1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Changing Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
ford12508
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing Oil Filter

So apparently the oil filter is in a very easy to reach location just behind the driver's side fog light, or at least that is what I read. I am having quite a difficult time removing it though, because it is sitting right on top of my front differential, and I am having trouble getting my strap wrench around it. Anyone know what I should do, if I have to remove any other parts, or if I should just leave it on?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not just leave it on!
If you have to take an old leather belt and wrap it around the filter instead of a strap wrench, do it, it works. If you have to you could get extreme and drive a large, long screwdriver through it and unscrew it that way. These engines are very sensitive to old, over used oil. If you do not do regular oil and filter changes you will be buying an engine, sooner or later. Or sticking it to an unsuspecting buyer.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the strap wrench can't fit around the filter use the cup type. Most auto parts stores sell them. If you buy it make sure you get the correct size for your filter because they are not adjustable.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
ford12508
Senior User
I have been afraid of doing the screw driver technique, what if I get the screw driver in, but it is stuck on so tight, that the screw driver technique doesnt work. Then not only do I have an old filter on there, but it has a hole in it. Is the screw driver technique 100% guarantee, or like 95% at least?

Edit - I just tried the leather belt suggestion, it was on the filter, I pulled on the end and tried twisting it with my hand. I kid you not when I say that I put over 100 pounds of force of the filter and it wouldn't come off. I heard some noises, but they werent the filter, I think it was the filter adapter. I am going to bring it over to a mechanic and have them deal with it. My mechanic was able to get it off in a matter of seconds last time I was there, but maybe it was tightened PROPERLY before he got to it

Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford12508
I have been afraid of doing the screw driver technique, what if I get the screw driver in, but it is stuck on so tight, that the screw driver technique doesnt work. Then not only do I have an old filter on there, but it has a hole in it. Is the screw driver technique 100% guarantee, or like 95% at least?

Edit - I just tried the leather belt suggestion, it was on the filter, I pulled on the end and tried twisting it with my hand. I kid you not when I say that I put over 100 pounds of force of the filter and it wouldn't come off. I heard some noises, but they werent the filter, I think it was the filter adapter. I am going to bring it over to a mechanic and have them deal with it. My mechanic was able to get it off in a matter of seconds last time I was there, but maybe it was tightened PROPERLY before he got to it
I have run into them where I had to remove the filter in about 10 or more pieces. Every step I had to get more animal like. The last step was using my 24" Channel Locks. It seems that some of the grease monkeys out there figure they'll never see this car/truck again so they'll just make it hard for the next guy to change the filter.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
I like to use the 3 jaw oil filter wrench works similar to the cup as mentioned before but it fits different size filters and digs in to the filter

Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
ford12508
Senior User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
I have run into them where I had to remove the filter in about 10 or more pieces. Every step I had to get more animal like. The last step was using my 24" Channel Locks. It seems that some of the grease monkeys out there figure they'll never see this car/truck again so they'll just make it hard for the next guy to change the filter.
The main problem I was having was that I couldn't get any of my tools into the tiny space up there. I have channel locking pliers that fit around my new motorcraft filter, but I couldn't seem to get them to fit while under the truck. I am going to bring it back to the guy who did it before(With a strap wrench, somehow...) and watch him do it. I have a feeling he didn't change the filter last time I got my oil changed, so who knows.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
you could jack that corner of the truck up it will drop the steering pieces out of you way a little bit

Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
trsimmons25
Senior User
also try turning the wheels all the way to the left (maybe right) and it will give you more space to get a tool on the end of the filter, I also like the 3 jaw tool. Another suggestion would be to just take to the oil change guys and make it their problem and act like you dont know anything about that stuck oil filter.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
ford12508
Senior User
^I did lift the truck up enough to where the wheel had 1 inch of clearance off the ground after I couldn't initially get it, and the wheel wasn,t in the way, it was more of the following:
Tie Rod
Front Differential
Upper control arm

Between the differential and the filter was about a 1/4" of space, so while only being able to get one hand up there, it was hard to use the strap wrench. Also, there was only about 2" of space to turn the wrench, and with the rubber strap wrench I have, that isn't enough.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by trsimmons25
also try turning the wheels all the way to the left (maybe right) and it will give you more space to get a tool on the end of the filter, I also like the 3 jaw tool. Another suggestion would be to just take to the oil change guys and make it their problem and act like you dont know anything about that stuck oil filter.
After they get finished he will probably still have the same filter.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
for all this hassel I'd take it to a ford dealership they usually have a competative price and they use quality parts plus they have a nice inspection that they go through so you can keep track of your brakes and tires etc...

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 AM
offroad360
New User
I just changed mine today using a strap wrench with a knuckle on the handle. I reached up through over the crossmember, below the radiator, put the wrench on the filter, and put the handle in a position I could get some leverage on it. Worked out great!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
mcottle
New User
cup type that fits on a 3/8" drive works every time.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 AM
aba4430
Junior User
Originally Posted by mcottle
cup type that fits on a 3/8" drive works every time.
10-4, a cap wrench with a 3/8" ratchet is perfect. Does the OP have skid plates? If so, remove the skid plates (6 bolts (10 mm socket)). Helps you position the cap wrench and keep gentle pressure on the filter with your left hand (I think) while you use the right hand to turn the filter with the 3/8" ratchet on the cap wrench. Works every time.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil Filter