Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Senior User

fgials is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok so if you have an aftermarket front radio the rear factory entertainment system will not work? I bought miine with a double din pioneer radio in mine, but when you put a dvd in the rear entertainment dvd, the lights will light up on the dvd player for a second then go back out along with the screen will flash once but back off! any thoughts on fixing this? would love to be able to use mine. 02 limited ultimate
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Senior User

slenser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine came with an Alpine deck and the rear system still works. Not sure how they did it.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Senior User

PADoubleX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgials View Post
Ok so if you have an aftermarket front radio the rear factory entertainment system will not work? I bought miine with a double din pioneer radio in mine, but when you put a dvd in the rear entertainment dvd, the lights will light up on the dvd player for a second then go back out along with the screen will flash once but back off! any thoughts on fixing this? would love to be able to use mine. 02 limited ultimate
This is great! I also have a 2002 Limited Ultimate with a Pioneer Head unit.

I'm doing exactly that. I installed a Pioneer AVH-P2300D today. Radio is great. I have no power to the Rear DVD. I'm working on a solution now. FWIW, on the back on the factory Head unit there's two plugs, one I utilized completely, the other is abandonded at the moment.

I'm assuming the "abandoned" connector is the steering wheel controls and the rear entertainment DVD.

I talked to a tech at the local radio place, he's getting back to me tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Senior User

Sweet. Thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior User

Callmed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
my local guy knew exactly how to make a aftermarket head unit work with the factory rear dvd player. he said some shops wont do it cause they dont know what needs to be done. if u want the steering wheel controls to still work on the aftermarket radio they install some type of module to make it work.

i have aftermarket head unit and aftermarket rear dvd setup and my steering controls still work.

I have the factory 6 disc radio and whole rear dvd system (rear climate controls,dvd screen, dvd player thats all together) sitting in my shop. I upgraded everything at one time.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

If anyone wants this stuff offer me a fair price and a little for shipping and its urs. not trying to hijack ur thread. just thought maybe someone might need the headunit or rear dvd system to make/finish there truck.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Senior User

nagetech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Howdy!

If you removed the rear a/c controls, what did you put in it's place? just curious as I have been toying around with the idea of upgrading the X's sound system, but never though about taking the rear a/c controls out
Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior User

Callmed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The controls i removed are the 3rd set of controls. I can still control the rear air with the 2nd set of controls on the roof front center controls
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior User

Mine doesn't have the black squares on each corner of the dropdown monitor. Infared for headphones?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior User

UPDATE:

Just got power to the Factory DVD with aftermarket Pioneer AVH-P2300D. So simple.

Accessory harness from back of factory head unit. Green with black stripe to ACC 12 V (red wire)

Black from same harness to black of factory harness. Viola. DVD player plays.

Going back out to splice in RCA connectors to port sound to speakers. I think it only works now with the IR headphones. Will confirm shortly.

This is for a 2002 Excursion. It must be non CanBus.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Senior User

nghtrgr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Snap some pictures......Please....if its not too much trouble. thx

2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L- 6" ProComp, 35" Toyo on 18" MT Classic Locks, 4" exhaust
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Senior User

OK.

I attached a RCA connector to light green/red - left dvd audio out (-)
violet - left audio in (+)

A second RCA connector to
orange/black stripe right audio out (-)
grey right audio out(+)

Hooked it all up, unacceptable buzz over the speakers.

Took the light green wire from AVH-P2300DVD spliced to ground. This wire assures DVD played only plays when parking brake is set. Not anymore.

My latest plan is to run a 25 foot RCA cable from back of head unit to DVD player. Mocked it up, everything works perfect. Off to radio shack to get cable then route through headliner and over to head unit.

Next plan is to get the headphones to work. These are wired, there must be a connection in the DVD player itself. The center console no longer works after install of aftermarket head unit.

Anyone know how to power center console controls again?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior User

No pics yet.

Here is what I found.

You can't ground the green wire. It only works until you turn truck off.

I wired a normally closed pushbutton swith in between the ground and and the head unit. (fancy talk for cut green wire attach both ends to pushbutton switch and connect loose end of green wire to black) Make sure you have a "normally closed momentary switch" (RadioShack 4 for 4 bucks.)

Second. I ran a 20 cable with RCA connectors on each end. Connect to video out of head unit, run underneath glove box, under the plastics on door sill, up second door weatherstripping and across to front of DVD connect to the yellow female RCA.

I kinda looped mine through the vent to hide some of it. When I get more time I'll probably run it under the headliner.

End result. DVDs play in the head unit, on both the head unit screen and the overhead factory entertainment system. Sound plays through speakers perfectly.

DVD's will play in the Factory DVD play on the rear entertainment screen. No sound. No headphones yet. I have no power at the center console.

Have to figure that out next.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Freshman User

Cbale is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Cbale is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey Callmed- do you still have the head unit and dvd system for the Excursion? Thought i would take a shot at it... thanks...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Senior User

shaferz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bump. Looking to do something similar. Difference is that i would like to be able to listen to music in the front, but be able to play sound for the overhead monitor to the rear speakers.

Is this even possible? Are there units out there that can output two different sources at once?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
I think you are talking dual-zone units which would be the high end Kenwoods? Wish I would have gotten one instead of my JVC for that reason.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 PM