1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take your 7.3L to reach full operating temp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by A H DEVELOPMENT
I am not really convinced. What you said seems to be hard to believe. It really doesn't make sense that a temp gauge could be off that much. I mean taking temperature of a flowing liquid is not really that complicated. Can you tell me why the gauge gives defective readings??????
They are buffered. What they display may not be what they are actually reading. meaning, fluctuations in temp may not be accurately indicated. The guage may be setup to have a "normal" reading that is 10 degrees wide. A real guage would show those minute differences.

The oil pressure guage is a dummy guage no way around it. Works off a switch, if the engine has over about 5 psi of oil pressure it will show normal and never move unless it loses oil pressure. Waste of dash space.

The trans guage won't move until the trans is seriously over temp.

They do this to keep people from freaking out from normal reading fluctuations (ie my guage is normally on 185, but today it was on 190 what is wrong fix it!)

Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To add to what Chris said, some vendors years back tested the accuracy of the factory gauges. What was discovered is how much "wiggle room" temp-wise there was before these gauges would move off center. I tried to find that article again, but I can't remember which site had it posted. It went around the forums a few years back.

For example, the factory trans temp gauge just below yellow was actually showing to be overheating on an aftermarket gauge.

The coolant temp gauge wasn't much better.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet"
I've read your posts to know that you have no clue about Powerstrokes.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've read your posts to know that you have no clue about Powerstrokes.
The difference between us is, that I am not trying to convince members otherwise

Originally Posted by aldridgec
They are buffered. What they display may not be what they are actually reading. meaning, fluctuations in temp may not be accurately indicated. The guage may be setup to have a "normal" reading that is 10 degrees wide. A real guage would show those minute differences.

The oil pressure guage is a dummy guage no way around it. Works off a switch, if the engine has over about 5 psi of oil pressure it will show normal and never move unless it loses oil pressure. Waste of dash space.

The trans guage won't move until the trans is seriously over temp.

They do this to keep people from freaking out from normal reading fluctuations (ie my guage is normally on 185, but today it was on 190 what is wrong fix it!)
What you call "buffering" become standard for last decade in whole industry. It has nothing to do with gauge accuracy. To my knowledge the reading gauge is controlled by a computer and as you said -it will not alert the driver unless there is emergency.
It is the same situation where last generation of customers got used to pull antennas on cordless phones, than even when technology made them obsolete -the manufacturers kept on putting dummies for years to keep customers happy. Same applies to trip computers where mpg reading was shown instantly. Too many owners were confused with going from 100 mpg to 1 mpg in a second. Most of manufacturers dropped the instant readings.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
What you call "buffering" become standard for last decade in whole industry. It has nothing to do with gauge accuracy.
It has EVERYTHING to do with gauge accuracy. What you said made absolutely zero sense.

If there is buffering, it means there is a temperature range in which the gauge DOESN'T MOVE. So for example, let's say the gauge won't move between 160-215 degrees. If it doesn't move at all during that range, wouldn't that affect accuracy? Why yes, it would.

To my knowledge the reading gauge is controlled by a computer
No, it is NOT controlled by the computer.

On an automatic, the gauge plugs directly into the coolant temp sensor. There is no link between the gauge/sensor and the PCM. Absolutely zero.

On a 6-speed truck, there are two coolant temp sensors. One is identical to the automatics, and is what the dash gauge plugs into. The other goes to the PCM, where it monitors coolant temps for overheating purposes. But once again, the dash gauge has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the PCM.

In both configurations, neither dash gauge is controlled by a computer.

and as you said -it will not alert the driver unless there is emergency.
Hence, the term "dummy gauge". A dummy gauge is one that is not used to monitor actual temps, but rather is the same as a dummy light. When off, a dummy light tells you things are fine. When on, it means something's wrong. Same for a dummy gauge. If it sits in the middle, things are fine. When it it moves, something's wrong. No where does that dummy gauge tell you actual temperatures. There aren't even numbers on the coolant, oil, and trans dash gauges.

It is the same situation where last generation of customers got used to pull antennas on cordless phones, than even when technology made them obsolete -the manufacturers kept on putting dummies for years to keep customers happy. Same applies to trip computers where mpg reading was shown instantly. Too many owners were confused with going from 100 mpg to 1 mpg in a second. Most of manufacturers dropped the instant readings.
See, you got it here. Why couldn't you apply that same logic earlier?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
What you call "buffering" become standard for last decade in whole industry. It has nothing to do with gauge accuracy. To my knowledge the reading gauge is controlled by a computer and as you said -it will not alert the driver unless there is emergency.
Uh, Curtis pretty much got me handled on this.

