first. If its angling the other way you will need to drop that side first and have a catch pan that can hold about 9 qts of fluid. Our trucks holds around 15 qts of fluid but most is in the TC and else where, so 8 to 9 qt pan is normally what falls ot of the pan. When you tilt the pan to drain, you will need a second hand to steady the pan before its disconnected and allow it to drain into the catch pan.

Once you drop the pan and clean yourself up with some rags; check the oil pan doughnut magnet; if there is a large silver greasey shiny mass on it your in trouble. If there is a minimal amount like the size of a round smashed 50 cent piece then you may still have some life it the old tranny. If there is shiny metal its either the pump area or the planitaries taking a dump.
If you have a large mass then---ouch. The E4od may be over, and then its time for a rebuild - BEEF IT UP. Multi plate clutch/ tc etc.
If there is some noticable metal then change the filter and reinstall and refill.

I have more, but you need to start either own your own or take it in. There have been instances where the issue is not the tranny; but if you have not ever changed the filter on it I would start there and see if you find issues or not as its tiem to change it anyhow.

Forgot to add you can pump most of the fluid out if the dipstick tube if youwnat to make the pan drop a cleaner job.

Post back

Rocky
(and this time to hell with the spelling) And yes guys I am drinking some suds tonight, rough BS week and I am off Friday.