There are two things with any kind of meter, precision and accuracy. Precision is response to input, accuracy is reporting true readings. You can be precise without being accurate, for instance reporting 175 consistently when the real reading is 195.

Buffered guages are in no way accurate.

The real problem is most people are too stupid or ignorant to understand how a vehicle works and what the guages should show on a normal basis.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Pocket
It has EVERYTHING to do with gauge accuracy. What you said made absolutely zero sense.

If there is buffering, it means there is a temperature range in which the gauge DOESN'T MOVE. So for example, let's say the gauge won't move between 160-215 degrees. If it doesn't move at all during that range, wouldn't that affect accuracy? Why yes, it would.

No, it is NOT controlled by the computer.

On an automatic, the gauge plugs directly into the coolant temp sensor. There is no link between the gauge/sensor and the PCM. Absolutely zero.

On a 6-speed truck, there are two coolant temp sensors. One is identical to the automatics, and is what the dash gauge plugs into. The other goes to the PCM, where it monitors coolant temps for overheating purposes. But once again, the dash gauge has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the PCM.

In both configurations, neither dash gauge is controlled by a computer.

Hence, the term "dummy gauge". A dummy gauge is one that is not used to monitor actual temps, but rather is the same as a dummy light. When off, a dummy light tells you things are fine. When on, it means something's wrong. Same for a dummy gauge. If it sits in the middle, things are fine. When it it moves, something's wrong. No where does that dummy gauge tell you actual temperatures. There aren't even numbers on the coolant, oil, and trans dash gauges.

See, you got it here. Why couldn't you apply that same logic earlier?
Well if temp gauge is not accurate, then it can not tell me if the engine is reaching correct operation temp at any point ,rather it be idling or driving??? However, my guage has no problem communicating "overcooling" ????

If it is true that guages are buffered. Then they should be controlled by computer so that the resultant is of " change in temp" in respect to " change in time". Dummy guages are useless if they can not provide enough warning in advance of trouble/damage/failure. It makes no sense, dummy guages make dummy drivers!!!! You know this is why I hate driving cars with lack of guages, it always seems like you are in the dark about what's going on with the engine.

Are the guages in 18 wheeler rigs dummies??????????

Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
No.

But at the same time there is a bit of a difference between a professional driver who's paid to drive a commercial truck and the average pickup user. This is likely why Ford does it.

That being said, there are MANY of us who want "real" gauges in our trucks! It's a shame that our pickup trucks are dumbed down to avoid people overreacting when their truck operates the way it should.

Temps vary with conditions, lots of people don't understand that!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Well if temp gauge is not accurate, then it can not tell me if the engine is reaching correct operation temp at any point ,rather it be idling or driving??? However, my guage has no problem communicating "overcooling" ????
Correct. It will tell you "overcooling" or "overheating", but that's about it. There are no numbers on the stock gauge, and no way of knowing actual coolant temps unless you install an aftermarket gauge.

If it is true that guages are buffered. Then they should be controlled by computer so that the resultant is of " change in temp" in respect to " change in time". Dummy guages are useless if they can not provide enough warning in advance of trouble/damage/failure. It makes no sense, dummy guages make dummy drivers!!!! You know this is why I hate driving cars with lack of guages, it always seems like you are in the dark about what's going on with the engine.
Should be, but unfortunately not. At least with our trucks and some other vehicles. I have two other vehicles in my garage, one is a 2003 Grand Am, the other is a 2006 X3. Only the Grand Am has actual numbers on the dash coolant temp gauge. I've monitored temps before, and it's pretty accurate. This gauge does not sit dead center like the gauge on my truck. It actually moves up and down as coolant temps vary. If I sit and idle for a while, the coolant temps rise by a good 20 degrees, and the dash gauge reflects it.

The coolant temp gauge on my truck and the X3 never move from center once the engine reaches an operating temp range, not matter what I do.

Not usually. Most rigs have better gauges that monitor temps more accurately, and use gauges that actually have numbers on them.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
A H DEVELOPMENT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys I think I pretty much agree with what you all are saying. Go post on my new thread and vote in the poll. It's about idling.